Campground Etiquette - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
What bothers me is that "others" (in any circumstance) aren't taught/conditioned at some point in their upbringing to simply consider before they act, "will my actions adversely impact someone else?" Our mindset is to go out of our way to not bother others. Not because we're any better, but that putting others before ourselves was what we were taugh as children. When did that become passé?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Ugh, 27 years of a career with state parks starting out as a ranger all the way up to being a living on site manager/peace officer and these stories bring back memories. I was out till 1 or 2 in the morning most Fri-Sat nights trying to ride herd on a lot of the problems y'all are speaking of. You usually got 2 warnings, the third one meant you got your choice: leave with a citation or without one, but you were leaving regardless. My advice: you're retired?-camp Sun-Thur, try to avoid the huge popular places during the summer (and spring break!). Man, all these posts make me question why I want a trailer to get back out there!!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:57 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Because you know you miss it.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Many of the issues we have encountered in our state parks are fueled by alcohol . The volume levels of music , tv's and speach seems to increase at the same rate as the consumption of alcohol.
I wish Wisconsin would place some reasonable limits on drinking in their public parks but that's not likely . We camp at our state parks during the week and avoid camping there on weekends. The Park Rangers try to maintain some semblance of order but it is an impossible task with little support from the State.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:25 AM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Many of the issues we have encountered in our state parks are fueled by alcohol .
So true. I'd say that during the ten years I was in law enforcement, at least 70% of all the calls I responded to were related to alcohol in some way.

I often get on my high horse and talk about how the government has too many laws and that they should leave people alone, but then I remember that many people simply can't control themselves - and the government winds up doing it for them.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:10 AM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We've tried to avoid camping on summer Holidays long ago for just that reason.

I recently made reservations for Sam Houston Jones SP in Louisiana for New Years Eve as we'll be on the road over that holiday, not knowing if campgrounds fill up in the south for such.

Made the mistake of heading to WY just before Labor Day the fall we got the Escape, no camping to be found anywhere over the weekend driving through the midwest. Good ole Wal-Mart to the rescue.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #47

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Our mindset is to go out of our way to not bother others. Not because we're any better, but that putting others before ourselves was what we were taugh as children.

Our generation was taught to respect others and our elders. We watched "leave it to Beaver", Andy Griffin" etc while growing up. Always a moral was taught. We have to remember that the younger generation was brought up on "Bart Simpson" and "The Family Guy". I never let my kids watch these, don't let my Grand kids either. This along with, prayer (do un to others) pledge of allegiance, and morals taking a back seat in our schools, lack of parental guidance, and we have our current crop of new campers.
Just my opinion. I could be wrong, I'm usually wrong on a regular basis, my wife will tell you.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
No alcohol allowed in Pennsylvania SP, automatic fine and expulsion.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
No alcohol allowed in Pennsylvania SP, automatic fine and expulsion.
Wisconsin has little or no laws against drinking in park
We were camping with our grandkids at a Wisconsin State Park.
In the picnic area next to the beach a group of people pushed 2 picnic tables together end to end and set up a bar .Both tables were covered with wine and booze bottles plus numerous coolers of beer . They then proceeded to get obnoxiously drunk , falling down drunk. This was no place for my grandkids so we left . I talked to the Park Ranger and that as long as they weren't making noise after 10 PM or walking on the beach with glass bottles there wasn't much he could do except talk to them. I wish Wisconsin would see the light and set some limits on drinking in their parks but considering your first DWI in Wisconsin is only a petty misdemeanor , I don't see it happening. I apologize for my tirade but I don't think you have to drink to have fun !!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find the older I age, the less alcohol I want....
Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Doesn't WI have laws against being drunk in public?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #52

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Texas State Parks prohibit "public display or consumption of alcoholic beverages." I think this is perfect.

If you are discrete enough that nobody knows you're consuming them, no problem.

But you can be fined or asked to leave (depending on your attitude) for even leaving the empties around in plain sight.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Out of sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Texas State Parks prohibit "public display or consumption of alcoholic beverages." I think this is perfect.

If you are discrete enough that nobody knows you're consuming them, no problem.

But you can be fined or asked to leave (depending on your attitude) for even leaving the empties around in plain sight.
I have encountered the no liquor in sight rule many times and I have to agree that it seems to be very effective, especially when coupled with regular drive through patrols by a uniformed person, even if the are "just" the camp host. The camp host program has helped restore civility in many campgrounds in many locations. For short trips, we like to camp Sunday through Friday morning. If we're going to be out over a holiday weekend, we don't hesitate to choose a campground known for rules enforcement. I don't mind staying near the camp host, I like to see if I can learn from them if they are talkative. I never like to move to a new site on a holiday weekend. I stay through the morning of the last day of the weekend and usually find my next night is in a nearly empty campground.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #54

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The camp host program has helped restore civility in many campgrounds in many locations.
When campgrounds have a host, do you know about this in advance? Is it listed on their website? Or do you just learn through experience?

Do hosts have the authority to kick people out? What is their exact role? Do you call on them if you're having problems with your site, your rig or others at the campground? I'm assuming they're there for stuff like that, as well as making sure the place is clean and tidy and all that. But, since camping is new to me, I don't want to assume!

If someone is violating the quiet hours, do you go find the host (if there is one) and bang on their door to let them know? and hope they can take care of it so you can get some sleep.

So, for drunks, don't stay in WI, but do stay in TX if you want to avoid them. Both are rather far from WA.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #55

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
So true. I'd say that during the ten years I was in law enforcement, at least 70% of all the calls I responded to were related to alcohol in some way.

I often get on my high horse and talk about how the government has too many laws and that they should leave people alone, but then I remember that many people simply can't control themselves - and the government winds up doing it for them.
I don't have a lot of tolerance for out of hand drinking and carrying on . My baby brother was mowed down from a drunk , coming home after work after his son's baseball game . His was to save gas, riding his motorcycle . A large bike . The damage something like that does to a family is unthinkable . The man that killed my brother didn't even know he ran him over with his big truck . He kept going . Citizen's made him stop and held him until the police got there . When I see people drinking and carrying on , I get sick in my stomach . I don't have a problem sitting quietly having a glass of wine or a beer , just chilling . I will myself sometimes . But just to get drunk and unruly ,and impact everyone around you . I do have a problem with that and wish we had more laws . Alright off my soapbox. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Doesn't WI have laws against being drunk in public?
If they do it is not enforced . In Wisconsin you can bring your 12 year old child into a bar and they can sit at the bar and drink as long as you are there and buy the drinks . Wisconsin does limit how late children can be in the bar on school nights . My buddy's wife got her fourth DWI in 5 Years and blew a 3.4. .Her punishment was an $800 fine and 12 hours of dry out classes. I don't consume alcohol ,so maybe I am more sensitive to the issue but drinking to excess in public places here is an issue. There is a reason the Milwaukee brewers cut off beer sales after the 7th inning and why the Green Bay Packers limit beer sales in the second half of football games.
The culture here encourages alcohol consumption. We avoid going out on Friday and Saturday nights to avoid getting killed by a drunk driver .
Old 03-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We seem to have more of a problem in our neighborhood than we do camping. The dogs left out in the back yards barking away non stop, leaving flood lights on all night shining over the fences, sitting outside and talking loud/partying till wee hours, etc. If you try and approach anyone on these issues you're met with rudeness most of the time with no resolution.
We live in what would be regarded as a very good area, but I look forward to going camping sometimes to get away from the neighborhood noise and battles that seem to constantly go on between neighbors here.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #58

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
With respect to camp hosts, duties vary widely. I find that I like to research where I plan to stay so that I do not miss out on a best kept local secret, know the rules on having a pet, alcohol, fishing opportunities etc. A cursory review of Washington State parks a few minutes ago showed they have a camp host program and further examination would no doubt uncover duties and responsibilities etc. I usually ask the camp host or the person at the fee booth for a recommendation on a local restaurant or grocery store. Rarely have they ever steered me wrong. Establishing rapport is always worthwhile. I called a ranger about camping in an out of the way place last summer. When I mentioned having a dog he quickly informed me that this area was known for rattlesnakes. Didn't list that on the website but made a difference to us.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #59

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In general, campsites in Canada are treated as residences, so you can consume alcohol in them as you would at home... but public areas are subject to the same rules as any other public area, which prohibit consumption except in licensed premises. That makes sense to me, but doesn't help with the irresponsible drinkers in the next site any more than it does with those same people when they are next door at home.

Since morons will not control themselves, parks have resorted over the last decade or so to more restrictions at the times when they have experienced the most problems, and in the locations where they have occurred. On long weekends, when many people go to parks just to party, alcohol is entirely banned at many campgrounds. It is also banned all of the time in some specific Alberta Parks.

For this to work, there must of course be a warden or ranger or similar authority available; the rule is then a tool they can use to control behaviour.

Example, from Parks Canada - Banff National Park - Rules & Regulations:
Quote:
From May to September, a number of policies are in place to ensure visitors get a good night's sleep. Daily alcohol consumption bans are in effect (quiet hours). On long weekends, a full alcohol ban on the possession of alcohol will also be in effect.
An old news item from the time that rules were changing: Alberta joins liquor ban in national, provincial parks for May long weekend | Globalnews.ca
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #60

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Ugh, 27 years of a career with state parks starting out as a ranger all the way up to being a living on site manager/peace officer and these stories bring back memories. I was out till 1 or 2 in the morning most Fri-Sat nights trying to ride herd on a lot of the problems y'all are speaking of. You usually got 2 warnings, the third one meant you got your choice: leave with a citation or without one, but you were leaving regardless. My advice: you're retired?-camp Sun-Thur, try to avoid the huge popular places during the summer (and spring break!). Man, all these posts make me question why I want a trailer to get back out there!!
Feel for you! Parks are beautiful place to gather...however on holidays they become a nightmare! Most have no alcohol policy....which is always ignored by the patrons. The area one has to patrol is huge not to mention different parks in the coverage area with miles and miles between. You can't be everywhere at the same time. Often times radios don't work due to the lack of repeaters...as with cell phones.

Best wishes on getting a trailer and enjoying life. At least you're aware of when and where to go......to find peace.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote