Campground Etiquette - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #61

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17
Choice between campsite neighbors enjoying their merlot (or whatever pleases them) or running a generator, I'd opt for the alcohol every time.

A total alcohol ban on long weekends just seems un-Canadian....must be in the Implied Bill of Rights somewhere?
advdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
If you want a quiet, peaceful getaway I can recommend that you avoid Big Bend NP over the Easter weekend. We have no policy on alcohol and big extended families show up, often violating the 8 people per site regulation. And lucky me was the front line party-pooper trying to keep the peace and quiet during quiet hours. It was painful...

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #63

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Alan,
You brought back memories of a July 4th weekend we hunkered down at San Simeon State Park CA. The partiers came in from Redding and Sacramento and they were stacked in like cordwood, way over the site limit. Park didn't seem to care and actually the folks were just there to let off steam and were pretty good overall.

Bonus was when they all left on Sunday, they brought tons of their firewood over and gave it to us since we were staying. Had a great bonfire on Sunday night.

Hang in there, Alan, Cinco De Mayo is just over the horizon...
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:57 AM   #64

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I like to drink a little when camping and I would miss it . I've not really had any big issues with fellow campers some get a little loud but quiet down by 11 at night.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #65

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by advdave View Post
Choice between campsite neighbors enjoying their merlot (or whatever pleases them) or running a generator, I'd opt for the alcohol every time.
I doubt there have been issues with campsite neighbors enjoying a glass of Merlot. On the other hand, after a six-pack of whatever beer is cheap (or wine, who knows), the jerks get pretty obnoxious. Nothing gets banned because of what happens when reasonable people do it... which is back to the basic rule of etiquette: consider the effect of your actions on others.

Quote:
A total alcohol ban on long weekends just seems un-Canadian....must be in the Implied Bill of Rights somewhere?
No, consuming alcohol in a park is not a right.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #66
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Totally agree, Brian. Alcohol should come with a warning on the bottle that if you're an irresponsible ass, don't buy it. Unfortunately, those seem to be the type that buy it the most.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Maybe the Second Amendment got changed;

A well oiled public, being necessary for the enjoyment of a drunken state, the right of yahoos to buy booze and become obnoxious shall not be infringed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #68

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Recommendations don't help. If they are doing these things, they seem to consider it their right. Considerate people don't do them in the first place. Our trip this summer was spoiled by many of these actions, and in part caused us to reconsider state parks, provincial parks, national parks, and any type of organized camping, as well as dispersed camping in a large space. Maybe boon docking if we can find a spot remote enough. Yes, we have 2 dogs, we do have a drink before dinner, but it's all under control. No, we aren't perfect, but we have a right to our quiet and privacy, which does not infringe upon others. Unfortunately, their rights to their behavior infringe upon us. Just call me a grump. And we have met others who feel the same way.
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Behavior

We were camped at St Malo provincial park in Manitoba last weekend. The campground loops were full. We returned to the Escape from the campfire about 10 PM Friday night. I remarked how quiet it was. Seconds later we met two park rangers on foot patrol. It was quiet, reassuring, and a very professional way to run a campground. We like camping on Sunday through Thursday nights and usually stay away from three day weekends. I have no problem notifying management, public or private, if I have a problem, they work for me.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #70

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
And don't forget Dave that the neighbours in the next loop with four young boys playing ball were scolded by parents for letting ball roll over into our sites. I believe that St. Malo generally attracts families rather than partying young people. Don't think I told you that at Grand Beach, where we were camped when I got sick in July has a number of loops where alcohol is not allowed all summer, so families can get away from the "partiers"

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #71

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
My pet peeve is children. I love kids- I enjoy talking to them, and don't mind them riding bikes and scooters and wanting to pet the dogs- while we are on walks. I don't like them riding bikes and scooters after dark while Mom and Dad drink, or before 7 am ("You kids go ride your bikes and let mommy sleep!" or continuing to intrude on our campsite privacy after being asked to leave the dogs alone there (and no, sneaking up to spy on them makes it worse, not better!) But it does come back to common courtesy and whether they are being taught to respect others or not, and to whether the parents are on vacation from their children while camping (some seem to think they are).
Some kids are just wonderful and it makes the trip more enjoyable to see them having fun.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Kids

Hi Adrian
How are you doing? Hope all is good. Yep. Those boys were full of energy but were no problem. Their Dad even came over as we were heading out to make sure we weren't mad at him or his family. I could next to nice
folks like that all summer. Elora Gorrge PP
In Ontario was no alcohol too. Common courtesy is sometimes an oxymoron, especially around morons.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #73

Trailer: 5.0 TA Dec 2014
Please, please, please honor the "quiet time" hours posted at most campgrounds. Listening to detailed conversations at 2 AM infuriates me!
CraigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #74
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
My favorite idiot is the one who leave their dogs inside their rigs barking all day, then complain about the noisy kids when the spot they chose is next to a playground. I spent a lot of time and energy training my dogs to be quiet when in the camper, block off any view that might excite them, and play music (and air conditioner on low fan) to mask outside stimulus.

You can't train my grandkids to be quiet at a playground!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 PM   #75

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
As I said in a different thread, we had a wonderful time at Wellesley Island but there were some lapses in etiquette that were annoying and one situation that was disturbing. There was one camper that had some kind of laser thing that lit up trees with sparkles -- I would say that trees were lit up two or three hundred feet away from the machine. These folks also kept their lights on all night, as did several others. One weekend night there was some pretty rude behavior (I'll spare the details) in the restroom as well as lots of music. Luckily for us we were far enough away from the lights and the parties, and in general the campground did quiet down at night. Also, once we enter the Escape, it's insulated enough to keep out light and noise.

The first week, our closest neighbors ran their generator the maximum allowed -- six hours a day. Fortunately there was enough open space (and empty campsites) near us so that we could often get away from it but it was oppressive.

But the worst was that our daughter -- who was closer -- kept hearing this one family as they hit their child. They didn't seem to care that their voices (and the child's screams) easily were heard through the walls of their tent. I wonder what others would have done in that situation.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
But the worst was that our daughter -- who was closer -- kept hearing this one family as they hit their child. They didn't seem to care that their voices (and the child's screams) easily were heard through the walls of their tent. I wonder what others would have done in that situation.
This made me ill. At the very least I would have spoken to a park ranger, if I didn't receive any satisfaction, I would have called the police. No child deserves to be hit, NO CHILD EVER!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:48 AM   #77
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Bobbie, my peeve isn't children, it's parents who don't parent. Like you, we enjoy meeting youngsters while camping, and for the most part, kids are great. The ones who cut through your campsite at night or who raise a ruckus are a direct result of a parent who is either unwilling or unable to teach their kid how to behave in public - or who lets them run wild when they should be tucked away in their sleeping bag. It's not just at campsites, but anywhere. I have had the opportunity to mentor kids, both when I was a police officer and afterwards. The funny thing is that in most cases it's the parents who could use some mentoring. Give a kid love and structure and an amazing thing happens - a responsible adult.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:39 AM   #78

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and cellphones, for some reason people seem to think that while they are on their phone there is a "cone of silence" around them, there is not and I'm tired of hearing other people's one way conversations.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:02 AM   #79

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
These types of behavior seem to be most prevalent at public campgrounds, which unfortunately are the types we prefer. Don't know if it's the cheaper prices or the minimum of rule enforcement that attracts such folks.

One can always leave and go elsewhere.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #80

Some people just don't care about anyone else. Our pet peeve is people starting their generators at 6 am or leaving it running most of the day. Or starting up their big diesel truck to warm up for half an hour......so much for peace and quiet !
littleredtj is offline   Reply With Quote