Campground Etiquette - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... One thing I like about having our Niagara Wine Escape rally at The Riverside Motel and Campground is the owners actually live there. It's their summer home. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I paid under 5 bucks for this meter. Last week my bro-in-law bought one for $1.36. Tells you at as glance what the situation is.

I ran a switched cable from my tug battery to the 7 pin connector. Works fine but since I added solar I've never felt the need to use it. But it's there if I ever need it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
13-10-2014 2-02-06 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #83

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Well now I've seen it all, while shopping at Walmart I noticed this guy. All set up including a BBQ and comfy chair. Others had slides, all sorts of camping paraphernalia and awnings out. No wonder some locations won't let people stay overnight.

Cheers
Doug
Old 08-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #84

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Nice lookin camp chair.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
But where is the tow? I thought you can/could not disconnect unless there was an emergency repair needed?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #86

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Half the units at this Walmart the tow vehicle was gone, not connected, other also had a BBQ out [emoji17]

Cheers
Doug
Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #87

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Jim
Might have had the truck in the Walmart Shop getting a Transmission overhaul or might have been making a run to Costco for low priced groceries. My top sighting of a Walmart overnighter was last Friday night in my home town (Cedar Rapids, Iowa). A Prevost motor home. A most long time campers know, just when you think you've seen it all....... In Montana two weeks ago I was treated to the eternally enjoyable light inside a yellow tent, get ready for bed silhouette show. Sang the song by the Rays with some paraphrasing all the way back to the Escape.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Well now I've seen it all, while shopping at Walmart I noticed this guy. All set up including a BBQ and comfy chair. Others had slides, all sorts of camping paraphernalia and awnings out. No wonder some locations won't let people stay overnight.

Cheers
Doug
That situation isn't that uncommon. Not encouraged but it happens. I don't think that's the reason some Walmarts won't allow overnighting. The two most common reasons are; county by-laws, maybe with the prompting of local RV park owners and malls that aren't owned by Walmart and have a restrictive policy for overnight parking.

I do kind of cringe when I see that situation because we're a pretty heavy user of Walmart parking and I'd hate to see it end. One place where it's totally out of control is Whitehorse, Yukon. The lot looked like a refugee camp. A huge part of the lot was taken up with units that obviously hadn't moved for quite awhile. Glad we hadn't planned on staying there.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #89

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
My Walmart favorite is when people pull their trailer up to a parking lot storm drain in the back of the lot and dump their black and grey tanks. Finding a pile of dirty toilet paper sitting on the sewer grate must cause Walmart to second guess their RV parking policy.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #90

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Jim
Might have had the truck in the Walmart Shop getting a Transmission overhaul or might have been making a run to Costco for low priced groceries. My top sighting of a Walmart overnighter was last Friday night in my home town (Cedar Rapids, Iowa). A Prevost motor home. A most long time campers know, just when you think you've seen it all....... In Montana two weeks ago I was treated to the eternally enjoyable light inside a yellow tent, get ready for bed silhouette show. Sang the song by the Rays with some paraphrasing all the way back to the Escape.
Iowa Dave
Last Sunday I noticed the tent trailer shaking next to us. There was some serious motion in the ocean going on.

Earlier the wife had crawled into the back bed to raise the support when they were setting up and they had not yet lowered the stabilizers. So it dipped down and had her against the end. He ran over and lifted it while she hollered.

And the best of all was they had 3 dogs in a small tent trailer, 2 were maybe 25 pounders but one looked like a shaggy great dane.
So they and the dog across the way had a barkfest going on most of the time. I was so glad when both groups left Tuesday morning.
I assume they somehow are able to tune the barking out.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #91

Them darn stabilizers

In Scouts we had a trailer made from a pickup box and a topper. The quarter master Scout would not listen Ever. He was told to put the two jack stands under the trailer corners before climbing into the trailer. "Jack stands are for suckers"' he said. When the trailer tipped out came the Scout and about a thousand pounds of Scout gear. After everyone was done laughing at him we pitched in and reloaded the trailer. For the next ten years as the topper back window went up somebody would invariably yell Jack stands are for suckers
Dave
Old 08-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
When I was a teenager I went on a family trip to New England. We used a pop-up tent trailer. One night my mother and my aunt, who were, um, not small women, were in the fold-out bed at one end of the trailer and I, a skinny fifteen-year-old, was in the fold-out bed at the other end. Suddenly something gave way and I was catapulted into the air. Since then I have strategically gained mass so that I can't be tossed around so easily.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #93

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
My pet peeve is children. I love kids- I enjoy talking to them, and don't mind them riding bikes and scooters and wanting to pet the dogs- while we are on walks. I don't like them riding bikes and scooters after dark while Mom and Dad drink, or before 7 am ("You kids go ride your bikes and let mommy sleep!" or continuing to intrude on our campsite privacy after being asked to leave the dogs alone there (and no, sneaking up to spy on them makes it worse, not better!) But it does come back to common courtesy and whether they are being taught to respect others or not, and to whether the parents are on vacation from their children while camping (some seem to think they are).
Some kids are just wonderful and it makes the trip more enjoyable to see them having fun.
Just returned from a campout where we'd previously had problems with kids. Next to us was a guy with his twin boys, age 8. We had along a 6 year old and this was the first year he was old enough to ride his bike alone around the campground, so he made friends with the boys. The kids were very polite and asked if they could visit with the dogs, did what their dad said, and even offered to walk my dogs (the two who would go off with them enjoyed this!) As they were getting ready to leave dad came over and apologized for his kids hanging around- we told him they were delightful kids and welcome any time, they were very careful not to overstay their welcome and never a complaint about them. (And the six year old was sorry they were gone.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #94

Kids

I like kids. Last year at St Malo Manitoba Adrian and I camped near a couple campers with about 5 or 6 young boys. It was fun to watch their antics. About the time we were packing up, one of the dads came over to apologize and our response was "for what?. These were very good kids. Course they were Canadian. If you are a large old man in need of a haircut you can keep kids away from your site by yelling "Hey Little girl do you want some candy?" The parents will take care of the rest including summoning authorities
Dave
Old 08-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But where is the tow? I thought you can/could not disconnect unless there was an emergency repair needed?
Coming back from pickup in BC we stopped at a Walmart to get our oil changed. While I was inside getting the truck in the service bay, a lady pulled into a parking spot exactly where our tow would hookup to the trailer. Fortunately she returned about the time we were ready to hook back up. It was a big mall and I had visions of her being gone shopping for several hours.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #96

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Boy that would be scary. Reminds me of when we have blizzards here and after you shovel out your parking spot and leave for work and when coming home you find that some clown parked in your shoveled spot and you either ask them to move or you shovel another spot. My dad went out one night and turned the water hose on the vehicle that took his spot, it never happened again.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #97

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Boy that would be scary. Reminds me of when we have blizzards here and after you shovel out your parking spot and leave for work and when coming home you find that some clown parked in your shoveled spot and you either ask them to move or you shovel another spot. My dad went out one night and turned the water hose on the vehicle that took his spot, it never happened again.
For us it was at an event, all parking was full and we lucked out and found a couple who were leaving so we drove them to their car. We waited while they pulled out and another vehicle coming the other direction pulled in the spot.
I rolled down the window as they got out and it was an older couple. My wife was going on about not causing a scene. So I decided to be flip about it and told them that's alright we were waiting for the spot but you will beat us to the grave too.
We drove around a bit more gave up and left, it poured shortly afterwards and I read where they ended up closing the event. I do hope the parking spot thieves got soaked
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #98

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
When we lived in the city we had a neighbor who would never move his car during a snow emergency forcing the plows to go around his vehicle . I told a friend of mine who plows snow for the city about the problems we were having getting our street clean .
He assured me he would take care of it . The next time we had a big heavy wet snow fall the neighbors car got totally buried in wet snow. That night the temps dropped to about 10 below zero and when he woke up in the morning his car was encased in a block of solid ice. He moved his car for the plows after that.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #99

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I do kind of cringe when I see that situation because we're a pretty heavy user of Walmart parking and I'd hate to see it end.
I feel the same. I love using Walmart or similar spots when on the go, and would hate to see this convenience end. I always try to buy stuff we need anyway there as a bit of a payback. Heck, early one morning after a Superstore stop in Vernon, BC, the fellow who opened the gas station in the parking lot hollered to us and said he had a hose for good fresh water if we wanted. He did not know that we had bought two cylinders of propane the night before, but karma musta.

freecampsites.net has found us some great spots. On the way to Salmon Arm just over a week ago, we stopped at a spot someone reported right near Canyon Hot Springs. A couple hundred metres off the highway with a rushing stream nearby to drown out any highway noise. This was on the north side of the Trans Canada, and the train is on the south so that was not a bother either. Enjoyed a wonderful nights sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When we lived in the city we had a neighbor who would never move his car during a snow emergency forcing the plows to go around his vehicle . I told a friend of mine who plows snow for the city about the problems we were having getting our street clean .
He assured me he would take care of it . The next time we had a big heavy wet snow fall the neighbors car got totally buried in wet snow. That night the temps dropped to about 10 below zero and when he woke up in the morning his car was encased in a block of solid ice. He moved his car for the plows after that.
Do that in Calgary on a snow route and you will be towed. It is the law to move when announced.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:37 AM   #100

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
My last Walmart experience there was a trailer parked with no tow. No big deal compared to our first time pulling into a Walmart in KS a trailer plugged into a post with electric and two Walmart employees standing waiting for the owners. Pulled up and said jokingly that I didn't know Walmart provided power they said we don't. All evening the store kept announcing looking for the owners of the trailer. We never did see them that night.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote