Camping in Manitoba? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Camping in Manitoba?

Yesterday we came across our U.S. passports and are surprised to learn that they are valid for five more years. This stimulates an interest in camping in Canada. The closest province to us would be a drive straight north to Manitoba. We haven't begun our research on what's available there, and thought this forum might give us a jump start. Where do you like to camp in Manitoba?
Old 12-31-2015, 07:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If you like to fish try Moose Lake provincial Park near Spraque.
The park borders Lake of the Woods.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Manitoba is a beautiful province with many camping opportunities. However, If you do decide to summer camp in Manitoba, be aware that they have mosquitos the size of small birds that are fully capable of sucking the entire blood supply from a small child. Bring mosquito repellent.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Manitoba is a beautiful province with many camping opportunities. However, If you do decide to summer camp in Manitoba, be aware that they have mosquitos the size of small birds that are fully capable of sucking the entire blood supply from a small child. Bring mosquito repellent.
Along with may flies , black flies and no seeums.
Still a great place to visit . The Canadian people are
extremely nice and welcoming even the Canadian Border
Patrol is friendly.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If you like to fish try Moose Lake provincial Park near Spraque.
The park borders Lake of the Woods.
We don't fish. We enjoy scenery and historic or cultural sights.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Ooh, the bugs sound ferocious! Are there some good months that aren't below freezing that are less buggy?
Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Most of the areas in Canada plagued by insects have a few weeks a year between freezing temperatures and bugs, but timing it in advance is usually impossible -- the bug-free seasons vary from year to year by more weeks than they typically last.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Liz and Jay

Ignore the comments about the mosquitos being large, they are just bothersome, and black flies - they are gone when the hot weather hits, and we can get plenty of hot weather in July and August often in the eighties and into the nineties sometimes

Birds Hill Provincial Park is not the greatest for camping but if you want to explore the sights of Winnipeg, great museum, lots of history, Lower Fort Garry, the park is just north of the city.

Riding Mountain National Park is further away but beautiful, earlier this month Clear Lake there froze solid without any snow on it a few weeks ago and you could skate for miles. Of course you won't be doing that in the summer

We would be glad to show you the sites, we are not far from Winnipeg, in fact we are right at the border at the end of I29, cross the border and you are in our town, you'd be welcome to boondock chez nous! Just PM me if interested.

Adrian

p.s. last January we enjoyed a visit to Omaha, your zoo is wonderful! We are through Council Bluffs regularly as our daughter and granddaughter are at Fort Leavenworth.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
This is on our bucket list for Spring camping just north of Winnipeg.

Narcisse Snake Pits

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wi...mon/narsnakes/

A sample of the action:

Enjoy,
Peter H.
"Eggie Sue"
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
This is on our bucket list for Spring camping just north of Winnipeg.

Narcisse Snake Pits

Wildlife Branch | Conservation and Water Stewardship | Province of Manitoba

A sample of the action:

Enjoy,
Peter H.
"Eggie Sue"
Now that to me would be an interesting attraction. Snakes have fascinated me for many years. When I was Parks Superintendent in Cedar Rapids I worked with the Nature Center director to build a hibernaculum which was pretty successful. We built two but one was a little to close to the water table and never caught on. I need to look up a friend who lives in extreme northern Montana across the Manitoba border. Maybe I'll get up that way this year.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Liz and Jay

Ignore the comments about the mosquitos being large, they are just bothersome, and black flies - they are gone when the hot weather hits, and we can get plenty of hot weather in July and August often in the eighties and into the nineties sometimes

Birds Hill Provincial Park is not the greatest for camping but if you want to explore the sights of Winnipeg, great museum, lots of history, Lower Fort Garry, the park is just north of the city.

Riding Mountain National Park is further away but beautiful, earlier this month Clear Lake there froze solid without any snow on it a few weeks ago and you could skate for miles. Of course you won't be doing that in the summer

We would be glad to show you the sites, we are not far from Winnipeg, in fact we are right at the border at the end of I29, cross the border and you are in our town, you'd be welcome to boondock chez nous! Just PM me if interested.

Adrian

p.s. last January we enjoyed a visit to Omaha, your zoo is wonderful! We are through Council Bluffs regularly as our daughter and granddaughter are at Fort Leavenworth.
Nice offer, Adrian, and thanks for the suggestions. We will be in touch when we get our plans moving along. We're so glad you got to visit our zoo! It is considered world-class, and no year goes by without some major renovation, always making it better and better.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
I suggest Riding Mountain National Park. Reservations go online January 19. Check out
pc.gc.ca
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Now that to me would be an interesting attraction. Snakes have fascinated me for many years. When I was Parks Superintendent in Cedar Rapids I worked with the Nature Center director to build a hibernaculum which was pretty successful. We built two but one was a little to close to the water table and never caught on. I need to look up a friend who lives in extreme northern Montana across the Manitoba border. Maybe I'll get up that way this year.
Dave
Hi Dave

It would be nice to see you if you come up this way, but Montana and Manitoba do not touch, MB is beside MN and ND, across the border from Montana is BC, AB and SK.

Happy New Year, Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Hi Dave

It would be nice to see you if you come up this way, but Montana and Manitoba do not touch, MB is beside MN and ND, across the border from Montana is BC, AB and SK.

Happy New Year, Adrian
For kicks and giggles I was planning a trip on roads less traveled back east to visit my wife’s family in Ontario and my family in Ohio when I stumbled upon Uranium City on the northern shore of Lake Athabasca, fascinating history. Crap, now I want to buy and outfit a Jeep Rubicon for a trip on the winter road for a visit. Scott

Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Alpha Male

Quote:
Hi Dave

Happy New Year, Adrian
Adrian,
Being an Alpha Male Coyote and not caring much for road maps ( Rita wraps my sandwiches in them, do you think she's trying to tell me something?) , I am really only a trailer pulling chauffeur and Rita is the tour director. I was hunting garter snakes the day they taught Canadian geography. So that's my excuse for not knowing where I am at or going most of the time. I'd like to get up your way this year and see you and Beth. I hope you have a wonderful 2016. Keep in touch, we will, I promise.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
For kicks and giggles I was planning a trip on roads less traveled back east to visit my wife’s family in Ontario and my family in Ohio when I stumbled upon Uranium City on the northern shore of Lake Athabasca, fascinating history. Crap, now I want to buy and outfit a Jeep Rubicon for a trip on the winter road for a visit. Scott
Wow, that would be a trip!

While the ice road would be interesting, it might make more sense to take a barge from Stony Rapids (the end of the all-weather highway) to Uranium City, if only because that would mean visiting (and driving the highways) in the summer instead of mid-winter. I have no idea of the cost, or even what company might operate the barge, but they could even take the whole tug and Escape rig.

Fortunately, there are lots of interesting places which are more accessible!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote