Colfax CA Campground- Beware! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Colfax CA Campground- Beware!

Saw this story on my newsfeed the other day about some campers being threatened by some low-life's. Well, we were at that campground on our last night out; last Friday night and we had a problem another "camper"- a dude with two vehicles in his site looking like they lived there.

We pull in and back into site #2 (1-4 are away from the rest of c.g.). Then a guy comes up to us and says "RV's aren't really allowed and we would probably have to pay for the site next door too" - as our tow blocked some access to it from one direction. He was obviously trying to convince us to move, however I told him we would deal with that if and when it happened. He then starts his truck up and lets it idle for about 15-20 minutes- at 6 PM.

Then at 1 AM he does the same thing so I go over there and remind him of the quiet hour. He turns it off. Then starts it up again at 5 AM. We left at 6.

What we heard from the Parks manager is they've been having problems lately, and it started up when CA did their "Prison Realignment", whereby they over the objections to Law Enforcement started to reduce the rates of prison overcrowding by releasing "non-violent" offenders to county jails, parole or probation. Pretty stupid move IMHO.

So- in California when you see some folks and your radar goes off a little, there might be something to those instincts.
Couple Camping at Bear River Campground Receives Disturbing Threat | FOX40
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Well, actions have consequences. If California wants tourism revenue to drop, I can't think a better way to do it. News on the RVer grapevine travels pretty fast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post

So- in California when you see some folks and your radar goes off a little, there might be something to those instincts.
Couple Camping at Bear River Campground Receives Disturbing Threat | FOX40
A disappointing situation and hopefully someone jumps on it before that campground is totally out of control.

We've gone by our instincts a couple of times when the c.g. was semi-isolated and a few "characters" were visible. Unfortunately some county parks that would otherwise be ideal also suffer from the same situation. A bunch of scruffy folk and no typical RV'ers there. Rather than spend an uncomfortable night we just move on.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You encounter low life's once in a while. Usually the camp host has weeded them out if there is a host but not always. I saw the Redwoods last summer. Had been to California several times and in the Redwoods too but that was on my bucket
list which means I will probably not return to California as there is too much other country I want to see yet. So as long as Iggy the Intimidator stays where his ankle monitor tells him to , I'll not worry about his antics. With our new Iowa stand your ground law, If you feel threatened enough you can just shoot them. This ought to get interesting on a hot August 30 pack night.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote