Considering Yellowstone for first destination - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #1

Considering Yellowstone for first destination

Any hints on Yellowstone National Park? I was four years old the last time I was there. I am just starting to research, but I think we will spend several days there in the second half of August with the little Escape. Or is it so crowded that we won't enjoy it?

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #2

Re: Considering Yellowstone for first destination

We were there 2 years ago in September thinking that it won't be crowded. We didnt have a trailer at that time and hotels were booked. It was busy, but enjoyed it so much we are going again in Sept on the way up to pick up our new 5.0 on Oct 1. we head in the other direction going home but didnt want to miss a second look at Yellowstone and Tetons.

Floyd and Dana
Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Pioneer..."Congraduations" on your new 5.0!!! How exciting and what a trip you will be planning to Chilliwack in Oct. By then the fall colours should be breathtaking. Alf
escape artist N.S. of lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:20 AM   #4

We are heading up to Yellowstone for the last Week in September and the first week of October, I would think by then we could find camp sites without reservations (for the campgrounds that are first come first serve)?

What are some good campgrounds? This will be my first time in Yellowstone.
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

We were there about that same time last year and were surprised that campgrounds were full. The weather was very nice so there were a lot of visitors. However, we were able to get a site at the campgrounds we wanted by being there by 9:30 a.m. Also, several of the campgrounds start closing in early September into October. Mammoth Springs campground is the only one open year round. Be sure to check on the Yellowstone website for closing dates. The only one with electrical outlets is Fishing Bridge and that is like a parking lot with hook ups. You can make reservations at Madison, a great campground and close to many of the main sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCougsKev
We are heading up to Yellowstone for the last Week in September and the first week of October, I would think by then we could find camp sites without reservations (for the campgrounds that are first come first serve)?

What are some good campgrounds? This will be my first time in Yellowstone.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #6

We went in EOM July last year and all the campgrounds inside the Park were taken!! We ended up outside the Park and stayed at Lionshead RV park at the West Entrance to the park.. actually was a great location about 7mi from the park entrance.. If my memory serves me correctly there also was KOA there as well (they we're full as well)

We absolutely loved Yellowstone and would definitely go back..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #7

We do have reservations for the first 3 nights at Madison, but we plan on moving around after that without reservations. I know you need to get into the campground early in the morning for the first come first serve campsites (dont want hook ups), that is what I am planning on doing. I know the summer months are packed, but I always hear late Sept. and early October is alot less visitors, still full, but managable to get first come first serve campsites in the national park campgrounds if you are early...does this sound accurate and fairly a safe bet?
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

We were told by one Ranger that 2009 might set a new record for the number of Park visitors. We were able to get into campsites when we were there early, but very few are open into October. http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi...CP_JUMP_138397

It started snowing in the park about the 30th of September last year - the day after we left the park.

We had an amazingly wonderful time in the Park and hope to return soon

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #9

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT

We have been there a couple of times. It is worth the trip. We are planning on touring Wyoming in about 2 weeks time and the Tetons and Yellowstone will be on our tour list.

Ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #10

Currently in Washington and heading home to PEI (Canada) with our new 17B. Expecting to spend a few days in Yellowstone next week 18th to 20th. Hope it's a good time weather wise.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #11

This place should be included on your tour list! It is a nice tourist destination!
cunghuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #12

Thank you for the link to the Vietnam tourism commecial web site. But perhaps you could contribute to the forum in ways that pertain to Escape travel trailers. A cynic would think that your post is spam.

Xin tan trong cam on ve duong dan den trang web du lich Vietnam. Nhung thiet nghi tat ca cac bai viet ren dien dan nay nen tap trung vao chu de chinh cua trang web. Bat ke ai doc cung co the nghi rang binh luan cua ban la spam.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #13
ashleymeadow

We were there in late May until early June. It was very cold! We stayed in West Yellowstone at the Grizzly RV Park. It was very nice and close in for supplies and shopping. We had reservations for Madison Park, but without power, we canceled because of the wind, snow, and just plain miserable conditions. Even the fishing was poor in the Park.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #14

We were there also in May (20th I think). Stayed at Grizzley RV park also. I agree with your comments re park. We had excellent daytime weather...just a bit cool....nighttime close to freezing and park was warning to shut of water...but it didn't freeze. We were there for 3 full days as we travelled east after picking up our trailer in Chilliwack. Didn't encounter any bear. 100's of Bison.....road blocked for over an hour one day as rangers tried to get them moving. The hot springs were awesome and old faithful never lets you down. Scenery is great too. Have fun.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #15

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

We stayed briefly at the Grizzly RV Park in mid Oct last year. I agree that it was nice, well maintained and within walking distance to the restaurants & shops in town. It's also a short easy drive to the park entrance for day trips & hiking. Was snowy & very cold when we were there - temps in the teens to thirtys F. They weren't allowing cars into the park without 4 wheel drive & either snow-rated tires or chains. Fortunately we qualified & essentially had the park to ourselves for wildlife & geyser viewing.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #16

My wife and I traveled through Yellowstone before picking up our 13A in BC. The weather in late May was a bit rainy and cold (ice on Yellowstone Lake) but the crowds were not unbearable. We traveled on the road from the Buffalo, Cody to the Yellowstone east gate. I noticed a couple of campground just outside the gate that would have been a nice place to stay. The whole route was interesting especially the road over the Big Horn Range which still had two feet of snow left.
galand53 is offline   Reply With Quote