Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho

Earlier this month (May 2014) I spent a few nights at the Craters of the Moon National Monument near Arco, Utah. The monument is in an isolated area; Arco is the nearest town, about twenty miles away. The monument encloses a volcanic lava field and cinder cones, and contains a sightseeing loop that one can drive to view various volcanic formations. There are also hiking trails. The campground is near the visitors center. The camping sites have no hookups; there are a few pull-thru sites but many are back-in. It cost six dollars per night to camp, and this is not a senior discount.

The area is interesting geologically, but for photography one might want to visit when it is colder, with snow on the ground for contrast with the black volcanic rock. There is some wildlife-- hawks and other birds, and the area contains a migration route for mule deer.

One thing to beware of is wind blowing volcanic ash. I left my windows open and it got all over my trailer. The ash is abrasive and I guess it can't be good for machines or people, though I saw no warning signs.

Mike Lewis
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:24 PM   #2

Correction-- I meant Arco, Idaho, not Utah.

Mike Lewis
Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We were there last year. Very scenic but, wow, what a furnace surrounded by all that black rock.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #4

Ron-

Yeah, I wondered about summer temps, as I'd like to return later in the season to photograph wildflowers against the black rock. I've only been there in the late winter and early spring. The visitors center claimed it didn't get really hot there, but I have my doubts.

Mike Lewis
Old 05-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
Biggest factor at COTM is elevation...5900 feet +/-. So spring or fall with any snow will tend to be cold (30-40 F). Camp info shows open dates from May through November (Campgrounds - Craters Of The Moon National Monument & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)) Summer days can be well over 100 but nights will be into the 50s or 60s...great sleeping weather. The wind can be a major misery, especially April or May. Wouldn't make COTM a destination but it's on the way to a lot of beautiful country via Challis, Salmon, or Stanley.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
We were there several years ago in September and will likely stop again when we are in that part of the country; quite a unique place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Idaho-127.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	6049

Name:	Cheryl_Idaho-2899.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	6050

Name:	Idaho-099.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	6051
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonF View Post
We were there several years ago in September and will likely stop again when we are in that part of the country; quite a unique place.

Attachment 6049

Attachment 6050

Attachment 6051
Researching this place as we are picking up our new 19' late May and will be driving back to Calif. after spending some time in the Banff - Jasper area. We'd hit it mid June. Plenty of campsites available? I see they don't take reservations. thx
LarryLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
As a geologist, I must confess that the Craters of The Moon are sort of related to one of my favorite places, Ashfall Fossil Beds in Northern Nebraska (near Royal, NE on US Route 20). In the interest of full disclosure I am a sucker for fossilized rhinos, elephants, and camels.

Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historical Park - Nebraska Game and ParksNebraska Game and Parks |

Bruneau-Jarbidge caldera is basically a volcanic hotspot from 10-12 my that is now under Yellowstone. Geology rocks!
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We always thought it might be fun to go in late May, early June when the wildflowers are blooming.

https://www.nps.gov/crmo/learn/nature/wildflowers.htm
I would think the night skies are pretty spectatcular. As far as the first come, first serve campground situation, there's a KOA in Arco in a pinch. (Arco was the first town to be soley powered by a nuclear power plant - you can tour EBR-1 the worlds first nuclear reactor not too far away.) PS - no offense but watch out for crazy drivers along those stretches of highway - Donna D is a witness!
Safe travels,
Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote