Crawfordsville, Indiana, KOA - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Crawfordsville, Indiana, KOA

After reading in another thread about the fires in Portland I feel a little ridiculous reporting about showers in Indiana, but here it is. If I don't do it now, I'll forget.

We stopped here last night at the KOA in Crawfordsville -- pretty place, sites reasonably placed and spotlessly clean and attractive bathrooms. BUT there is a powerful smell of something -- maybe sewer gas -- in the Women's Bathroom -- so strong that I opted to take a shower in the Escape instead -- very grateful for that option, and it is nice to do it in a place where we have full hookups so I didn't have to ration the water.

It might seem like I'm obsessed with showers, but after nearly three months on the road they seem to have taken on a new importance in my life.

We thought about staying here an extra day, but there are too many barking dogs. I do not understand how folks let their dogs bark on and on when they are right there. It's not a happy sound.

Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
We thought about staying here an extra day, but there are too many barking dogs. I do not understand how folks let their dogs bark on and on when they are right there. It's not a happy sound.
I don't understand it either Ruthe, but we see it alot. Dog yapping away while the owner is right there, oblivious.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Ruthe
You might consider posting reviews of campgrounds on RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks if you don't already. It's a nice central place for people to check on campgrounds before stopping.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't understand it either Ruthe, but we see it alot. Dog yapping away while the owner is right there, oblivious.
We have that next door at our house. Had to get one of those ultrasonic devices which does seem to shut down the barkers when deployed. Owners are not the kind you can approach safely which is part of the reason I'm sure we have the issue to begin with.
May have to get some of those devices to go with us in the trailer.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We have that next door at our house. Had to get one of those ultrasonic devices which does seem to shut down the barkers when deployed. Owners are not the kind you can approach safely which is part of the reason I'm sure we have the issue to begin with.
May have to get some of those devices to go with us in the trailer.
oooh, what IS this miracle device? I need it due to bad neighbor's and some campers too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ask and ye shall receive, Donna.
Here is an assortment, I have the birdhouse one, so they don't realize I'm blasting their dogs.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...bark+birdhouse
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks! I wonder if it would look weird if I walk around a campground with a birdhouse under my arm . I just get tired of setting off dog bark alarms just because I'm walking by a site.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
We've used an ultrasonic device at our previous house because of a neighbor dog in close proximity to our bedroom, that liked to bark for hours in the early morning. The device seemed to work because the barking was lessened. They have a limited range however, maybe 50 feet, so I'm not sure how effective they'd be at a campground. Worth a shot I guess.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks! I wonder if it would look weird if I walk around a campground with a birdhouse under my arm . I just get tired of setting off dog bark alarms just because I'm walking by a site.
Donna, just put the birdhouse in your hat. It will fit right in!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you can find one Ramsey electronics used to sell a device called the rat blaster. It is a horn tweeter mounted in a box with a 5 watt ultrasonic transmitter and had 3 frequencies that could be selected.
I have one and it really works. Let someone start allowing their dog to use the mailbox as a messaging post and the next time they will be either dragging or carrying a squirming pooch through the very directional blast of sound. If you wave it towards a tree all the birds blast off and squirrels will flee from it. And my daughter came over one day and asked us, what is that horrible sound I am hearing.
So she became known as lassie
The company stopped selling their kits in 2016 but hamfest and such may still have them.

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote