El Chorro Regional Park - San Luis Obispo, CA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
El Chorro Regional Park - San Luis Obispo, CA

Spent President's Day Week-End here, and found the park quite nice. It's part of the San Luis Obispo Regional Park System. $38/night for a full hook-up, and the place was clean, neat and reasonably quiet. RV sites are well-spaced. They claim the shower was $1.00/3 minutes, but it was the longest 3 minutes I ever saw! We did get some very distant sounds from National Guard's Camp San Luis Obispo (cadence counting & gunnery practice) but it was not intrusive at all, and only for short periods. The park is adjacent to a golf course, and also has very large picnic and gathering grounds. It wasn't full, but I imagine it might be during warmer weather.

By contrast, Morro Bay State Park was full, sites very close together, and they were getting $50/night for full hook-ups. I'm a pretty good supporter of California State Parks, but I'll take El Chorro as first choice in this area.

Camp - San Luis Obispo County Parks
Old 02-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Good to know! We'll be at Pismo SB in April and they're a little pricey for only water and electricity ... but you do have the ocean close by. And El Chorro is only 22 minutes form Pismo!!
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Spent President's Day Week-End here, and found the park quite nice. It's part of the San Luis Obispo Regional Park System. $38/night for a full hook-up, and the place was clean, neat and reasonably quiet. RV sites are well-spaced. They claim the shower was $1.00/3 minutes, but it was the longest 3 minutes I ever saw! We did get some very distant sounds from National Guard's Camp San Luis Obispo (cadence counting & gunnery practice) but it was not intrusive at all, and only for short periods. The park is adjacent to a golf course, and also has very large picnic and gathering grounds. It wasn't full, but I imagine it might be during warmer weather.

By contrast, Morro Bay State Park was full, sites very close together, and they were getting $50/night for full hook-ups. I'm a pretty good supporter of California State Parks, but I'll take El Chorro as first choice in this area.

Camp - San Luis Obispo County Parks
Thanks! We totally missed this one. Made our reservation for next month while visiting our son in SLO. 14 minutes from his apartment! Now… any recommendations for the Ventura area??
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #5

The only two places I've stayed down Ventura way have been Refugio State Beach, and El Capitan State Beach, and then it was a number of years ago in my tent camping days. They're smaller places, and fill up fast, but right on the coast near Santa Barbara.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
El Chorro is absolutely lovely, but it isn't on the water. For folks who want to be bay or ocean front, MB State Park is one of many options in Morro Bay, albeit many of them have sites that are close together.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
The only two places I've stayed down Ventura way have been Refugio State Beach, and El Capitan State Beach, and then it was a number of years ago in my tent camping days. They're smaller places, and fill up fast, but right on the coast near Santa Barbara.
Both of these SP's are north of Santa Barbara which in turn is north of Ventura. Depending on what you want, there's camping in Ventura which includes McGrath (which I like) Rincon Stretch, Hobsons, Emma Wood and others (which are ocean front) and camping in Carpinteria and Santa Barbara.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Montana de Oro State Park is 10 minutes from Morro Bay- no hookups, no showers, but the local paper consistently ranks the park(17 Sq. mi. ocean front) as the #1 place to take out of town visitors in San Luis Obispo County; $25. You can use facilities at MB State Park with receipt. No reservations from Labor Day to Memorial Day.

In Ventura County check out Dennison Park in Ojai. There are a few more remote camps as well including Pine Mountain on CA 33.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

Yes, Montaña de Oro SP is beautiful and I'd highly recommend it too.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #10

We drove up to Montana de Oro (sans trailer) while in the area to check it out for a possible future visit, and I'm ready to give it an extended week-end some time. I love those parks that have kept and maintained original houses and buildings from bygone eras, and the drive was worth it just to step back in time and imagine what a working ranch such as this might have been.