Ensconced in Woodhead Park again, awaiting the eclipse - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I am not an astronomer but I organized local viewing events for our 4,000+ students and school staff. Our non-profit bought 2,200 eclipse glasses and four computer controlled solar telescopes. The telescopes will later be installed in four 1969 Airstreams that we are helping turn into mobile astronomy centers.
The telescopes will be operated by 16 Jr and High School students, they are very excited.
We hope to show that science can be done locally and that astronomy can be done by almost anyone.
The trailers will have two hydraulic and electro mechical lift systems for two telescope mounts inside, six tripods outside, virtual reality goggles so you go places in 3D, two image processing work stations, five computers and multiple monitors including a 43 inch one in the rear window.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Well I will say the Eclipse is interesting on many levels. The rarity from a science point of view gets overshadowed ( pun) by hoopla, party atmosphere, profiteering, diverse speculation regarding the effect on local economies and on and on. In my journey from Seattle to Omaha this past week I've seen areas where Eclipse mania is in full swing to areas where the attitude is "who cares". One factor looms largest in my mind. Cloudy days or smoke obscuring a clear view in many areas. But local chambers of commerce never advertise how many cloudy days their fine city has in a year.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane View Post
I am not an astronomer but I organized local viewing events for our 4,000+ students and school staff. Our non-profit bought 2,200 eclipse glasses and four computer controlled solar telescopes. The telescopes will later be installed in four 1969 Airstreams that we are helping turn into mobile astronomy centers. The telescopes will be operated by 16 Jr and High School students, they are very excited. We hope to show that science can be done locally and that astronomy can be done by almost anyone. The trailers will have two hydraulic and electro mechical lift systems for two telescope mounts inside, six tripods outside, virtual reality goggles so you go places in 3D, two image processing work stations, five computers and multiple monitors including a 43 inch one in the rear window.
Thane, This is way cool! Great project! My wife also has developed programs to help get grade school students excited about studying and entering careers in the sciences. It's so rewarding when you see the light come on in their eyes. Keep up the good work.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
...but I organized local viewing events for our 4,000+ students and school staff...
Congratulations on a job well done...very impressive!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I didn't go for my walk this morning, but it looks like Woodhead is about the same; there are four sites occupied in my loop, which is Loop D.

The consistent thread I've seen in this is that no one knows what to expect regarding turnout. It's particularly aggravating for local merchants because they don't want to run out of stuff, but also don't want to be stuck with excess, particularly perishable items. The upside is that they might make a lot of money if they get lucky.

Also, the eclipse reminds me of a hurricane evacuation in reverse. Instead of people dispersing from an event line, they are converging onto one. I guess the aftermath when people are going home will be more like a hurricane evacuation. This normally works pretty well along the Gulf Coast; we can evacuate millions of people without much trouble. Don't know how it will work across the country with populations who aren't used to moving en mass like that and might not have the roads for it. We'll see.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #26

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I didn't go for my walk this morning, but it looks like Woodhead is about the same; there are four sites occupied in my loop, which is Loop D.

The consistent thread I've seen in this is that no one knows what to expect regarding turnout. It's particularly aggravating for local merchants because they don't want to run out of stuff, but also don't want to be stuck with excess, particularly perishable items. The upside is that they might make a lot of money if they get lucky.
...McCall, which is further from totality, is just about full. Though there are some weekday spaces starting to open up at Ponderosa State Park and McCall RV Resort - if you're headed this way after Woodhead Mike...
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think part of the reason for all the interest (hysteria?) is we needed it. Because of all the political stuff happening all over the world (we are NOT going to discuss it), people need an outlet right now that's not man-made. It's not something only a certain culture or gender or how-much-money you have can experience. Anyone and everyone that wishes to, can. Yes, proximity to the totality is important to many, not that important to far more. Gazillions of people will get to experience "some" even if they just stay home. And we'll ALL get to experience the wonders of photography when people post photos and events are live streamed.

I'm already planning to head to Texas in April 2024. Anyone care to join me?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We will be here. Our new place is being built off the main north/south road you see leaving San Antonio on this map (US281), in the path of totality.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #29

Hi Donna
I believe you are right about the need and desire for diversions to the current state of world affairs about any time. Camping makes this attempt and depending upon the accommodations chosen, the sites visited and the actual experiences enjoyed camping does do it's job most of the time. As far as being in Texas in 2024 I never plan that far ahea
d.
Dave
Old 08-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re....."Because of all the political stuff ...."
Hello, Kiva. Good enough reason for me, Donna. We leave in a few hours despite predictions of cloud cover, rain, and expecting only a partial view of it all. I heard rangers at the visitors center, Chaco Culture NHP, will do a nice lecture/presentation that I think includes a simulcast of the event. Didn't buy the glasses, watching from inside the visitors center is fine with me.

Thirty years later, no better reason to test drive the miserable, muddy, hysterical rutts you take getting there.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #31

And then there's the responsibility of passing on the value of work My nine year old grandson working off the cost of a Nintendo DS car charger. 14 times down, 14 times up all four stabilizer, for 7 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3291.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Sure. Even if it turns out to be cloudy that day, I can still annoy Robert in person.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Sure. Even if it turns out to be cloudy that day, I can still annoy Robert in person.
Party at Robert's! Good thing they bought some property and have seven years to level out sites Here we come!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #34

Not only that, Robert has the time and space to build an astronomical observatory, for both solar and nighttime. It should be quite a facility by the time we arrive.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Party at Robert's! Good thing they bought some property and have seven years to level out sites [emoji23] Here we come!
Yep. Selling timeshares for RB RV park at a discounted pre-construction rate right now. A real bargain, truly.
Quote:
Not only that, Robert has the time and space to build an astronomical observatory, for both solar and nighttime. It should be quite a facility by the time we arrive.
Hmm. An observatory? Gonna need some help with that one Mike. [emoji1]
Old 08-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
I am not an astronomer but I organized local viewing events for our 4,000+ students and school staff. Our non-profit bought 2,200 eclipse glasses and four computer controlled solar telescopes. The telescopes will later be installed in four 1969 Airstreams that we are helping turn into mobile astronomy centers.
The telescopes will be operated by 16 Jr and High School students, they are very excited.
We hope to show that science can be done locally and that astronomy can be done by almost anyone.
The trailers will have two hydraulic and electro mechical lift systems for two telescope mounts inside, six tripods outside, virtual reality goggles so you go places in 3D, two image processing work stations, five computers and multiple monitors including a 43 inch one in the rear window.
Wow!!! ..... wonder if I can do a High School Do-Over.

If only I knew then what I think I know now!

Tom

Thane, Can you post pictures - when they are done? Would love to see these trailers!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:42 PM   #37

At 7PM tonight (Sun 8/20) there were 17 campsites occupied out of 124 available at Woodhead Park. The 17 includes the two campground hosts. I just can't believe it.

My plan for tomorrow is to drive into Cambridge early and park, then wait for the 1m57s of totality there. If this doesn't work out for some reason, I'll turn around and come back to my trailer then view the 54s of totality here.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #38

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
At 7PM tonight (Sun 8/20) there were 17 campsites occupied out of 124 available at Woodhead Park. The 17 includes the two campground hosts. I just can't believe it. ...
Maybe it's like us and Y2K. We had planned to go to a street party, but the local news stations started predicting parking problems, large rowdy crowds, etc., etc., and we ultimately decided to just stay home, drink a little wine, and put together a jigsaw puzzle. As near as I could tell, we didn't miss a thing....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #39

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Yep, I'll post pics when the trailers are done.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Chaco Canyon, NM. for a few minutes, then the clouds closed in and that was that.
Attached Thumbnails
Eclipse.jpg