Favorite COE campground locations... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Fort Peck "Downstream Campground" This is not far off Hwy 2 in Eastern Montana. It is about 3 hours west of Williston ND.

Dam and reservoir on the Missouri River. We over nighted here on our maiden trip from Chilliwack to MN. We needed to move on but wished we had an extra day as it looks like an interesting place. Sorry, no pictures.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 19'
Stayed at Albeni cove coe cg near town of Newport WA on the way to osoyoos rally last year. Lovely spot just over idaho border. No one else there.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
A newbie here....what is a "COE"? Thanks in advance for my admittance of my ignorance.
goturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
US Army Corp of Engineers. The largest campground operator in the country. Don’t feel bad, they are frequently overlooked because their primary mission is flood control and navigation.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:25 PM   #45

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by goturner View Post
A newbie here....what is a "COE"? Thanks in advance for my admittance of my ignorance.
Of importance is that the Corp of Engineers (COE) is a Federal entity, and any Federal perks you might be entitled to might apply at COE facilities. For example, if you qualify for and have (or purchase) a USGA Lifetime Senior Pass, COE campsites are half price, plus discounted entry fees at many federal parks, monuments, etc. (unless things have changed again recently).
https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass
I picked one up at a nearby U.S. Forest Service Station the day I turned 62, I believe it was only $10 then, and it has saved us several hundred dollars over the following years. Great bargain even at the newer higher price.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #46

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Of importance is that the Corp of Engineers (COE) is a Federal entity, and any Federal perks you might be entitled to might apply at COE facilities. For example, if you qualify for and have (or purchase) a USGA Lifetime Senior Pass, COE campsites are half price, plus discounted entry fees at many federal parks, monuments, etc. (unless things have changed again recently).
https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass
I picked one up at a nearby U.S. Forest Station the day I turned 62, I believe it was only $10 then, and it has saved us several hundred dollars over the following years. Great bargain even at the newer higher price.
Is that true if you have the old Golden Age pass, too? (Which also used to be only $10, when I got it at 62.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Is that true if you have the old Golden Age pass, too? (Which also used to be only $10, when I got it at 62.)
says 'yes' right on the page he linked.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #48

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
For those vets who have a 'Service Connected Disability'. Free Lifetime Access Passes to National Park Service facilities are available.. These passes cover many federal properties.

Natl parks, Forest Service, Fish and Wildlife, Dept Interior, BLM, COE. and others.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #49

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Cottonshed Park, Millwood Lake, near Mineral Springs, Arkansas is beautiful, well-maintained, and when we were there last November on the way back from a trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon lightly used. Somewhat off the beaten path, but all the better for it IMO.

Here's a pic from our campsite (#015, North Loop, if memory serves):

Can also second the previous recommendations for R. Schaeffer Heard north of Columbus, GA and East Bank just north of Chattahoochee, FL, though we like Whitetail Ridge over Schaeffer Heard also on West Point Lake.

Also like Mckinney Campground on Alatoona Lake NW of Atlanta. We've stayed there several times on trips from Tallahassee to the Blue Ridge Mountains.

We like COE campgrounds a lot, and stay in them as often as possible when they are near where we want to be. Sometimes even when they aren't.
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #50

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Trying again on the photo
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191019_185658543.jpg  
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:13 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Skydiver alert

Holloman AF Base - Directly off US-70, west of Alamogordo. New Mexico. Campground is on base. Not far from White Sands NP. Reservations not accepted. $3/night no hookups, $20/night with 30 amp.

Open to all Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, Retired Military, 0-100% DAV, Purple Heart Recipients, Former POW, Veteran Caregivers, DoD/NAF Civilians.
Attached Thumbnails
Holloman.jpg  
Old 05-08-2022, 10:48 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Holloman AF Base - Directly off US-70, west of Alamogordo. New Mexico. Campground is on base. Not far from White Sands NP. Reservations not accepted. $3/night no hookups, $20/night with 30 amp.

Open to all Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists, Retired Military, 0-100% DAV, Purple Heart Recipients, Former POW, Veteran Caregivers, DoD/NAF Civilians.
That sounds like MWR rather than COE. We've stayed at Fiddlers Cove Marina and RV Park in Coronado a couple times, Navy MWR, as my wife has relatives down there. Full hookups. Super clean and nice facilities.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:08 AM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Right, John. Was just thinking of low rent campgrounds we want to visit. Checked out Fiddlers Cove several years ago when they had tighter restrictions for camping vets. Hope we can do a San Diego trip at Fiddlers Cove in a few weeks or months. I do so need to get next to and into those warm Pacific waters.
Attached Thumbnails
FiddlerCove.jpg  
Old 05-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #54

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
COE North Abutement CG, Lake Grenada, MS

Stayed only 1 night on our inaugural trip home from Sumas before getting on Natchez Trace. I was very impressed by the campground and its facilities: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/234277
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210507_1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	62643
Old 03-27-2023, 09:52 AM   #55

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Having only camped 9 nights on our way back home from the Sumas pickup at the end of Oct and early Nov we've booked our first two camping trips to start getting are feet wet for long term camping once I retire at the end of '24. Although,,,,,,we have camped at our Escape's Nest on our property a few nights already using the heater just to see how things went.

4 nights in early May at Mark Twain Lake Indian Creek Campground in Missouri and 3 nights in late June at Lake Red Rock North Overlook Campground in Iowa. I'm tying in the Iowa trip on one of my business trips. My wife has the Lifetime America the Beautiful Pass so our campsites are 50% off.

I'm sure we will do more weekend camping this April.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:43 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Where in iowa will your business trip take you? Central IA or which quadrants? NE NW SE or SW?
Iowa Dave
Old 03-28-2023, 04:05 AM   #57

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Where in iowa will your business trip take you? Central IA or which quadrants? NE NW SE or SW?
Iowa Dave
This trip I will be in Des Moines for a conference but typically I'm in Eastern Iowa about every 5-6 weeks. I usually stay in Iowa City, Cedar Falls/Waterloo or Bettendorf depending on who I will be seeing.

A good friend who lives right by Lake MacBride caught a 30" Walleye over the weekend.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote