Grayland Beach State Park, WA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Grayland Beach State Park, WA

We dashed out to the coast for a two-night stay at the coast on a rare 60+ degree (F) January day. Almost got through the entire trip without rain. Almost! This is an easy drive -- great roads -- just over 2 hours from Gig Harbor, WA.

We've been to some of Washington's nicest state parks, and this one ranks right up there with them in terms of the campground itself. There's an old section with full hookups... we stayed in the newer section which has water & electric. No lineup at the dump station when you camp in January (around here)!

The back-in campsites arranged in "circles" are spacious, private, and very well-maintained. A very few pull-throughs are not very private. Yurts have been erected on a few sites, sprinkled throughout the campground. The beach is endless (this time of year you need rubber boots or waterproof shoes to get out to the surf... nearer the dunes it's a maze of puddles. Or you can walk about 1/3 mile to a causeway of sorts that's built up to enable vehicles to get to the beach. Yes, they're allowed out there... not many there in January, though.

When the rain did come, we used Verizon to watch the latest Downton Abbey episode on our laptop. 4G, 3 bars in the campsites nearer the access road... down to 3G and 1-2 bars in the campsites (like ours) nestled up to the dunes. Simply suspend your mobile phone from A/C vent for maximum reception.

We'd recommend this state park to anyone who likes beachcombing, long walks, falling asleep to the sound of pounding surf. Below: taken from the top of the dunes, half-way to the beach.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1076.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Love that spot ....
Old 01-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I love that park! We went there over Christmas and had a lovely time!
Attached Thumbnails
3B3B0655.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #4

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Nice write up, Grayland is also one of our favorite places to camp. We also prefer to camp close to the dunes. Cape Disappointment is also wonderful, especially during a storm!
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
It's been several years since I've been to Grayland, the last time was also in January. It had rained so much the park was flooded and one of our group piggybacked his wife from the trailer, the water was up to the rims of the wheels, to a high spot so she wouldn't get her feet wet. It was crazy but we did have fun.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like a place we would like. And we do want to explore more of the Washington coast and Olympic Park.
Don't you just like this forum! Great info and help!
Eric
Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
For several years (back) there was a group that went to Grayland Beach SP, like in the dead of winter... they typically posted on FiberglassRV. Maybe it's time to resurrect that gathering? (as far as I'm concerned two all molded towables makes a gathering YMMV )
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 19 picked up March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
For several years (back) there was a group that went to Grayland Beach SP, like in the dead of winter... they typically posted on FiberglassRV. Maybe it's time to resurrect that gathering? (as far as I'm concerned two all molded towables makes a gathering YMMV )
We are already booked for July at Grayland with 4 other camper friends (0ne in a Scamp) and another couple in a yurt. Don't even have the camper yet--picking up in March. The Party begins

Dave and Sandi
Snadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I love Greyland too but my fav is cape disappointment I have both booked this year
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote