Hope BC report -- - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Hope BC report --

Went for the "maiden voyage" to Hope BC with Lightning. Poked around some and thought some might want to hear the current conditions there.

Went to Wild Rose Campground (just past the old Husky on the flats), mostly at the recommendation of my S&B neighbours, who love it for their monster 40' Class A.

tl;dr version: awesome camp ground.

I went during winter season, so there was limited choices in camping sites, at least with services. The small row I was in had been winterized (insulation on the current bush), and is apparently the big rig pull throughs. After repositioning away from tree roots, the site was level enough to not need blocks. They do have some tenting/partial hook up sites as well.

This campground has limited services (ie, small playground -- swing set, horse shoe pit and thats about it) but laundry and full washroom/showers. These were initially closed when I got there, but opened for summer use the day I was leaving. Clean and warm facilities. There is at least one train track close to the road, and sure enough the trains they be a runnin'. First night I heard just about every rail car go thundering past, but after the 4th night, I hardly noticed/lost sleep at all.

Hope had an ice storm recently (six weeks ago??) that caused some localized ice related damage, namely in the form of falling branches. Wildrose had already cleared out their debris and were basically on to the spring clean up. Which was atypical of the other area campgrounds' efforts.

I would like to try the other CG's in the area (especially the community owned one) but I will keep Wildrose on my list of go-to's.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
thanks

Sounds like a good spot to de-winterize when i get out west
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Forgot they have a large dog "park" at the far end (highway side). Beautiful area.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We are just back from three nights at the Coquihalla Campground in Hope BC (Home | Coquihalla Campground). It is newly linked up with Holiday Trails RV Resorts. The CG was quite empty - Sunday night it was virtually empty. I would expect it to be very busy during the high peak season. For our US Escape Forum members I’d say Hope is a good option to consider since it is about an hour out of Chilliwack.

We left the 17b at the CG and toured up the Fraser Canyon to Hell’s Gate. The Tram ride down the canyon was something we hadn’t done before. As BCrs it was fun to be “tourists.” On the way up we stopped at various lookouts and for a few minutes at Historic Yale. Yale has a museum with historic church and miner’s village to view @ 7.50 a head. We’ll take that in on our return from Monck Provincial Park later this year.

the first two pictures are from the Coquihalla CG, then Hell's Gate, then Yale, then Hell's Gate x 2. The final pic is #39 at Coquihalla CG which is a site we thought we'd try book next time we pause in Hope.

This was our first trip of the season. Liz is retired. I'm hoping to retire in April next year. So this was a taste of our retired "escape" life.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0530.jpg   CIMG4988.jpg   CIMG4944.jpg   CIMG4941.jpg   CIMG4953.jpg  

IMG_0563.jpg   IMG_0605.jpg  
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

this is the picture of the Miner's village/museum in Hope I was trying to upload.

Hope is a kind of intersection for highways heading through the mountains out of the Lower Mainland BC. Lots of trains. The Coquihalla CG is along the Coquihalla River (very pretty) with a train track not too far away. We heard the train but it wasn't close enough to be a bother. The Blue Moose Coffee Shop in town is a good local establishment and it was nice not to be in a chain (i.e. Starbucks).
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG4940.jpg  
Old 05-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
this is the picture of the Miner's village/museum in Hope I was trying to upload.

Hope is a kind of intersection for highways heading through the mountains out of the Lower Mainland BC. Lots of trains. The Coquihalla CG is along the Coquihalla River (very pretty) with a train track not too far away. We heard the train but it wasn't close enough to be a bother.
Sounds like a nice place. I'd have to find a spot closer to the tracks, however.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
Sounds like a nice place. I'd have to find a spot closer to the tracks, however.

Doug
I have to agree.

What's that bit about "but it wasn't close enough to be a bother"??
The only bother is that it's a diesel-electric and not steam powered.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
The Coquihalla CG has the river, a nice forested city park and then a city block between it and the track. We heard a few trains during the day but they weren't a bother. I wasn't woken by any during the night. I don't much want to be woken by trains at night.

We walked from the CG to the Blue Moose in town. In doing so we trespassed onto CN land and walked along the rails. That is as "wild" as us lawbreakers get.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG4974.jpg   CIMG4982.jpg   CIMG4983.jpg   CIMG4978.jpg  
Old 05-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17B "Tody"
Thanks for the pictures! It is so beautiful. The total lack of crowd made it looks a bit out of this world.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Quote:
The only bother is that it's a diesel-electric and not steam powered.
It sounds like you guys need to include the Kettle Valley Steam Railway in your travels - it's near Summerland, just up the Okanagan from Osoyoos. I haven't seen it (let alone taken a ride), I just remembered hearing about it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Thanks for the Hell's Gate pictures, that brought back some nice memories.
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It sounds like you guys need to include the Kettle Valley Steam Railway in your travels - it's near Summerland, just up the Okanagan from Osoyoos. I haven't seen it (let alone taken a ride), I just remembered hearing about it.
Brian,
You're absolutely right. It's now on the to-do list.
Thanks, much.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #13

Thanks, Larry & Liz, for posting those great photos. We're always interested to see how very close to nature one can get in an Escape 17 (We'll get our turn in a few months). And, no, I'm not picking on you 2 foot-itus sufferers.

P.S. It IS really dangerous on the railroad right of way. With the current use of welded rail, there are no rail joints to make noise, so a train can literally be on top of you before you know it. Take care.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Planning on doing that right after the rally.

Doug
Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 AM   #15

Quote:
P.S. It IS really dangerous on the railroad right of way. With the current use of welded rail, there are no rail joints to make noise, so a train can literally be on top of you before you know it. Take care.
Now that you mention it, I do remember reading about that. Good point.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I watched a couple fly fishers cross the tracks at Spences Bridge. They were completely unaware of the locomotive and a mile of rail cars that almost turned them into bait.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #17

? Didn't the fishermen check both ways before crossing ?

I'm pretty sure we would have heard something - I hope so! Truth be told I was wondering if we were going to get busted by some passing RCMP or CN person.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
They did not look and the train missed them by a couple of feet.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
They did not look and the train missed them by a couple of feet.
If the train was that close, the engineer must not have seen them either. If he would have, he would have been on the horn long before he was two feet away . Something just doesn't fit.....

Doug
Old 05-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
If the train was that close, the engineer must not have seen them either. If he would have, he would have been on the horn long before he was two feet away . Something just doesn't fit.....

Doug
Well, pilots have been known to fall asleep, ships helmsmen have been known to not keep close watch while on autopilot and it's unrealistic to think that a train engineer stares intently down the track every inch of the way, especially if it's in an area where there's no crossing.

It's a sad fact but people are still being killed by trains because they chose to use the railway as a walking path.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote