Illiniwek Forest Preserve Illinois Pictures - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Illiniwek Forest Preserve Illinois Pictures

This campground is on the Mississippi and Le Claire Iowa is on the other side, along with Davenport. The bike path on this side of the river runs through the campground and you can go about 60 or more miles -- we only went nine, but it was pretty scenic when we went toward Moline. On the way to Moline we passed through the cute town of Hampton.

The main part of the campground is laid out like a long rectangle with short sides -- and campers are only on three sides, with the long side closest to the river empty (except for the registration cabin and the dump station. There are tent sites right along the shore and behind the rectangle there are railroad tracks with a line of campers pretty close to them..

It's nice to have this huge green space -- for the first few days we were here it was quiet -- starting Friday it got pretty active, but people were respectful. My only complaint is the smoky campfires, but that's something I either live with or give up camping.

It's our second time here and we were lucky to get this spot -- I may have written this already but even though it is "first come" as long as you pay for a site you don't have to occupy it, so people put their campers here or just a cone and went home until the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1021.jpg   IMG_1022.jpg  
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ruthe, you are quite close to where the first Upper Mississippi River Rally at Fisherman's Corner Corp of Engineer's Campground was held. Le Claire is the home of the "American Pickers" shop and a fun little town to visit.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #3

We're visited Le Claire a lot over the years on our way to Seattle and Oregon and Chilliwack. That's why we're here actually -- we used to just stop off for lunch but this time we wanted to camp here. -- there's a Mexican Restaurant called Blue Iguana that we like a lot -- But we've never gone to the American Pickers -- Maybe we'll get there today..
Old 09-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I think Mary and I ate at the Blue Iquana. Is it right on the main street and has some outside seating? Good food as I recall. Visiting the Pickers place is quite fun, especially if you have ever watched their show.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Forest Preseves

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I think Mary and I ate at the Blue Iquana. Is it right on the main street and has some outside seating? Good food as I recall. Visiting the Pickers place is quite fun, especially if you have ever watched their show.
I have not camped in this park but did drive down and look it over when I was in the area a couple years ago. It is, as Ruthe says, a nice park. She mentioned the nearby railroad which would discorage some but it's not high speed nor is it very busy. Speaking of the Pickers, a few miles up the river from the site of this year's Mississippi River Rally is Savanna Illinois. On the Main Street in Savanna is an antique store called Frank Fritch Finds. Petroliana abounds. Between Frank's store and the Campground is the famous edge of town establishment Poopys, a biker bar where you can get a tattoo artist for 8 hours for like $800.
Sounds like a bargain. Nice reports throughout your trip Ruthe. Thank you
Dave
Old 09-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #6

That is Blue Iguana! We were able to sit on the back porch this time and got to watch trains (interesting actually) as well as the river. We always say we'll try another restaurant but so far we've been there twice in the last few days. Yesterday we went to the locks on the Iowa side and spent a couple hours watching them couple and uncouple the tugboats and barges that we think were carrying corn and wheat. What a production! The front tug and the rear tug had togo through separately and the barges got pulled along with ropes until the rear. Tug was finally through. Terry was totally fascinated -- me not so much because it was hot -- but there was a feeling of satisfaction when finally all were through and hooked together and they were on their way. The dam is on the Illinois side. Lots of people fishing there -- actually lots of people fishing everywhere.