Indy 500 Camping at Indy KOA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
I like the idea of a Indy gathering and Texas to see F1.
Yah, Austin for sure. We've been to several different F1 races, Monoco with waterfront seating was the best, waited so many years since Grand Prix to do that.

We were by Austin two years ago when the race was on but weren't able to attend. Scoped out parking locations for the trailer though. To the East there's folks with large properties that provide space for RV's for a reasonable price and they're close enough that you can actually hear the cars. Walking distance to the track.

Escape rally at Austin, bring it on.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
Love F1 as well. Been up to Montreal, and all of the US Grand Prix at Indy Motorspeedway.

Would love an Austin Gathering!
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I rode my bicycle around the Indy Speedway 30 years ago. Only about 1/10 as fast as Mario...
I got to drive on the Daytona Track once, while attending motorcycle racing at Daytona, normally the week after Daytona 500, they opened the track to allow trailers to cross the track to get to the infield. Once on the track they stood along the sides just in case someone had the urge to turn and try to go around the oval. Once in the infield and disconnected, there is a narrow tunnel which allows bikes to enter and exit the track. Your trailer and tow remained there until the races were over.

There is a interesting museum there describing the history as well as how they were able to construct the 30 degree slope track. There is a section inside where you can try to walk up the steep slope, which is very hard to accomplish. See here for details https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayton...ional_Speedway
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the "BrickYard" is a lot older and it too has a lot of history behind it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian...Motor_Speedway
Old 05-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yah, Austin for sure. We've been to several different F1 races, Monoco with waterfront seating was the best, waited so many years since Grand Prix to do that.

We were by Austin two years ago when the race was on but weren't able to attend. Scoped out parking locations for the trailer though. To the East there's folks with large properties that provide space for RV's for a reasonable price and they're close enough that you can actually hear the cars. Walking distance to the track.

Escape rally at Austin, bring it on.

Ron
Monaco waterfront seating is the best, you lucky dog . That's lifestyle of the rich and famous. The last F1 I saw was at the Monterey historic races when Ferrari was the marque car and they brought their " last year" F1 car to set a track record. Watching/hearing it scream through the gears on the front straight was fantastic, but the Italians went home in shame, only to bring Marc Gene back to set the record 10 years later.
The camping set-up for Austin f1 is great, good scouting Ron, the circuit of Americas website says track dry camping is $400 and don't list the price for hook-ups.
Yes, bring on the rally, I'm in.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Monaco waterfront seating is the best, you lucky dog . That's lifestyle of the rich and famous.
Yes, pricey but worth it to me since it's probably only a one time deal. It is truly waterfront seating. The grand stand is actually on the dock for the mega yachts. It blocks their direct view of the race. Too bad, I felt really guilty.

Right opposite the swimming pool section, lot's of action.

Loved the Austin layout as soon as I saw the drawings and elevation changes. Staying at the track is an option but the places we saw along Elroy Rd. behind the track that allow camping on their property are much less expensive and maybe not having to get involved in the heavy traffic at the track might be a plus. Either way, I want to get there in the next couple of years.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
21-05-2009 10-11-41 AM_0888_resize.jpg   21-05-2009 11-16-44 AM_0901_resize.jpg   24-05-2009 1-50-12 PM_0958_resize.jpg   24-05-2009 12-28-45 PM_0954_resize.jpg  
Old 05-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I think Monaco is pretty much out of my budget league. Anyone ever gone to see Indycars in Toronto, or the F1 Canadian GP? The Calgary Indycar race used to always look well attended, but it has gone away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I photographed the Vancouver Grand Prix from an opening in the fence on the inside of the hairpin. At that point the cars slowed to about 30 kph.
I think it makes better video, especially with the audio component.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Anyone ever gone to see Indycars in Toronto, or the F1 Canadian GP? The Calgary Indycar race used to always look well attended, but it has gone away.
The longest-running Indycar race in western Canada was in Vancouver. I don't know what it was like for spectators, but my wife and I worked as marshals at flagging stations on two corners, and the view from there was certainly interesting.

Indycars ran in Edmonton, not Calgary (but that's close - both Alberta). In Edmonton attendance was variable (I was there three times, doing my part), but the track was on the downtown airport, and so even if another deal could be made the race cannot resume as the airport has been demolished for redevelopment. You can still see the track among the runways and taxiways in the Google Maps satellite image, but the image is out of date. There was an RV row along the north side of the track in the later layout.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Oops right Brian. My aging brain remembered all the "human interest" stories they always seemed to do in Calgary for that race instead of where it actually was. Thanks for the insight on the airport changes.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Anyone ever gone to see Indycars in Toronto, or the F1 Canadian GP?

We went to Montreal for the Canadian F1 in 2004. It was a fun weekend from beginning to end. From the minute you got on the plane filled with a bunch of folks wearing red caps.

Hard to beat the island venue. We had tickets on the start-finish line looking into the pits and within sight of the infamous "wall of champions".

It was the era of Schui domination. It was great to see him, his brother, and Rubens B. on the podium. We still have a twinge of sadness hearing the German anthem played for other German winners. Horrible way for it to end for him.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Grand Prix 017_resize.jpg   Grand Prix 035_resize.jpg   Grand Prix 049_resize.jpg  
Old 05-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The longest-running Indycar race in western Canada was in Vancouver. I don't know what it was like for spectators, but my wife and I worked as marshals at flagging stations on two corners, and the view from there was certainly interesting.
Yah, loved that race. The sound the cars made was awesome. Well, not to everyone, some who had condos with balconies overlooking the venue actually complained about the noise.

Sat behind Mario A. Son Michael wasn't getting treated very well by a certain Canadian driver. The family reaction was as entertaining as the rest of the race. Way to go J. V.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
21-05-2016 2-04-59 PM_0001_resize.JPG  
Old 05-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #32

Congratulations to Ontario's James Hinchcliffe for winning the Pole of the 100th Indy 500. Couldn't happen for a nicer guy.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #33

What a Great Indy 500 Weekend. This KOA was outstanding. Great modern facilities, friendly and helpful staff, and everything was super clean. Normally indy camping would be loud and rowdy. This place was very quiet and like a normal camping weekend. For any race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway I would suggest this Campground.
*an easy 25 mile drive to the track
*Excellent Service
*Very clean restrooms and showers
*Hot water never ran out despite a full campground using the showers after the race!
*Many sites have full hookups
*Gas station across from campground
*Staff does not tolerate rowdiness and campground is quiet and clean
*Well stocked camp store with RV supplies and essentials
*RV dealer/service center next door if needed!
*Great Pancake breakfast and activities
*easy on and off from expressway to campground
*They even have you reserve for next year, but then after 9am on Monday following the race, you can see what sites have not been reserved in case you want to select a different location.

This is the nicest KOA I have ever stayed at. While expensive for the race weekend (heck everything has a price increase during that time) It was Much better than a hotel! KOA Indianapolis is Highly recommended by Brenda and I. In fact we have our site for next year's race.

Going to re-order my Tickets for the race as well. I should have 2 extra's if anyone would like to join us!

Happy Camping.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #34

Don, I was thinking you may make it to Osoyoos next year, although I have to admit I have never been to the 500 race in Indianapolis, just the one in Florida. Tough decision......
Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 AM   #35

Jim, it might be awhile before I make it to Osoyoos......Too many days off work right now.

A miny Escape Rally at the Indy 500 would be a blast! Just let me know! It may give you some ideas for that Mustang.

You would really enjoy this campground though as the service is excellent.

Don
Old 06-01-2016, 05:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
Jim, it might be awhile before I make it to Osoyoos......Too many days off work right now.

A miny Escape Rally at the Indy 500 would be a blast! Just let me know! It may give you some ideas for that Mustang.

You would really enjoy this campground though as the service is excellent.

Don
you may be right, we will have to exchange phone and discuss, send me a p/m, please
Old 06-03-2016, 05:40 AM   #37

Sounds good Jim. I tried to PM an email, but the forum said my email had been disabled....
Old 06-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #38

I sent you info....