Kananaskis Country - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19 foot Escape
Kananaskis Country

Any recommendations for campsites in the Kananaskis? Have been looking at the Spray Lake area, and also some campgrounds n the Elbow, closer to Bragg Creek. We have solar, so don't need to be on the grid, and love hiking opportunities.
neamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 15A
Kananaskis Country - Beautiful place to camp, hike and bike.
There are also some campgrounds down in Peter Lougheed Park at the Lower Kananaskis Lake area that are very nice (Bolton Cr., Lower Lake, Sarrail).
Have not been there since the big floods in 2013 so not aware of what may still be impacted following the flooding. I think the worst hit area was the golf course at Kananaskis.

Due partially to the proximity to Calgary, the park is very busy on weekends in the summer and early fall.

The circle drive down Highway 40 to Longview (you might even see Ian Tyson and those famous four strong winds) and back to Calgary is worth the drive. Some nice hikes down that route as well.
The foothills in the Longview area are as impressive as the mountains.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I really need to try out some of the campgrounds there. My brother has and they enjoy them a lot. Kananaskis is gorgeous country. Lots of hikes, skis, and paddles to do there.

I have camped in Kananaskis Provincial Park a couple hundred nights at least in my life, but they were all in the backcountry. This is where I spent two nights at -40°, a story I shared in another thread.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
One of my favourites is the Interlakes campground, between the 2 lakes. No services but very pretty and quiet. Last time I stayed there, it was first come, first serve. Boulton Creek is the hub of the park - was Reservation only last time I was there. Pretty much all the campgrounds, with the exception of some sites at Canyon, are well-treed. I've seen snow in the campgrounds in Peter Lougheed in June.

I used to really like the campground on the west side of Spray Lakes, but I haven't stayed there for several years.

On the other side of K-country, I've stayed at Blue Rock - lots of parties when I was there.

Lots of nice, rustic no-service campgrounds south on Hwy 40 down the trunk road - the road can be pretty rough.

The Highwood Pass (paved, south of Peter Lougheed) is closed for a good chunk of the winter; I think it reopens in June.

Hope this helps. Used to be my very favourite place, but it's gotten so busy and "regulated" - like most places.

Oh, the Alberta Parks Reservation site has panoramic pictures and regular pics of many of the individual campsites I. The province.

How is the Sorento doing pulling the trailer? (I think it was you that had one??)
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 foot Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
One of my favourites is the Interlakes campground, between the 2 lakes. No services but very pretty and quiet. Last time I stayed there, it was first come, first serve. Boulton Creek is the hub of the park - was Reservation only last time I was there. Pretty much all the campgrounds, with the exception of some sites at Canyon, are well-treed. I've seen snow in the campgrounds in Peter Lougheed in June.

I used to really like the campground on the west side of Spray Lakes, but I haven't stayed there for several years.

On the other side of K-country, I've stayed at Blue Rock - lots of parties when I was there.

Lots of nice, rustic no-service campgrounds south on Hwy 40 down the trunk road - the road can be pretty rough.

The Highwood Pass (paved, south of Peter Lougheed) is closed for a good chunk of the winter; I think it reopens in June.

Hope this helps. Used to be my very favourite place, but it's gotten so busy and "regulated" - like most places.

Oh, the Alberta Parks Reservation site has panoramic pictures and regular pics of many of the individual campsites I. The province.

How is the Sorento doing pulling the trailer? (I think it was you that had one??)
Yes, we really like the Sorento for our 19 foot Escape. Thanks for your summary of some of the Kananaskis sites. Will post on our experiences at the campsites. We expect they will be busy this summer due to free National Park access for Banff etc. We plan to spend a week or so in the Kananaskis in July before heading to Calgary for birth of grandchild. Unserviced sites are fine... Solar panels give so much more freedom.
neamster is offline   Reply With Quote