Looking for campground in/near Chilliwack, BC - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Have a great maiden voyage Mary. You two will love it!
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
By the way... While we are in Canada, Is it better to pay with cash or with credit card?

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Looking for campground in/near Chilliwack, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog2673 View Post
By the way... While we are in Canada, Is it better to pay with cash or with credit card?

Depends. If you use a credit card, some charge a foreign transaction fee.

If you convert cash USD to CAD, you'll lose a little in the exchange, and then any left over CAD would have to be converted back to USD when you leave, so you'd lose a little again.

It's easier for us to use a credit/debit card when in Canada - one that doesn't charge any foreign transaction fees.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Probably cash because besides the exchange rate, you'll have a foreign exchange fee added to transactions made in Canada. That's how it works for me when I use my MasterCard in the States. There are some credit cards that don't charge a foreign exchange fee.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Sasquatch Provincial Park - BC Parks

Sasquatch Provincial Park up along the east side of Harrison Lake is also an option. There are three camping areas, Hicks and Deer Lakes and Benchlands.
There was a very recent positing by an new owner of an Escape 19' who was just out there camping (I don't recall their name).

Looked it up. The new owner is Old Fulica, posted under New Member Introduction. Posted a photo from the campground.

Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Camped there at Hicks Lake- very quiet. About 45 minutes to ETI.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:26 AM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Fees vary by card issuer, but I still use credit cards for most purchases when travelling - in any country - to minimize the need to keep cash and to make it easier to keep track of expenses. In this century, I can't imagine carrying enough cash for fuel, restaurants and groceries, campground and attractions fees...

Debit cards are probably more commonly used in Canada than in the U.S., and have been used here longer than in the U.S. They're certainly a good option if you like using them. While traveling in the U.S. and Mexico (that's foreign for me ) I just get cash by withdrawals from ATMs using my bank card, so a currency exchange (or bank) is only needed before departure to have some cash on arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If you convert cash USD to CAD, you'll lose a little in the exchange, and then any left over CAD would have to be converted back to USD when you leave, so you'd lose a little again.
Not necessarily. On the rare occasions that I have purchased foreign currency (Mexican, U.S, Euros), I have used a currency exchange (at home) which converts any leftover back without a second fee... it's a common feature, or at least it was years ago when I used it. One chain calls it "$0 Fee Buy Back"
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Have a great maiden voyage Mary. You two will love it!
You are most kind. We are looking forward to it, hope our learning curve is fast. We have sailed and lived on a sailboat, so have some experiences with small spaces, but I think maneuvering the trailer may be quite a challenge. We also are kind of making stabs in the dark as to where to boondock or camping in the initial few days in Canada. I guess it will all sort itself out.
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #28

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
We did stay at Cultus Lake's Clear Lake Campground the first 2 nights. Very quiet during the week, away from the bustle of Chilliwack. We tried to remember all the info given us in the orientation, but being seniors, much of it escaped us! We did use the dump station at the campground down the road, and refilled the water tanks there also. No one around to hurry us or point out our errors. A couple of calls to ETI about items we forgot, and on our way north to Prince Rupert in the rain. All in all, once the delivery in Sumas was complete, and once we had our little "incident" with the Canadian border officials, it was all good. Just a note to the wise, if you come into Canada with intention of going on through, don't write "in transit" on your declaration of your shotgun. That's a no-no, because when to go just across the border to accept your Escape, your second entry voids the "in transit" and you look like a suspicious character to the border officials, who play it by the book. Lesson learned. It wasn't funny at the time, but not it's a good story.
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
We did stay at Cultus Lake's Clear Lake Campground the first 2 nights. Very quiet during the week, away from the bustle of Chilliwack. ry.
What time of year were you up at Cultas?

Anyone wanting to use Cultus should know that Cultus is very busy during the summer months - weekdays can be busy. Lots of people from the Lower Mainland head up there.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote