Manning Park In the Cold - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 19'
Manning Park In the Cold

I wanted to try out the 19' in cold weather dry camping so I headed up to Manning Park, about 120 kilometres east of Chilliwack, this week. Dian didn't want to come as she hates cold nights and I am afraid I don't offer much warmth the way I used to. The days were sunny, in the mid teens, but once the sun set the cold came in rapidly. The campfire burned out around 8:30 PM and I went inside. I had a sleeping bag insert which is a great asset if you don't want to go through the contortions and gyrations of making the bed. On top of that I added a thick comforter and topped that off with a down-filled sleeping bag. I awoke around 3AM and checked the temperature. It was 3 degrees celsius in the trailer. When I got up around 6AM it was 1 degree. I turned on the furnace and crawled back into bed to wait for the temperature to rise.
There was a little frost on the ground but luckily all the water lines were functional.
Not wanting to press my luck for another night I headed home.
Some pictures are on my blog; Focused on Fauna (and a little flora)
I have the extra insulation package but no foam insulation on the bottom.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We were up at Mule Deer Campground (Manning Park) for one night on Sept 6. It was nice during the day. At night it got a bit chilly but I wore my fashionable night cap (buff).

I think you had it chillier then we did.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0020.jpg   IMG_2555a.JPG  
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Okay, I'm going to stop complaining that it is chilly in my house at 71!

How quickly did the heater get it up to warm?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I hit frost last night in the Cascades and turned on the furnace, it was warm within 10 minutes.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #5

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
We love the furnace in our 21- nice and quiet. Our Casita had one that worked equally well, but sounded like a express train coming thru-. Quite the difference. I haven't found anything to complain about except the Escape is harder to modify because everything is tucked in neatly and hidden.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Older posts/threads have indicated camping with water in the pipes is OK below freezing as long as temps go +'ve in the daylight. I was fine to about -7C or so last year.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #7

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
I wanted to try out the 19' in cold weather dry camping so I headed up to Manning Park, about 120 kilometres east of Chilliwack, this week. Dian didn't want to come as she hates cold nights and I am afraid I don't offer much warmth the way I used to. The days were sunny, in the mid teens, but once the sun set the cold came in rapidly. The campfire burned out around 8:30 PM and I went inside. I had a sleeping bag insert which is a great asset if you don't want to go through the contortions and gyrations of making the bed. On top of that I added a thick comforter and topped that off with a down-filled sleeping bag. I awoke around 3AM and checked the temperature. It was 3 degrees celsius in the trailer. When I got up around 6AM it was 1 degree. I turned on the furnace and crawled back into bed to wait for the temperature to rise.
There was a little frost on the ground but luckily all the water lines were functional.
Not wanting to press my luck for another night I headed home.
Some pictures are on my blog; Focused on Fauna (and a little flora)
I have the extra insulation package but no foam insulation on the bottom.
enjoyed the pics and commentary on your blog...so glad to not be a salmon...and thanks for the cold weather report for your Escape..plans for a similar 2017 setup as yours with extra insulation and no underside foam.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Around freezing is one thing and well below is another, to me, anyway. May have to open cabinets at night to get warm air to lines.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Absolutely Cathy, but that is not what the OP ran into.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #10

Bobbie15; It took about 15 minutes for it to get to 15 degrees celsius.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Our son Eric is finishing the last leg of the Pacific Crest Trail which terminates at E.C. Manning Park. If you see him approach it is because the trailer is familiar.

He is on the right with a hiking partner; we met them at McKenzie Pass near Sisters, OR earlier this month.
Attached Thumbnails
20160901_122713.jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Our son Eric is finishing the last leg of the Pacific Crest Trail which terminates at E.C. Manning Park. If you see him approach it is because the trailer is familiar.
I'm so impressed with anyone who does the Pacific Crest...especially if one drags a trailer along.

Truly... I am impressed with that accomplishment.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hi Len, Thank you for your stunning photographs! I live in Juneau, AK and the Fall bird migration has really started .... everyday I see new birds passing by my feeder. This morning there was an interesting article on NPR about White Pelicans showing up in Puget Sound (think they were talking about the Skagit River delta.... 200 miles north of their normal range.

I think having an Escape is the perfect platform to slow down and look deeper than the surface to 'discover' all kinds of fascinating wildlife.

Thank you again for your wonderful photography,

Tom
Old 09-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #14

Quote:

He is on the right with a hiking partner; we met them at McKenzie Pass near Sisters, OR earlier this month.
A few years ago we gave a ride to 4 hikers who had just finished the Trail. They had been walking for months. We took them as far as Hope, Bc where they went straight to the bar.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hi Len, Thank you for your stunning photographs! I live in Juneau, AK and the Fall bird migration has really started .... everyday I see new birds passing by my feeder. This morning there was an interesting article on NPR about White Pelicans showing up in Puget Sound (think they were talking about the Skagit River delta.... 200 miles north of their normal range.

I think having an Escape is the perfect platform to slow down and look deeper than the surface to 'discover' all kinds of fascinating wildlife.

Thank you again for your wonderful photography,

Tom
Thanks Tom. That is what I like about the Escape. I can hook up and camp for a night or 2 without a lot of preparation. Might take off next week to for a couple of nights depending on the weather.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
We were up at Mule Deer Campground (Manning Park) for one night on Sept 6. It was nice during the day. At night it got a bit chilly but I wore my fashionable night cap (buff).

I think you had it chillier then we did.

Larry
Hi Larry. I might have to get one of those buffs if I camp in these cold nights. I have always wanted to "drop my buff" and merge with another tribe.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
A few years ago we gave a ride to 4 hikers who had just finished the Trail. They had been walking for months. We took them as far as Hope, Bc where they went straight to the bar.
Hi Len & Dian- they call folks like you Trail Angels You wouldn't believe how many are out there and what they do for these hikers. In Agua Dulce near Lancaster, CA there is a place called Hiker Heaven where PCT hikers can pitch their tents in someone's backyard and have their laundry done while they are fed- all for free! Other random acts of kindness abound for these folks and for those willing to share a ride for them back to trail after picking up packages of food or gear you can often hear some amazing tales.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Wow! Stunning photos.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Hi Len & Dian- they call folks like you Trail Angels You wouldn't believe how many are out there and what they do for these hikers.
Nice to hear this is happening on the PCT. Same thing on the Appalachian Trail. My father did 2 months (NJ to NH) and encountered many acts of kindness. People gave him food, let him borrow a vehicle to go into town, or allowed him to stay on their property or in their home. We met someone at one of the trailheads and got his number. A little later in the trip my father needed some supplies and I mailed them to his house and this man drove north and delivered the items to my father at a road crossing. Thankfully the people that have a love and respect for the outdoors are usually also very nice.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #20

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Wow! Stunning photos.