Maximum RV Length at Campgrounds - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Maximum RV Length at Campgrounds

I could have sworn I read about this somewhere, but heck if I can find it now...so sorry if that is the case.

I have been visiting state/provincial/national park websites and I'm now confused. Quit laughing. I actually JUST became confused. This time. Well, I never used to be confused because with our Toyota FJ Cruiser and a Casita...who cares what the max length was because we never reached it.

Does anyone know if all the parks measure length the same way, and if so, what is is the way? Just the trailer? The trailer and truck? Just the truck? Not really. I know better than that.

As always, Thank you!

nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't know about all the other places, but the Oregon State Park system just gives the length of the parking area... which is usually asphalt. They don't care what your tug/tow is. You just have to fit in the space designated.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks Donna! Is it your experience that the sites are wide enough to park your truck next to the trailer with no issue?
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
No, no parking next to one another. More like a long driveway. This is my site for Fall NOG coming up in October. Pretty typical for Oregon State Parks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FallNOG.jpg (76.5 KB, 27 views)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Definitely not so with CA SP's. Seems odd at first, yet thinking back it does seem the Oregon campgrounds we've been in are as Donna describes. Of course private campgrounds, like Crystal Crane (pretty cool place with hot-lake, well big pond) outside Burns (FBI is gone I think) and even County Parks- some of our favorites anywhere can be different.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Donna the image won't load . .? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Seems to be problems on the site with loading images.
Donna gave up and went to bed.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2012 15A
BC Provincial Parks vary greatly as to the parking area size and configuration. Some require the tug and trailer to be parked in a straight line but it seems most have room to configure the tug and trailer in various ways to suite your needs. Most are generally configured to accept tents, trailers and other RV types. One site suits all??

BC Parks reservation system now have pictures and dimensions on their web site for each camp site in most of the Parks. There are a small number of select Parks that have some electrical hook ups. These are parks that are relatively close to existing electrical distribution service lines.

I would guess that all of the BC Provincial Parks do not have paved camp sites. The roads in the parks are for the most part paved, but not all. Some parks have a few paved camp sites for persons with disabilities.

We do most of our camping in Provincial or National Parks in BC and Alberta. Many of the Parks are located in some very prime locations taking advantage of the many lakes, rivers, ocean, prairies and mountains. The views are often spectacular if it were not for the fact that the tress and mountains tend to get in the way of enjoying the view!!! That's when is time to go for a great hike or mountain bike ride to see what's over the next rise.

With our 15A we have never had to be concerned about getting our trailer into any camp sites! Our old family tent with the awning up was longer than our trailer!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 15A
Camping plus hiking, mountain bike riding, fishing - what it's all about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1489r.JPG (244.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg P1020414r.JPG (298.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P9051271r.JPG (194.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0357r.jpg (228.8 KB, 34 views)
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
No, the parks are not all the same. From traveling the country it seems state parks measurements are for the camper only, if it says 30', you could fit your 30' trailer on it. I've yet to run into one where the truck wouldn't't fit also, one way or another. National parks measurements are for the camper and TV combo, although I've seen many folks ignore it and d just fine. Guess if there was a problem they might throw the rules at you. Many places have small parking lots for the TV or extra cars when needed.

I try and look at them with Google map to see how wide or long they look when making reservations, tree cover gets in the way sometimes. With the national parks I reserved the longest I could get. Some were a little shorter then my combo but I had no real issues.

padlin is offline   Reply With Quote