Mexico - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If you use common sense in what you do, which routes you travel, where you go etc, all will be fine. If you are a member of a drug cartel, then extra caution may be required.

Sure there is crime, but there is back home too. Earlier this week 5 young adults were senselessly murdered here in Calgary, something that has the whole community shocked and saddened. A true tragedy. By the same reasoning of not going to Mexico, then people should definitely avoid Calgary.

I will be taking with a good friend who was my best man at our wedding that spends 2-3 months every winter in Mexico. Many other of his and my friends do the same, with many of them driving down, or at least renting a vehicle for the time down there. Because of costs, they tend to stay away from touristy areas. Be interesting to get his take on this apparent fearfulness.

Other friends of ours that spend 4-6 months in an RV park are on their way back right now. They pull their 5th wheel there and back every time. I will also get their take on travelling there. I can't remember off the top of my head where they go either, but I think it is not too far from a more popular area for tourists.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #22

I think lots of these official 'warnings' are posted to eliminate any responsibility from governing parties should something ever happen. All it does is add fuel to anyones possible fears of travelling in Mexico.

I did a bit of a search, and it seems for the huge number of tourists in Mexico, that there is very little report of tragic incidents. I could not find any statistics though. Is seems when there has been an incident it tends to get more attention than all the local crimes of similar severity do.

Anyhow, I do realize that in order to enjoy something, you cannot have a fear of it. If Mexico frightens you, then it would not be the place to go. There are definitely lots of alternatives to take. There certainly is lots of beauty in Mexico.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
You can sugar coat this all you want Jim. Your crime is nothing compared to the US/Mexico border crime. I suspect the news and information you get that far up is filtered to protect tourism. This has nothing to do about Americans or Canadians. This about drug violence and lack of security. Up until last week I worked shoulder to shoulder with Mexican immigrants in the oilfields of Texas. I hear the experiences and concerns of those who have fled this violence. These are guys that know the dangers and the safest routes and methods just wanting to go home to visit their families. It seems pointless to advise you not to travel and camp with your trailer in Mexico at this time.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #24

David, you still don't address any issues with tourists. I don't plan on getting involved in the drug trade at this time.

I may live in Canada, but not sure if you have heard, we don't all live in igloos anymore, and we actually don't live that 'sheltered' of a life anymore. Heck, we even have the internets up here now.

But you are definitely right in that advising me to do something I would enjoy greatly is not necessary. But then, I am the weird guy who loves camping in areas with bears, and looks forward to viewing them.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I am wondering if anyone has tried, or has known anyone who has tried going down with one of those "rv caravans" I've read about.

I tend towards not going down at all with a trailer. Of course, since we haven't got ours yet, and have Canada to focus on first it will be quite awhile before this sizzling internet debate becomes personally relevant.

It's good to hear both sides.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Might as well jump in here to, I love Mexico and have spent time wondering around a few small towns and never felt the least bit afraid. In fact we found most people very nice and friendly. I would love to spend a winter in Mexico with my trailer, we are planning to go again this winter but don't think I can talk my better half into taking it. Obviously some caution should be used when traveling anywhere.

We read and follow a lot of blogs from people that travel in Mexico as well as having a relative with a place there and from what I have seen and heard some days I think its safer then some of our cities. The only downside I have is it would be nice to learn more spanish and this is a short coming on my part, Although I can order drinks and food.

As a side note the picture under my name is in Mexico.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I may live in Canada, but not sure if you have heard, we don't all live in igloos anymore, and we actually don't live that 'sheltered' of a life anymore. Heck, we even have the internets up here now.

)

I was going to make the same comment, you beat me to it.

Interesting thread for me. I've traveled the world extensively, even to places where local crime included "strangle muggings". How pleasant is that? But starting several years ago because of several tourist incidents in Mexico I said "never going to Mexico"

So I recently just returned from a fantastic time at Cabo San Jose in the Baja There are several RV parks in that area. Of course the thought crossed my mind that maybe, just maybe, a trip down the Baja might be very enjoyable. But, despite being here in the high latitudes I am aware of the other situations. At this point I'm leaning towards not likely but, never say never

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
A few years ago the LA Times reported a police chief driving around in a stolen SUV. Lot of stolen vehicles down there. Taking your Escape to Mexico is like waving a red flag at a bull. Not exactly being low-key and blending in. Have to get Mexican insurance too, at least if you have US coverage. Those folks at AAA, etc. are pretty smart at risk assessment.

We honeymooned in Puerto Vallarta in '82 and was immediately struck by the fact that there were men in full army uniform with automatic weapons patrolling the tourist areas. Never wanted to go back-too many other places to go and not be worried about desperate people.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Both Doug and Eileen and Dave and Sandy, due to their proximity to Mexico maybe prone to receiving local information from the authorities that those further north are protected from. Our newscasts are totally different in different areas of the country and from our neighbors north or south of us. I'd take someone's opinion who is located close to the area a lot more than that of your tour director. Thus their words of caution should be taken seriously, travel at your own risk and right now, south is highly risky. A lot of travel done by tourists to resorts like Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, even Jamaica, the local governments take extreme efforts to protect the tourist trade. Why, because of $$ it brings into their country. As long as one stays within the protected areas but to travel beyond the compound is highly risky. Thus traveling by caravan along their highways outside the protected resort areas could be dangerous and could be construed by locals as not really helping them, thus they can be resentful.
There is so much to see here in the US and in Canada without any needed distractions.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Both Doug and Eileen and Dave and Sandy, due to their proximity to Mexico maybe prone to receiving local information from the authorities that those further north are protected from. Our newscasts are totally different in different areas of the country and from our neighbors north or south of us. I'd take someone's opinion who is located close to the area a lot more than that of your tour director. Thus their words of caution should be taken seriously, travel at your own risk and right now, south is highly risky. A lot of travel done by tourists to resorts like Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, even Jamaica, the local governments take extreme efforts to protect the tourist trade. Why, because of $$ it brings into their country. As long as one stays within the protected areas but to travel beyond the compound is highly risky. Thus traveling by caravan along their highways outside the protected resort areas could be dangerous and could be construed by locals as not really helping them, thus they can be resentful.
There is so much to see here in the US and in Canada without any needed distractions.
Jim I would travel MOST of Mexico at the drop of a hat and would not be worried. I think a lot of people are paranoid, we have always felt safe there. Maybe its just a Canadain thing... EH
Old 04-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #31

My bad, I confused you with Rossue as being closer to Mexico, you are a lot further away.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Hi Foxhunt,

My wife and I have spent quite a bit of time RVing in Baja. I can't attest to the mainland but Baja was absolutely amazing. The last time we went down we spent close to 2 months touring around in an 18 foot stick trailer and a Tacoma. We haven't had a single bad or scary experience in our travels at all. We actually have felt safer in Baja than we did in most of the USA. The people are so amazing and helpful everywhere you go, and everything is so much cheaper. For the bigger rigs it might be a bit limited but with our rig we spent most of the time dry camping for free on the many out of the way beaches. We saw a bunch of Caravans on our travels, and they would be a great way to start if you have any trepidation. They stick to a plan and that's just not for us so we did it solo. We are going to be picking up our our new 21 Escape in July and will definitely be spending the following winter again in Mexico. Don't let the media or anyone scare you away from this amazing country. You will not regret rolling around down there.

J
uncley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 21 coming in July!
I have traveled (in everything from a camper-van to a stick trailer) to Mexico since 2003 on various trips with my sister, my Mum, and now my husband. I, have stuck to Baja for practical reasons, but my mother (in her 60s) has traveled to the mainland (west coast to Mazatlan), solo, in her camper van. The key is to get out of the border towns as fast as you can, and you'll soon realize that the Mexicans are happy, friendly and helpful. It's pretty easy, if you have even a smattering of common sense, to avoid dangerous situations in Mexico, just like anywhere else. The amazing beaches, cheap-or-free camping, and overall experience make it very worthwhile. I feel a little sad when I see all the "snowbirds" - American AND Canadian - huddled in dusty RV parks on the American side of the border. Take the plunge, folks! Delicious tacos and deserted beaches await! Please feel free to PM me if you want any specifics on traveling to Baja - I'm happy to oblige!
whirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Thanks for all the different perspectives. I've heard that the Baja is safer to RV. I think we should listen to the words of caution and use common sense. I think Canadians may have a different perspective than Americans.

"Lightning can strike" aka bad things can happen to anyone (even Canadians venturing down into the States whee all the guns are). We need to pay attention and make as many informed decisions as we can. As I type this little post I'm siting on a balcony over looking the ocean at Playa Del Carmen as we celebrate our 40th wedding aniversary( I got married when I was five). We saw soldiers with sub machine guns at various points coming down from Cancun. Wierd to see that for a Canadian.

I can see the day we might slip down below the US border. Perhaps Jim and I will organize our own little escape caravan.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:28 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ouch. I can see this thread heading south.
Not supposed to mention guns, politics or religion.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:29 AM   #36

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I had a 30' sailboat that I took from San Francisco Bay down through out Mexico. Only guns I saw were on Navy Vessels, both US and Mexican Navy's. There was a municipal election ongoing in La Paz when we first got there, then later a Presidential election. Love the deep faith that the Mexican people have.
Having got that out of my system, now my story. Our experiences were phenomenal. Spent 5-6 weeks each winter on the boat. Sailed down the Baja peninsula to Cabo then up to La Paz. Kept the boat in that area for a couple of years, then crossed the Sea of Cortez to Mazatlan. Stayed there a year or so, then down to Banderas Bay for a few years.
Met many Mexican people who became our friends and would trust them with our lives. For the most part, most of the people are honest, hard working, and just trying to get ahead in life, no different from anyone at home.
While we spent our time in Marinas, some friends has condos, trailered down, or were renting. Just like being at home, no problems because we chose where to go, when to go, and who to hang with.... Show people respect and be sincere with them, and you will get the same in return.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 19
The Gypsy Woman and I just returned from Mexico. We drove from Alberta. Spent the winter in Mazatlan in a rented apartment. Which is cheaper than the fees at most RV Parks on the ocean. We drove all over Sinaloa and Sonora without any problems. I was using #2 gas 87 octane and it fouled my injectors and caused the O2 sensors to misbehave. The Chrysler dealer in Mazatlan fixed the issue and advised me to only use premium fuel while in Mexico. Although our Spanish is limited the local people went out of their way to be patient and understanding, in both the cities and the villages. We plan to return in October.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
All sounds great. I have gone a few times but not driven some day I would like to drive down to Baja and stay a while. My friends have gone camping in that area and had a great time. Thanks for all the advice !
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape "Bess" 19' Sept. 2013
Picked up the trailer in Chilliwack and drove to San Diego to supply then down Baja to Pescadero BCS which is 8 km south of the sleepy artist/surfer town of Todos Santo and 60 km away from the big city of Cabo San Lucas to our south We use this as a home base and travel the world 4 months out of the year. The ride down Baja is breathtaking but a DRIVE meaning you have to pay attention. You don't cruise with the cruise control on. We are Residente Temporal working towards Residente Permanente and Mexican Citizenship. We love it here. The weather is perfect all year long. And for you guys north of the US it's like Canada South here. Every time we say to someone we live in Pescadero they ask if we're Canadian. Be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mount...ref=ts&fref=ts
"You're not lost if you don't care where you are."
escape13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #40

cool place down there, looks like a real nice rv park.