Monument Valley Campground - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Monument Valley Campground

It appears that the Navajo campground at Monument Valley is finally open. I've stopped by a number of times starting in 2011 & was told that it will open "next year" each time; according to the article there are 30 RV sites & 30 wilderness sites.

If anyone visits the area, I'd love a report.

On Edit -

Sorry there are two "Monument Valley" post headings. If a moderator can change mine to Monument Valley Campground, it would probably make more sense...
Old 01-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We'll be out there in Oct, will try and remember to look over Navajo. Thinking of staying at Sand Island State Park instead of Gouldings or Navajo, it's 45 minutes to the east.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
We just booked a site for early April at the tribal "View" campground in Monument Valley. Apparently the campground will not open until March 15, but we were able to make an online reservation at Campground | Monument Valley View.

-Dave
Old 02-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Just a heads up - RV Park Reviews has one post for the campground - $42.00 for dry camping.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Re: Navajo campground in Monument Valley, "...connecting and touching Mother Earth, dry camping at $42 bucks a night. That's a for sure form of healing and medicine, a real down-to-earth experience. But will they accept my Geezer Pass?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #6

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Re: Navajo campground in Monument Valley, "...connecting and touching Mother Earth, dry camping at $42 bucks a night. That's a for sure form of healing and medicine, a real down-to-earth experience. But will they accept my Geezer Pass?
No way. It's a Navajo park now, not National.
Entry Fees
General Admission - $10.00
Ages 9 or younger - Free
There will be a fee increase for entrance into the park beginning April 1, 2014
Per vehicle fee: $20.00, up to four people
Additional person(s), $10.00Commercial fees: 1-6 passengers, $35.00 7-15 passengers, $100.00
16-25 passengers, $125.00
26-+ passengers, $300.00
**National Parks and Golden Eagle Passes are not accepted.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #7

Yikes, that's got me thinking of a down to earth mother experience someplace else.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We recommend Gouldings, it is a very nice RV Park with a great view to the east. We also recommend the 3 1/2 hour Native American Guided Tour. It is expensive but the roads inside Monument Valley are awful and the guided tour goes to places they don't let others drive to.

If interested our blog entry:
BirdingRVers: Monument Valley

Also in the area:
BirdingRVers: Valley of the Gods - Mexican Hat - Goosenecks

BirdingRVers: Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments

“The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Yikes, that's got me thinking of a down to earth mother experience someplace else.
Yeah, I'll pass. I remember the last time we went to 4 Corners they charged us just to see the USGS Marker -- that they didn't fund but the taxpayers did. I understand its on Navajo land but it smacked of money grubbing to me. YMMV.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant & Kathy View Post
We recommend Gouldings, it is a very nice RV Park with a great view to the east. We also recommend the 3 1/2 hour Native American Guided Tour. It is expensive but the roads inside Monument Valley are awful and the guided tour goes to places they don't let others drive to.

If interested our blog entry:
BirdingRVers: Monument Valley

Also in the area:
BirdingRVers: Valley of the Gods - Mexican Hat - Goosenecks

BirdingRVers: Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments
I noticed that your last blog entry was in July, 2013. Are you not blogging anymore?
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I noticed that your last blog entry was in July, 2013. Are you not blogging anymore?
The blog was always meant to be a travel blog. Once we bought the house in Bandon we stopped fulltiming and sold our 5th wheel.

Although it was an amazing 6 years, it is a long time to live in less than 400 square feet, and both sets of parents well into their 80s have had severe health issues.

We will be picking up our new Escape 21 just a few days past the second anniversary of moving into the house.

Apparently, Wanderlust is an incurable condition.

“The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, I'll pass. I remember the last time we went to 4 Corners they charged us just to see the USGS Marker -- that they didn't fund but the taxpayers did. I understand its on Navajo land but it smacked of money grubbing to me. YMMV.
Right on, and same goes for their Antelope Canyon tours, near Page, AZ, which at around eighty bucks for two people is absurd. Maybe visitors from another planet will shell out, but a rip-off is a rip off in any language.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #13

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Right on, and same goes for their Antelope Canyon tours, near Page, AZ, which at around eighty bucks for two people is absurd. Maybe visitors from another planet will shell out, but a rip-off is a rip off in any language.
I guess we are passing on 4 corners. Too bad that its about money so much of the time.

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
I guess we are passing on 4 corners. Too bad that its about money so much of the time.

ken
Don't get me wrong Ken, I still enjoyed visiting the 4 Corners marker. Its just that I remember it as a kid when you just drove up and took a photo, instead of paying the $5 or $10 per person fee, then being hounded to buy a trinket or some Navajo Fry Bread while you're there. I've visited many tribal areas and they are usually quite well kept, and the Native Americans are friendly and helpful. I haven't seen that in Navajo country though. That tribe's leaders seem to enjoy charging as much money as possible while spending as little of it as possible to maintain their facilities.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #15

Trailer: none
It's only about money if you make it so. If it is someplace you want to see then go. For the equivalent cost of a nice lunch you get to see amazingly beautiful places. We've been to Monument Valley since it became a Navajo park and it is still spectacular. The new hotel there is beautifully done and blends into the landscape unlike anything I've seen elsewhere....I'm happy to forgive them a little price gouging given the history....
Just sayin'...to each his/her own....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought the price charged for a little drive around Monument Valley kind of smacked of sticking it to the tourist. Gave it a pass. Anted up for 4 corners though because it's sort of a one of a kind situation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm with Fran and Dave on this one. Monument Valley in the Snow is on my bucket list. It's a one and done and hope to enjoy every single moment. Yeah, you can camp 50 miles away, but still... when the time comes, it's about the memories and the experience and you'll never see and experience another place quite like it. To me, that's worth the price. I'll eat beans for a week to make up for the fees. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm with Fran and Dave on this one. Monument Valley in the Snow is on my bucket list. It's a one and done and hope to enjoy every single moment. Yeah, you can camp 50 miles away, but still... when the time comes, it's about the memories and the experience and you'll never see and experience another place quite like it. To me, that's worth the price. I'll eat beans for a week to make up for the fees. YMMV
I don't disagree. I've been to Monument Valley when you could just drive through and also after it became a Navajo Park. Each time it was stunningly beautiful. I use the phrase awe-inspiring very little but it fits there. That is part of the reason why I think its a national treasure that should be accessible by everyone, without any special interest taking advantage -- that's all.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
To me, that's worth the price. I'll eat beans for a week to make up for the fees. YMMV
I guess I have a perverse nature. The cost really isn't an issue, it's when I feel like I'm being ripped off I'd sooner say, forget it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:28 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When you think about it, all of our national parks/sites once belonged to the native americans...