My favorite KOA campgrounds - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Seems like most KOAs I have stayed at were placed between the interstate and a heavily used freight train line. Yet they are priced like they are a resort. I stayed at one in CO last year, they asked me to join the club. I shared with them the typical location. They were happy to report that their KOA was not located that way. The interstate and freight train tracks were both beside the campground on one side, rather than the campground being placed between the two. I guess that was progress.. sort of..
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Not a KOA, but if you like trains and train whistles, Paxaco Kansas sits right next to the tracks and the trains start about 10 PM and run every hour all night. Since the entrance to the campground is a RR crossing, you get to hear that beautiful whistle all night long. We stayed in a tent twice and got to feel the rumble of the wheels. Unforgettable.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Bay Area Redwoods

Can count on one hand private campgrounds we've stayed at. This one we needed near the end of a trip to Mendocino as the weather on the coast was windy & cold.
Very accomodating- let us stay in their "overflow" area as it was more secluded which was to our liking. On the Russian River.
Camping on the Russian River
Old 03-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
Not a KOA, but if you like trains and train whistles, Paxaco Kansas sits right next to the tracks and the trains start about 10 PM and run every hour all night. Since the entrance to the campground is a RR crossing, you get to hear that beautiful whistle all night long. We stayed in a tent twice and got to feel the rumble of the wheels. Unforgettable.
Sounds like my kind of place, both for camping and otherwise. If you ever attend the Algonac Rally over on FGRV, the cg is right along a narrow canal that joins Lake Erie and Lake Huron. Our site was on the water and one could feel the vibrations from the ships engine. The went south to Detroit low in the water and came back empty and high in the water. Really interesting, especially at night when they have their lights on and blow their air horn.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
I'm not a fan of KOA prices, but the one we stay at in Winthrop WA is a gem that we rarely miss. It is quiet, right by the river and a pleasant bike ride or walk to the small town center. The bath facilities are the best we have found anywhere, a series of separate bathrooms, each with toilet, sink, shower, heater, and always spotlessly clean. And the showers actually produce water when you turn them on.

If you visit during late April - early May, you can hike or bike through spectacular blooms of balsam root flowers in the hills surrounding the town. If I was more organized, I might be able to find pictures...
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I am not much of a KOA fan generally. The night before last we stayed at the Wytheville, Va KOA just off I-77. It was quite nice with big sites, clean bathrooms, and a huge rec room with even a 5 lane bowling alley. Had a a Hunts Brothers pizza for $10 bucks and kicked back. Was $43 with tax which I was Ok with. Don't know if they are higher in the summer but I thought it was well worth it.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Don't think that we have ever stayed at a KOA. They seem a little too commercialized for my tastes. We prefer to camp in public sites including Provincial Parks, National Parks, and on Crown Land (boondocking) sites. We have used private campgrounds a couple of times when public sites are not available, but so far that has been very seldom.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Don't think that we have ever stayed at a KOA. They seem a little too commercialized for my tastes. We prefer to camp in public sites including Provincial Parks, National Parks, and on Crown Land (boondocking) sites. We have used private campgrounds a couple of times when public sites are not available, but so far that has been very seldom.
This seems to be the preference to most who come from a background of doing backcountry travel, where just having the trailer in a boondocking situation is considered a luxury. Many come to using trailers later in life as a way to travel and tend to look at it as roughing. Heck, I have good friends who think that way. I think I am travelling in relative luxury.

Neither though is wrong though, as getting out and using the trailer is the main thing.

Here is a crappy phone shot of our friends and us at Quartzsite a few weeks ago. Note how I placed my trailer forward in the shot to make it appear bigger.

After camping here for a few nights, and previously at a State Park for 9, we had to follow them to an RV park in Yuma for a week, so they could get their fix.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote