National Parks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Re: National Parks

That seems like a lot of propane for one week to me too. Have you considered one of those ceramic cube heaters and using the park's electricity? I'm not a big fan of being cold either and my experience is only in a more temperate climate. Perhaps I under estimate. I'd rather fry than freeze
Old 04-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #22

Heating water takes a LOT of energy. Those showers are draining your propane.

I'll keep that in mind.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Jim...We're lucky the previous owners found out that there was a dual fuel water heater and they waited an extra day in Chilliwack while it was installed. I think Geo. even went to pick it up while Reace took out the original one!!! Now that's what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L
That seems like a lot of propane for one week to me too. Have you considered one of those ceramic cube heaters and using the park's electricity? I'm not a big fan of being cold either and my experience is only in a more temperate climate. Perhaps I under estimate. I'd rather fry than freeze
Hi Sandra,
We have one we normally use for heating, but we couldn't carry EVERYTHING on the plane. I personally don't like to use the shower facilities at campgrounds. I KNOW HokieEscapes bath is clean and free of micro organisms that like to get between your toes, and I don't have to walk through the cold, carry all my stuff, etc. When we filled our one tank at Camping World, it was $11, so I don't think its worth staying colder, or less hygienic to save an additional $11.
Interesting, that our water hose was frozen last night. The camps faucet was supposed to be heated, but when I plugged in our hair dryer to thaw it, it didn't work, so I'm assuming they have something bad in the line. Our trusty fresh water tank wasn't frozen, so I still got my hot, wake up shower anyway.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

Hokie-
One of the things that worked for us in our Casita was to turn the water heater off as we went to bed, and turn it on when we got up - by the time coffee was done and a cup consumed it was hot enough. Also, after our morning needs we would turn it off during the day and turn it on again before dinner - plenty of time for dishes and showers later on. Our thought was why use propane to keep it up to temp when there was no demand? Any way, it works for us.
Because we dry camp almost all the time, we don't use electrical devices - we have been using a Colman sport cat gas heater if it is really cold, with the proviso of making sure that there is plenty of ventilation available. If it's not too cold, plenty of blankets and duvet with the first one up starting the heater to take the chill off. We have tried to not use the installed heater because it is noisy when it functions and we figure with the fan it is a considerable draw on the battery. It will be interesting for us with the 19 - two 6 volt and a monitor, solar panel installed by Reace and LED lights all 'round. We have really enjoyed your post/blog as you make your way back East and look forward to more. Ian

Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Dear Hokie ,
I'm with you. I need my own bath! The turn off the H2O heater is a good idea too. I don't think it would be long to heat up 6 gallons.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

The other way of looking at it is it only costs
$11.00 to fill a 20lb propane (not the end of the world)
and by the time you burn through 2 of them you will
probably have run out of something else thus facilitating
a trip to the nearest town anyway.
This always seemed to be the was with our camper.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #28

Hi: HokieEscape...That's a really good price for Propane...too bad about the early hour of discovery tho. We really must be neophyte's as we have only ever filled one tank and it was empty when we got the trailer.We are used to a Boler and hot water& heat came from the kettle on the stove but then no shower either
Old 04-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L
Dear Hokie ,
I'm with you. I need my own bath! The turn off the H2O heater is a good idea too. I don't think it would be long to heat up 6 gallons.
Hi All,
Yes, we've started turning it on with the coffee (good tip Ian), and then turning it off when done. I'm sure it will save a lot, because as someone said, it takes a lot of propane to heat water. Sandra, tomorrow AM, when I turn it on, I'll listen and time it (been meaning to do that anyway) and let everyone know as a point of reference.
Heh I just noticed, I've been awarded the title of "Full Escapee"!!!!! We feel like full Escapee's now : - )
Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #30

Yep.. we always turn on the water heater 5 min before we use it to take a shower or wash.. then just turn it off.. takes about 5 min to heat everything up and that's it.. not a problem at all..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #31

Well, back to the places to stay or not:
A couple of nights ago, we stayed in Shenandoah National Park, along the Skyline Drive. It's the northern part of the BlueRidge Parkway. Absolutely beautiful vista's along the whole 470 or so miles that make up the National Park and BlueRidge Parkway. It extends from Front Royal, VA, down to Cherokee, NC, the entire length of the BlueRidge Mountains. Many wonderful campgrounds, but none with elec/water, although most have toilets, potable water and dumpstations. However, don't stay during the summer, and defininitely, not on weekends, they are PACKED! At least in the Shenandoah National Park! That is NOT camping! However, when the kids are all back in school, go for it!

Right now we are in Lancaster, PA (well, actually in Intercourse, PA..but it seems better to say my wife and I are in the middle of Lancaster than that we are in the middle of .... :- )). Yes, Lancaster County...Amish Country, and the sights are just beautiful. We are staying at Beacon Hill Campground, only about 1/3 mile from downtown Intercourse, where there is some great eatiing and wonderful shopping. Horse drawn buggies, farmers working with beautiful horse teams. Take a look below at our view from our chairs this AM. That's a beautiful Amish farm in the background, with their livestock on the hill. Come on East, there's some beautiful places to go.
Attached Thumbnails
LancasterPA2.jpg  
Old 07-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #32

Hi: All and a grand Hello from P.E.I. Canada. Happy 4Th. to all our American Cousins.
We have just finished a visit to Cape Breton Highlands Nat. Pk. in Nova Scotia...WOW!!! Every turn in the road is another WOW!!! I will post some pic.s when I return home. On the way there we will be visiting EMILY Prov. Pk. for the "Cosy Camping" Bolerama. Enjoy the summer camping wherever!!!Alf.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #33

Heh Alf, we visited Cape Breton Island a few years ago, and WOW is the correct word. Love to go back with HokieEscape and camp it one day. Have fun!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #34

Glad to see this thread back on track!

I don't make a habit of staying in National Park CG because of the noise, congestion, etc, but was very pleasantly surprised to spend the 4th Holiday in a NPCG and it was very QUIET. Ok, where you ask. Try the Black Canyon of the Gunnison near Delta Colorado, on the North Rim. There is 6 miles of graded dirt road getting there so possibly that keeps out the bigger RVs, only 13 sites, and many are not very level, but if tranquility is what you are looking for you will love the place. Of course I may have just been fortunate in my timing, but I spent 8 days there with no loud music, no kids screaming, no ATVs. It was woderful. Maybe it was so quiet because after a look into the 2000' deep, sheer walled canyon left most people speechless! A few words of caution. Other than gazing into the canyon there is not a lot else to do here. Only three hiking trails, all short. Only a few miles of dirt road to the 5 or 6 overlooks. But if you are a serious climber your in heaven (not me). Also all sites are first come, first served, but while I was there it only filled up one night and that was on a holiday weekend. Several times I walked out to a close by overlook and gazed into the canyon for hours under near full moonlight.....beautiful!

BTW this review applies to the North Rim only, the South Rim is much busier just like the Grand Canyon.

Alan

Ace Brown is offline   Reply With Quote