Nellie E's Saloon, near Parker, AZ - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2016, 12:56 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Greggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Solvang, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Posts: 764
Nellie E's Saloon, near Parker, AZ

We'd been hearing about this mythical bar in the Arizona desert for awhile. On a recent trip to Parker, AZ, it came up again and we decided to check it out. WOW! It's a must see but be prepared. The drive begins 6 miles or so north of Parker, AZ on US 95, turn off on Cienega Springs Rd and be prepared for a 5 mile drive on a rutted desert road littered with car parts and past a shooting range! The place is only open on weekends from noon to 6pm. When we headed over, we got into a conga line of about 50 cars with the same idea we had to get there when it opened.

We saw a couple rental cars and family trucksters but I sure as he*l wouldn't do it with anything less than a well maintained high clearance truck or SUV. 4x4 isn't necessary, the road is ok but rutted.

After resisting the temptation of turning around several times, we were rewarded with a view of a deserted mine that has turned into a true oasis! 3 bands, 4 different food vendors, horseshoes, plenty of "refreshments" (everybody was under control, it's not THAT kind of place), pool tables, and seating for a couple hundred. All this with no utility hookups, all solar and well water!

The food is great. Next time tho, we're scaring up 5 or 6 others to share that nacho's (desert poutine, folks). It's served in an aluminum roasting pan, looks awesome, and there's enough for a herd. I'm guessing it weighs 7 or 8 pounds!

I'll let the pictures describe it better than I can:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3198.jpg (242.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3226.jpg (162.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3211.jpg (269.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3209.jpg (213.5 KB, 62 views)
__________________

__________________
Some who wander are not lost...
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,162
Cool report Greggo. Looks like a Quartzsite gathering day trip next Feb.
__________________

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
We'd been hearing about this mythical bar in the Arizona desert for awhile. On a recent trip to Parker, AZ, it came up again and we decided to check it out. WOW! It's a must see but be prepared. The drive begins 6 miles or so north of Parker, AZ on US 95, turn off on Cienega Springs Rd and be prepared for a 5 mile drive on a rutted desert road littered with car parts and past a shooting range! The place is only open on weekends from noon to 6pm. When we headed over, we got into a conga line of about 50 cars with the same idea we had to get there when it opened.

We saw a couple rental cars and family trucksters but I sure as he*l wouldn't do it with anything less than a well maintained high clearance truck or SUV. 4x4 isn't necessary, the road is ok but rutted.

After resisting the temptation of turning around several times, we were rewarded with a view of a deserted mine that has turned into a true oasis! 3 bands, 4 different food vendors, horseshoes, plenty of "refreshments" (everybody was under control, it's not THAT kind of place), pool tables, and seating for a couple hundred. All this with no utility hookups, all solar and well water!

The food is great. Next time tho, we're scaring up 5 or 6 others to share that nacho's (desert poutine, folks). It's served in an aluminum roasting pan, looks awesome, and there's enough for a herd. I'm guessing it weighs 7 or 8 pounds!

I'll let the pictures describe it better than I can:
Will have to put that on our bucket list . Nice picture of you and Ann. I have some neighbors that moved there too . Looks like you are having lot's of fun Gregg . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Greggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Solvang, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Posts: 764
Greg, I'd have put $'s on you having checked it out already. Fersure, let's have a road trip caravan out there in Feb. Earl can be the DD. It kind of reminds me of Pancho Barnes's place in The Right Stuff or Chuck Yeager's book. A hopping joint literally in the middle of noplace.

Greggo
__________________
Some who wander are not lost...
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,693
That conga line of cars reminds me of herd of cattle being corralled.....
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,934
Lot's of people, but that can be lots of fun. Quite the setup they have. Any more photos? A place to maybe add to the "check-it-out" list.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,285
Here are a couple more views of the Desert Bar: Sunday, January 26, 2014. If you don't want to drive, they will fly you in from Lake Havasu City in a helicopter, although I suspect it is a bit more expensive than driving!
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Greggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Solvang, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Here are a couple more views of the Desert Bar: Sunday, January 26, 2014. If you don't want to drive, they will fly you in from Lake Havasu City in a helicopter, although I suspect it is a bit more expensive than driving!
Great shots, Jon. I'm not surprised you'd have been out there, esp since the turnoff is just up the road from Buckskin.

What a find.
__________________
Some who wander are not lost...
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Greggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Solvang, California
Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Great shots, Jon. I'm not surprised you'd have been out there, esp since the turnoff is just up the road from Buckskin.

What a find.
Jon, I'm thinking La Paz is where you go at the River?
__________________
Some who wander are not lost...
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Jon, I'm thinking La Paz is where you go at the River?
I didn't go there this year, but spent a month in site 20 at the park in 2014. I also spent 2 weeks at Buckskin & 2 weeks at Cattail Cove state parks.
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.