Northern Vancouver Island in November - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Northern Vancouver Island in November

My wife will be traveling in SE Asia during November with her cousin, so I'm thinking of taking the trailer and our dog up to the north end of Vancouver Island for a few days. The area is about four hours drive from our home.

Any camping we've done there was in tents and long ago, so I'm wondering if people who've camped there have suggestions for attractive campgrounds that would still be open in November.

One friend loves Cluxewe Resort which is near Port MacNeill.

I'd prefer to be right on the ocean and away from the highway. Are there any others I should consider? Thanks for any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
cluxewe-resort-11.jpg  
Old 10-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We liked Telegraph Cove up island. I'm not sure if they're still open this time of the year though.

Telegraph Cove Resort / North Vancouver Island Whale Watching / Salmon Fishing and Camping
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 15-A
Cluxewe without a doubt. Try to get a spot on the water at the north end of the campground. Here's a link to the campground map.

Cluxewe Resort | Camping on Northern Vancouver Island, BC

The one in Port Hardy is pretty dark, as well as buggy in the summer. There is also a campground in Sayward right at the end of the road just abovethe government dock. There is a log dump / sorting yard nearby so it could be a bit noisy.
Regards

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Gortex jacket and pants, rubber boots, gloves, so'wester, umbrella', warm clothing, towels

Those are my recommendations.

sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
I second (third?) Cluxewe, one of our favourite up-Island spots. If you don't need hookups, try to get (should be easy this time of year) for the very last site at the North end -- Straight on your one side, estuary on the other, and a nice walk along the spit. Last spring I was enchanted watching a grey wolf for about half hour criss-crossing the estuary -- magical!

I don't recall the name, maybe Bear River? a few km North of Campbell River, turn East, about 30 km along to a forest company campsite on the ocean. Rough road in. Near a fish farm research station, name escapes me.

We also like Buttle Lake in Strathcona, & another forest company site on an unnamed lake West of Hwy 19 & North of the hwy to Port Alice. Careful of logging trucks. The BC Backroads guide is your friend! More so than my memory!
Old 10-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Followup: My favourite spot at Cluxewe, at the far northern end, might be a tight fit for a 21 -- we used to do it in a Boler 13 which allowed reorienting manually to catch the best view. Backing in a 21 might not work? -- but there should be almost-as-good spots which will fit a 21!
Old 10-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There's a great spot up-island from Comox, right on the water, overlooking the strait, with full hookups, free shower, an espresso maker, TV and WiFi included.
Wait, that's your house.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #8

And you're welcome any time, gbaglo. We've even got a power hookup and a grey water drain now for your 17B.

And maybe a snorkel, too, in November, Sleepy?

So Cluxewe it shall be for this trip, and some of the other suggestions another time. Thanks for the information, everyone.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just make sure you post a report and lots of pix from north island in November. Asia sounds real good this time of year.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just make sure you post a report and lots of pix from north island in November.
Taking care to open the camera body periodically to let the rainwater drain out.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:04 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Alder Bay Resort, if it's open, is beautiful with full service sites overlooking the ocean towards Alert Bay. Very clean showers and laundry room. Boat slips and launch. Been going there every summer for the last 12 years. Alder Bay Resort - Telegraph Cove, British Columbia
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Campground is a great place to stay on your way up North Island:
Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park - BC Parks
and Bella Pacifica is nice in the Tofino area:
Bella Pacifica Campground | Tofino BC
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
I second (third?) Cluxewe, one of our favourite up-Island spots. If you don't need hookups, try to get (should be easy this time of year) for the very last site at the North end -- Straight on your one side, estuary on the other, and a nice walk along the spit. Last spring I was enchanted watching a grey wolf for about half hour criss-crossing the estuary -- magical!

I don't recall the name, maybe Bear River? a few km North of Campbell River, turn East, about 30 km along to a forest company campsite on the ocean. Rough road in. Near a fish farm research station, name escapes me.

We also like Buttle Lake in Strathcona, & another forest company site on an unnamed lake West of Hwy 19 & North of the hwy to Port Alice. Careful of logging trucks. The BC Backroads guide is your friend! More so than my memory!
Lotar & Wendy,
My wife and I hope to start exploring Vancouver Island when we get our 21. I looked for the BC Backroads guide you mentioned. I found this on Amazon.

Vancouver Island BC: Backroad Mapbook (Backroad Mapbook. Vancouver, Coast & Mountains): Russell Mussio, Wesley Mussio: 9781897225745: Amazon.com: Books

Is this the same guide you were recommending?