Off to the left coast - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
Off to the left coast

We are headed west in a week to escape the GWN.
Our first USA stop will be Deception Pass State park and after that we will head south along 101 to northern California
Please share you favourite campground, lighthouse, things to do, or place to go.
We will have the dogs so "dog friendly" would be nice for most things
I have been searching the archives and have some great ideas already but a few more will not hurt
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Be sure to stop for lunch or a break at Fat Smitty's at the intersection of Highways 20 and 101...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7264.jpg  
Attached Images

'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #3

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
left coast

If you have not been on hiway 1, turn off 101 to the real coast and you will see great sights and you will appreciate a small trailer. You can go all of the way to SFO on 1.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 5.0
A whole lot of great things to see and do. Just a few of my favorites :
> Cape Disappointment State Park (WA side of the mouth of the Columbia), really enjoyed the North Head Lighthouse nearby
> Nehalem Bay Campground (central Oregon), nice small town (Manzanita)
> There's a nice (spendy) art community 20 miles north - Cannon Beach, including some gorgeous glassblowing
> Beverly Beach campground
> Bullards Beach campground, near Bandon
Tons more.

I'm curious ... We were used to traveling with a small westie, but just adopted a Polish Lowland Sheepdog (40 pound range). Between him and his sister (our son's), who we may bring along, we were getting concerned about living space in our 5.0 (which is essentially a 17b with an upstairs bed). So have you found enough room to coexist with your two dogs? We were considering we just might have to upgrade to a 21, but really love the 5.0.

Best wishes on your trip, wish we could do the same.
2010 Escape 5.0 (The Escape Valve)
John Culp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #5

wow that was quick

That burger place looks great (wonder if they have poutine)

We will try some of Highway 1 but from what i remember some of it is narrow, hilly and curvey.

No problem with 2 dogs as they are only about 40 pounds and tollers are generally well behaved. We used to travel with a smaller trailer,( surfside) and a 75 pound golden retriever and a little poodle type dog so it seems like we have lots of room.
great suggestions for spots

thanks to all of you
Old 03-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post
That burger place looks great (wonder if they have poutine)
Probably not, they sometimes eat different kinds of food than us, I remember the first time, as a teenager, I asked for some vinegar with my fries and they were kind of puzzled

Before we started travelling extensively we worried about travelling with dogs. As time went by we started to realize, that while some extra work is involved, dogs are great ice-breakers and over-all it was a positive thing to do, even in countries where dogs aren't viewed the same way we view them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post
We are headed west in a week to escape the GWN.
Our first USA stop will be Deception Pass State park and after that we will head south along 101 to northern California
Please share you favourite campground, lighthouse, things to do, or place to go.
We will have the dogs so "dog friendly" would be nice for most things
I have been searching the archives and have some great ideas already but a few more will not hurt
I put together a spread sheet of all the campgrounds mentioned in the forum before my trip from Chilliwack to North Carolina last year. If you will search for the thread: "Travel After Chilliwack - No 2" and the 2nd post, you will see my spread sheet. I found it extremely helpful when traveling. We spent 49 nights in the Escape, in our case staying in non-commercial campgrounds. At the least, these campgrounds were used by other Escape owners and I've inserted the longitude & latitude so you can find it with GPS. Hopefully, you will find it helpful.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
In Tillamook, OR I took the tour of the Cheese Factory which was OK, and had a great time at the Air Museum. (Some of my photos)

While I'm sure the locals can give you better ideas of places to see, I've spent some time along 101 on all my trips to the west - Journals are linked here.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
In Tillamook, OR I took the tour of the Cheese Factory which was OK, and had a great time at the Air Museum. (Some of my photos)
Unfortunately the Tillamook Air Museum's WWII planes were recently moved away: "in April 2013, the museum announced that the part of its collection owned by Jack Erickson would be moving from Tillamook to Madras, Oregon, and all of the World War II aircraft had been removed by September 2014."

I am disappointed, since I have yet to visit the Air Museum in spite of our annual trips through the Tillamook area.

-Dave
Old 03-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Culp View Post
A whole lot of great things to see and do. Just a few of my favorites :
> Cape Disappointment State Park (WA side of the mouth of the Columbia), really enjoyed the North Head Lighthouse nearby
> Nehalem Bay Campground (central Oregon), nice small town (Manzanita)
> There's a nice (spendy) art community 20 miles north - Cannon Beach, including some gorgeous glassblowing
> Beverly Beach campground
> Bullards Beach campground, near Bandon
Tons more.

I'm curious ... We were used to traveling with a small westie, but just adopted a Polish Lowland Sheepdog (40 pound range). Between him and his sister (our son's), who we may bring along, we were getting concerned about living space in our 5.0 (which is essentially a 17b with an upstairs bed). So have you found enough room to coexist with your two dogs? We were considering we just might have to upgrade to a 21, but really love the 5.0.

Best wishes on your trip, wish we could do the same.
I've been asked that since its just you, why the 21ft and not something smaller. I tell them that I will be traveling with my 2 shih tzu's and 2 cats and this is why I bought the larger trailer.
Love my little family....
Marion
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1549 View Post
I've been asked that since its just you, why the 21ft and not something smaller. I tell them that I will be traveling with my 2 shih tzu's and 2 cats and this is why I bought the larger trailer.
Love my little family....
Marion

I think you will love the ability to "stretch out" in the 21. I do as a solo.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I think you will love the ability to "stretch out" in the 21. I do as a solo.
Never thought of it that way lol
I have ants in my pants waiting for Sept. So looking forward to this.
Marion
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Alan
Highway 101 from Crescent City to the Golden Gate Bridge is a fantasic scenic drive. Crescent city has a great Brew pub. Great camping at Richardson's Grove south of Eureka on the Eel River or just south of their at Standish hickey park, many others theses are just a few. You will have these places to yourself. Two and half hours south…… A great route to see the Pacific Ocean on Highway 1 is River Road north of Santa rosa. Once on One ….. A short distance south is Doran Beach at Bodega Bay is really good camping spot but the secrete is out, still worth the try, From there you can travel back to US 101 through Petaluma OR Continue south on One ( my recommendation ) Through Tomales bay …… Stop at Hog Island Oysters or Tomales bay Oysters . Through the town of Point Reyes Station….. Tomales bay food company, Bovine Bakery. A few miles south of there you can get back to US 101 from the town of Olema on Sir Francis Drake . To continue on Highway from there is somewhat difficult…… You must climb over MT. Tam 2600' Narrow winding … You could safely drive it. Hope this helps
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Culp View Post
The 5 TA is basically a 21 from the doorway back. Could have the best of both!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Last week I was at Cape Disappointment outside of Ilwaco, WA, (my first outing), a nice large campground, 2 lighthouses, Lewis & Clark Interpretative Center, hiking and, most importantly, it's dog friendly.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #16

Cape disappointment is on our list

Richardson's Grove south of Eureka sounds good. the last time we were in Eureka it was just changing from logging to tourist so it will be good to see that again. i will check out your suggested routes

all this talk of 21's .........17 is where it is at

tilamook sounds good, i can stock up on curds for poutine. is this where the Spruce Goose is?

the spread sheet is great i found a few gems in there

For all your dog lovers check this out Dog-Friendly Wine Tours - Home hopefully i can give a review in a few weeks

thanks to all of you for your tips ( even you 21 guys)
Old 03-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 5.0
No, The Spruce Goose is in McMinnville, which is close to Portland, at the Evergreen Museum. If you are really interested in seeing it (it really is an impressive sight), you might want to swing towards Portland and visit ... Evergreen Aviation (the parent company) is in bankruptcy, and sadly some of the planes have already been sold off. It is an impressive air museum. So is the museum in Tillamook that John Vermilye chrinicalled above.
Link : evergreen-museum.org/
2010 Escape 5.0 (The Escape Valve)
John Culp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Also don't forget to stop at the Tillamook Country Smoker to load up on outlet prices on their jerky. Haven't been there personally, but have had their jerky.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #19

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
We love the Brookings, OR area. Harris Beach S.P. is a nice campground and there is also a nice campground at the harbor. Our favorite beach is Wales Head, about 10 miles (maybe less) North of town. The beaches in Oregon are amazing! There is also lot's of hiking and exploring to do in the Samuel H. Boardman S.P. You can then cross into CA and stop at All Star Liquors in Smith River. Cheapest price on booze that I have ever seen!! Have fun, Bob.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Atop the dunes at Nehalem Bay. One of our favourites.
Attached Thumbnails
Ore 09 Les.jpg