Oregon Camping Ideas Wanted - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #21

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And the Cheddar made in Cheddar England will cure you from any North American Cheddar. First time I tasted it: "Oh, so that's what Cheddar is supposed to taste like."
Tell me about it! My current cracker cheese is cheddar made in Ireland, Wales, another one I forget and one called "Tickler". I just go to the small Italian grocery in Seattle and give them the stickies that list the cheeses I like. I get a hunk of each and I'm on my merry way.

They don't list the cheddars on their site, but they have quite a few. And if you like olives, there's a huge selection of those as well. You can get taste samples of both.

bigjohnspfi

I know, not in Oregon, but something to think about for those visiting in the Seattle area. You would NOT want to take your tow and trailer to this store though. It's in a commercial area (near Tesla!) and their parking lot is quite tight and steep. There might be some street parking, but I wouldn't count on it. If you're camping in the area and exploring Seattle, keep this store in mind if you like cheese (and olives, which I detest so I can't recommend any for ya).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Anywhere on the west side of the Cascades looks damp for the next week or so. Stub Stewart is a nice park, especially if you are a bicyclist . Fort Stevens State Campground just west of Astoria is incredible. Also, on your way south I might suggest going west at Tillamook along the Three Capes drive and possibly spending a night at Cape Lookout State Park. If you do, plan to stop and checkout Cape Kiwanda to the south.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While in Tillamook, check out the Air Museum. It is in a huge wooden blimp hanger, one of the few left. Many of the airplanes still fly; the last time I was there they took 3 of them out for a ride.
Will look into that, thanks Jon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
How do people like the "other cheese factory" in Tillimook? Blue Heron?

Just googled/yelped it. Seems good for brie and some other choices that the main competitor might not have. Go go Jim!
More cheese, nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Anywhere on the west side of the Cascades looks damp for the next week or so. Stub Stewart is a nice park, especially if you are a bicyclist . Fort Stevens State Campground just west of Astoria is incredible. Also, on your way south I might suggest going west at Tillamook along the Three Capes drive and possibly spending a night at Cape Lookout State Park. If you do, plan to stop and checkout Cape Kiwanda to the south.
Wet is not a lot of fun, but we can still have fun nonetheless.

I will check into that park, could be a good possibility as we head our way south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
There are lots of Forest Service campgrounds on the south side of Mt Hood (Lost Lake is really pretty):

Mt. Hood National Forest - Camping & Cabins:RV Camping

Also, Don't know when you would get to the Oregon border south from Spokane but this COE campground is a little oasis. Just north of the Oregon border by Umatilla.

Facility Details - Plymouth Park, WA - Recreation.gov

If you are visiting Mt Hood, Timberline Lodge is worth a visit. Here are the campgrounds they list close by. Still Creek is supposed to be pretty or, if you want more amenities, there's always Mt Hood RV Village:

Mt Hood Camping | Mt Hood Hiking | Timberline Lodge

Have fun, Safe Journeys, see you next week!

Kathie
I just phoned, and the only Forest Service campground in the area of Mt Hood that is open is Lazy Bend Campground, not too convenient to Mt Hood itself, being over an hour away from the Timberline Lodge. Our friends in Sandy also suggested checking it out, and that the food there was good if we wanted a meal.

The Mt Hood Village RV Resort is open year round. At $49/night it certainly seems pricey though. Might be our only option though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Just for what it's worth, Jim, one of our favorite places to camp a little south of Portland is Champoeg (pronounced shampooey) State Park. They have ice and firewood at the sites, nice grassy areas, pads, and it is on the Willamette river, with nice dog friendly hiking trails. It used to be an old pioneer town, in fact the named street posts are still there. A lovely place.
Even though you may not be in the area a little east of Salem, another favorite area is Silver Falls where you can walk behind the waterfalls. Beautiful hiking and biking trails. That may be for another trip, nevertheless. Worth it.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
Just for what it's worth, Jim, one of our favorite places to camp a little south of Portland is Champoeg (pronounced shampooey) State Park. They have ice and firewood at the sites, nice grassy areas, pads, and it is on the Willamette river, with nice dog friendly hiking trails. It used to be an old pioneer town, in fact the named street posts are still there. A lovely place.
Even though you may not be in the area a little east of Salem, another favorite area is Silver Falls where you can walk behind the waterfalls. Beautiful hiking and biking trails. That may be for another trip, nevertheless. Worth it.
Bruce mentioned that too, plus I know I have heard of it elsewhere. Another consideration. Silver Falls does look nice too, maybe we will head up the Willamette Valley on the way home.

Man, I think I may need more than 3 weeks. I wanna do everthing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Where ever you stay in Oregon, they have, bar none, IMHO, the best, cleanest, most organized state parks anywhere. Have a great time!
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I am supposing that you are visiting Haystack Rock and area while at Nehalem. Can't miss that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Definitely making notes whether we go that way, or do it when we come back.

I will quite likely make it to another NOG. We both love the PNW, probably because there are many similarities to Western Canada. It will take many trips to check it all out. I have yet to spend time near the coast in Washington, and would love to do that some day too.

This is only my third trip camping along the coast in Oregon, and Nehalem is now the furthest north I have been. We were there in 1995 when our kids were smaller and we had a tent trailer. Back in 2009, on the inaugural run of our Escape 19. We also spent a week on the way down at Wallowa State Park, doing lots of exploring there, and loved it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I am supposing that you are visiting Haystack Rock and area while at Nehalem. Can't miss that!
No sure what that is, but I will certainly check it out, thanks for the tip.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can find Haystack Rock near pancakes and bacon.

Cannon Beach - Â*Pig 'N Pancake
Old 09-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You can find Haystack Rock near pancakes and bacon.

Cannon Beach - Â*Pig 'N Pancake
A fine combination.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #31

Quote:
I just phoned, and the only Forest Service campground in the area of Mt Hood that is open is Lazy Bend Campground, not too convenient to Mt Hood itself, being over an hour away from the Timberline Lodge. Our friends in Sandy also suggested checking it out, and that the food there was good if we wanted a meal.

The Mt Hood Village RV Resort is open year round. At $49/night it certainly seems pricey though. Might be our only option though.
Would have loved to stay at a Forest Service campground, but that Lazy Bend one was just too far from from Mt Hood for my liking for a short two night stay, so I did bite the bullet and got a couple nights at the Mt Hood Village RV Resort. It actually looks like it has some nice sites, plus there is a lot of availability so I should be able to pick something nice.

Going to have to stay at a few more Walmarts to make up for the price though.

So, now we are set from tomorrow morning, right through until Monday the 11th when we are leaving the NOG. Tomorrow night is at Kikumon Creek Provincial Park in BC SW of Fernie. This is the last night they are open for the year. We have stayed here a few times, nice campground, and great Kokanee fishing.

The next night Walmart in Spokane, two nights by Mt Hood, 5 nights at Nehalem, then on to further points south, but we are not going to likely firm up those plans until we get to Nehalem.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:37 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 19'
FYI. Beachside south of Waldport is booked. Got the last site mon-Thur following nog. I hear washburne is quite nice.
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
FYI. Beachside south of Waldport is booked. Got the last site mon-Thur following nog. I hear washburne is quite nice.
Maybe I should make plans now for after the NOG. Hmmm.....
Old 09-30-2016, 10:27 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Would have loved to stay at a Forest Service campground, but that Lazy Bend one was just too far from from Mt Hood for my liking for a short two night stay, so I did bite the bullet and got a couple nights at the Mt Hood Village RV Resort. It actually looks like it has some nice sites, plus there is a lot of availability so I should be able to pick something nice.
I've stayed there several times. If you get a choice of sites, check out the Cedar Ridge Loop. It's where all the Big Boys camp, the sites are pull-throughs and quiet. Besides, you'd probably be the only ones using the restrooms! If you don't want to cook, there's a nice restaurant that serves a good breakfast in the park too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:28 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Boy, have to say am not seeing anything great out there for your route Jim, which is unfortunate because we think Oregon has by far the best amount of great Forest Service campgrounds in the NW. Need to go a little more south. We checked into Tillicum south of Waldport and then left because it was a zoo to us. By accident(luck) while trying to find a boondock site we met a nice couple selling eggs on an acre that invited us to park at there place.
Attached Thumbnails
bock.jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #36

Or this at Newberry Vocanic NM- Little Crater campground on Paulina Lake. Nice hot springs around the corner to the right via kayak or 1 mile hike.
Attached Thumbnails
paulina.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 11:33 PM   #37

Best Beach in campground!

Found this south of Reedsport across the street from Wm. Tugman SP, which we also didn't like....hookup city with huge RV's. Also- this was $5.00 on the geezer pass; Tugman was $30 I think.
Edit: This area flows from a path behind our campsite- #8 I believe and is very private.

Click image for larger version

Name:	beachcamp.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	19069
Old 10-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Boy, have to say am not seeing anything great out there for your route Jim, which is unfortunate because we think Oregon has by far the best amount of great Forest Service campgrounds in the NW. Need to go a little more south. We checked into Tillicum south of Waldport and then left because it was a zoo to us. By accident(luck) while trying to find a boondock site we met a nice couple selling eggs on an acre that invited us to park at there place.
For us, not knowing an area very well at all, we are kinda bound by what we can easily find, but I do love exploring, and have found out of the way spots we really like, including some Forest Service Campgrounds. Trying to assess their merits on line is real difficult, as information is not very available. It took a phone call to them to find out all but one were closed near Mt Hood. Exploring and word of mouth seem to be the best way.

Nice to find folks that let you stay like that.
Quote:
Or this at Newberry Vocanic NM- Little Crater campground on Paulina Lake. Nice hot springs around the corner to the right via kayak or 1 mile hike.
I loves me a soak in hot springs. Will keep this one in mind. We will likely do our return trip north on an inland route.
Quote:
Found this south of Reedsport across the street from Wm. Tugman SP, which we also didn't like....hookup city with huge RV's. Also- this was $5.00 on the geezer pass; Tugman was $30 I think.
Edit: This area flows from a path behind our campsite- #8 I believe and is very private.
]
Not quite old enough to be a geezer, and regardless, being Canadian can't get the pass anyway.

We are taking off in a couple hours for the first leg of our trip, but will have a connectivity a fair bit and will be checking in. This is great getting ideas from others on here.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #39

Trailer: 2021 21C, 2019 Chevy Colorado V6
Lost Lake FS CG on ne side of Mt Hood one of my favorite places to camp. You can reach from Hood River. Oxbow Park on the Sandy River is another favorite which is east of Portland via Troutdale. For the north coast try Ft Stevens State Park. Central coast we like Beachside, Washburne, and Harbor Vista. The south coast favorites are Bullards Beach, Floras Lake, and Cape Blanco.
NellieFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellieFlower View Post
Lost Lake FS CG on ne side of Mt Hood one of my favorite places to camp. You can reach from Hood River. Oxbow Park on the Sandy River is another favorite which is east of Portland via Troutdale. For the north coast try Ft Stevens State Park. Central coast we like Beachside, Washburne, and Harbor Vista. The south coast favorites are Bullards Beach, Floras Lake, and Cape Blanco.
Lost Lake was one of the first I looked in to, unfortunately it is closed for the season. Thanks for your other suggestions too, will check then out.

We are pulling the pin in minutes here.