Oregon Trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #1

Oregon Trip

Last summer we were going to head down the Oregon Coast but a sick mother-in-law applied the breaks to the trip. Everything was booked. After spending a little time contemplating I found that my booked campsites were in some cases less than an hour apart. If you had 2 weeks to spend exploring the Oregon coast from top to bottom how many campsites would you choose to stay at and where would they be?
Greig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #2

Re: Oregon Trip

This won't help you choose campgrounds...... after picking up my new Escape 17 in February 2008 I drove down the OR coast coast and stayed at many of the state campgrounds and found all exceptionally nice, especially considering the low rates. It was way off season so no reservations were needed, none were crowded, if fact most were nearly M/T. When I crossed the border into CA the rates went way up and the accomodations went down! I almost turned back north again. Be aware that not all the state parks along the coast have camping.

Alan "Ace" Brown
Presently in Provo, UT
Ace Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

It has been 14 years since I have been in Oregon, but all that will change next Friday as I head there for just over 2 weeks. I totally agree with Allan on staying in the state parks there. They have excellent sites with great rates. I have booked all but the last 5 days in them. The first week I will be inland staying by Hells Canyon at Wallowa Lake State Park, and then it is off to the coast. On the coast I will be staying at Umpqua Lighthouse State Park, a real small but nice looking place. HERE is a list of the State Parks with campgrounds. I too would recommend reserving a spot from after the first week in June throughout the summer though. It was really easy to do online.

One thing I would highly recommend, is to minimize the places you stay at and explore an area from there. Last time I went down there I got too caught up with trying to see too much and moved campsites way too often. In the first 12 days of my 17 day trip, I will be staying in 3 places only, with 1 or 2 quick stops enroute because of distances traveled.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

As an Oregonian, I agree with Jim. Oregon has wonderful state parks... all over the state. You can drive the entire length of the state along the coast highway easily in one day. The parks at both north and south end will be the most crowded. Choose two or three parks and take day trips out from there.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

My sister and her husband who have a motorhome, really like staying at an rv park called Winchester Bay Marina. (Or maybe it is adjacent to the marina.) My sister says it is among the nicest of all the places they've stayed. It is below the town of Florence which is an interesting place to explore.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #6

Thank you for your input! So here is my plan, any advice is gratefully accepted. campground suggestions, 4 days camping around Astoria, 4 days camping around Florence, 4 days camping around Crescent City and then 3 days at Crater Lake then North from there taking about 5 days to get back to Alberta. Any suggestions for a must see, I enjoy photography, live music, and cold beer. Thanks.
Greig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Whew, all that sounds so NICE! Hope some of you blog your trips and let everyone else in on the fun!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greig
I enjoy photography, live music, and cold beer. Thanks.
Three things that I love too.
Part of my trip to Oregon is meeting up with about 25 other photographers from a Canon forum I am a member of.
Live music is always great, I will listen to most anything. I also take my guitar along, though not that great of a player.
Cold beer.....Well, don't need to say much here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #9

Last time I was at Crater Lake it was June and there were several feet of snow up top. The time before it was April, and there was not much snow. So you want to check ahead.

I know nothing about campng there, though.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

As Californians, we really appreciate and enjoy the great campgrounds on the Oregon coast. So far we've only stayed at Cape Blanco, Bullard's Beach and Sunset Bay; but hope to try many more of them in the coming years once we get our 19'.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita ... for now ...

Greig,
Crater Lake is worth seeing, but make reservations soon for Mazama campground. We went there after Bandon last July and the roads were open but there was still snow packs in areas for photography.
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #12

http://www.registerguard.com/web/ent...cket/index.csp Here is a link to entertainment in Eugene, which you may enjoy exploring also (minus Escape). It is approximately 45 miles from Florence to Eugene (going east), however it takes about an hour and the route is scenic. Since Eugene is a college town, there's a lot going on. The Saturday market downtown has lots of variety. In any event , sounds like a fun trip. Crater Lake is breathtaking and well worth the trip.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:53 AM   #13

http://www.holidaycheck.com/things_t...zid_42181.html This shows a very cute restaurant in Portland. I enjoyed my dinner a lot!
Sunny P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Quote:
Last time I was at Crater Lake it was June and there were several feet of snow up top. The time before it was April, and there was not much snow. So you want to check ahead.
Here is what it looks like on May 26, 2004:
Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #15

I understand late August and early September is the time to visit Crater Lake if one wants to avoid snow, and even then there are obviously no guarantees.
That said, I would highly recommend that you add ODOT to your "bookmarks" or "favorites" to keep an eye on weather and road conditions throughout your Oregon trip. ODOT is the Oregon Department of Transportation website and I have found it exceedingly helpful.