Porcupine Mountain State Park, MI - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Porcupine Mountain State Park, MI

Mary and I are hoping to get in our fall trip and are planning to head up to Porcupine Mountain State Park in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan later this week. (After our rather soaked spring trip to pick up "Blue" we are hoping for some dry weather!) Hopefully the fall colors will be on full display.

I will try to give a report back on the park, as I have not been there since somewhere around 1976 or so. If anyone is planning on being in the UP area during that time let us know and maybe we can plan a visit somewhere.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: Porcupine Mountain State Park, MI

We stayed in Union Bay Campground and really enjoyed it. It is quite a bit more open (fewer trees) and more typically an RV campground than the more primitive campgrounds we usually prefer, but makes up for that with the views of Lake Superior. The site we scored was wide and had an amazing view of the bay and we were only about 60 feet from the water. The bathroom and shower facilities were exceptionally clean. The main reason we picked Union Bay rather than one of the more primitive campgrounds was that we knew the weather was going to be cold and all the sites at Union Bay have electricity.

Hiking in the Porkies is amazing this time of year with the fall colors in full bloom. Here are some pictures: http://tinyurl.com/2ctz82z - sorry there are so many, I need to edit it yet.

Most of the trails are what you would expect in a state park with Wilderness as part of its name, some steep grades and natural terrain. But they are well marked and usually have boards over the wettest places.

An interesting side note - the place was like a fiberglass egg convention. While we were there we saw 4 or 5 Scamp 13', 2 Casitas and even an old restored Boler. We gave about 5 tours of our 17B and one couple with a Scamp 13 said after seeing ours that they are going to start an Escape savings account.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote