Portland Oregon and Mount Hood - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Portland Oregon and Mount Hood

So it looks like our next destination will be Oregon. I'm hoping for suggestions for camping near Portland and Mount Hood and other recommendations for the state. We don't know for sure when we'll get there -- sometime next summer

Ruth
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Here's some suggestions.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...d-or-4995.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
We have stayed at two locations in the area. On the Columbia River at Cascade Locks the lock company operates a very small campground between the railroad tracks and their locks. Trains were hardly noticeable and depending on the season the locks provide some entertainment. When we were there the fisherman (?) were snagging fish as they swam up stream, a big hoot if they got a salmon, most were a rough fish of some sort.

Closer to Mt Hood, south of the City of Hood River off of Highway 35 is a county park called TollBridge Park, nothing fancy but very adequate. We had a beautiful site right along the shore of the Hood River, just a bit larger than a brook at that point.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's a gazillion/million places between east Portland and Mt. Hood. It really depends on your needs/wants. The Columbia River Gorge is wonderful... but the trains drive me NUTZ (YMMV). There's a terrific Resort (Mt. Hood RV Resort) to boondocking to "unimproved" campsites. And everything is weather dependent. OMG, when the rains come... you are going to get either soggy or snow.

Give me more info about timing and I'll give you my best opinion.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Thanks for the responses. Donna, I am thinking June and/or July. We'll be meeting up with our son from Montana and his girlfriend who is living in Portland. I imagine we'll want a campground fairly close to Portland for a short while and then we'll want to go to somewhere beautiful. (not that Portland won't be beautiful) We'll have kayaks and we like to swim. They will have a tent (no one sleeps in the trailer b ut us!) and while hookups are nice, they are not required. I just ordered a Moon Oregon Campin book, but first hand experiences are very important.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
There are so many great campgrounds near Mt. Hood it is hard to describe. Our favorites within 1 1/2 hours of Portland are Trillium Lake, Timothy Lake, Lost Lake. All would be great for your kayaks. Timothy Lake is pretty big and also good for sailing. There is a boat speed limit (5mph?) which most people obey. I would definitely check on availability as most sites are filled for the weekends. If possible we reserve months in advance using recreation.gov or reserveamerica. For state parks we use State of Oregon: Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: State Parks.

Good luck! Summer in the Pacific Northwest is simply the best!

Eric
Old 01-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's a gazillion/million places between east Portland and Mt. Hood. It really depends on your needs/wants. The Columbia River Gorge is wonderful... but the trains drive me NUTZ (YMMV).
Waddya mean? That's the reason to go there !

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:03 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'
Crater Lake, Bend area. Don't forget the Oregon coast.
Cmellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #9
Site Team

Ruthe, if you're looking for more of a camping experience close to Portland, try: Welcome to Sandy Riverfront RV Resort!

If you like trains, any state campground along the Columbia River would work for you. On Mt. Hood, Lost Lake is wonderful!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Crater Lake is a must, if you have never been. The Wizard Falls Fish Hatchery on the Metolius River near the city of Sisters is a nice pull off for a picnic lunch. Highly suggest you stopping in if you are driving by it. So many great options in Oregon, all depends which way you drive into Portlandia.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
Site Team

If you come all the way from "Jersey" in July and don't plan (reservations) to attend the Oregon Gathering... you'll really miss out. Folks you've talked to on the forums will be attending and you may never pass this way again....