Radium, Revelstoke, Ainsworth and Fairmont Hot Springs - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In central Alberta in the summer, I don't think anyone would consider leaving windows open in a house without screens, due to mosquitoes; however, the number of mosquitoes varies greatly by location and even week-to-week, depending on available open still water for breeding. I find all the other bugs irrelevant compared to the mosquitoes.

Baglo has a good point: each of these two provinces has a wide range of very dissimilar geographic areas, from desert to rainforest, flat prairie to high mountains, open grasslands to dense forest...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
The area I'm most concerned about is the hot springs, Yoho, Glacier, Waterton and Kootenay
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In parts of Oregon, we have mosquitoes that are big enough to haul off small pets and children! However, mosquitoes don't fly if there's a breeze. We hope to always have a bit of wind at the Oregon Gathering for this very reason. I have several "clamp" fans, those with about a 6" diameter blades. You only need to move the air, not create a hurricane to keep mosquitoes away.

I've never needed a screen room in Oregon as long as I've got a fan or two going. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #24

Thanks for the reminder Donna!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' (and used to have a 17b)
The Rockies and Kootenay mountains are quite steep, fast moving creeks and rivers, and little flatland with standing /stagnant water. Therefore very few bugs. Not to say there aren't any...but throw another log on the fire and get a bit of smoke, and you'll be okay.
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
We live in the southern part of the Columbia valley( East Kootenays) Black flies don't seem to be much of a problem. Last year was a bad wasp year which is unusual. I have been bitten by noseeums when camping near stagnant water,(had 200+ bites a few years ago camping near a marshy area in the Purcell mountain range)but in most areas they aren't a problem. Mosquitoes can be bad depending on how wet our spring is. Nothing that some good bug repellent won't take care of. The problem I had with noseeums is not feeling them biting until too late, and then the wounds get worse over the next few days. We always carry a Benadryl dobber in the trailer to relieve any bug bites. Good luck with the plans.
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 15A
We were camping in Jasper one summer and the mosquitoes were not bad in the camp site and the town areas. Went for a hike into an area west on Hwy 16 where there are a couple of small lakes and the mosquitoes ate us alive.

A similar thing happened the next summer on a bike ride we went on in Jasper. Unfortunately we got into a flatter wet area and once again the mosquitoes came out for a feast. There was no escape except to keep peddling until we could get back out into the open where it was drier and no mosquitoes, or very few.

We do love Jasper and keep going back there and deal with mosquitoes, if present, when we get there. The same mosquito conditions can happen in most areas of BC and Alberta.

As previously noted in other posts, it all depends on the timing and weather conditions. No guarantees on mosquito populations during the summer.

There are far less mosquito issues along the BC coast probably because of the salt water and winds. Inland it can be a test of endurance at times if you hit the hatches at the wrong/right time!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #28

I notice that Redstreak Campground in Kootenay takes reservations. Are there some months where reservations wouldn't be necessary -- May or June, or September?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I notice that Redstreak Campground in Kootenay takes reservations. Are there some months where reservations wouldn't be necessary -- May or June, or September?
Reservations are usually only needed for the May long weekend ( 3 monday in May ) and then July and August . They could get quite full that last week of June , but that may depend on the day school is out .
Actually have never known them to be completely full , it is a very large park , it is the choice spots with full hook-ups in the F and H sections that usually fill up when they are very busy .
Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #30

Thanks Gabeck. I'm trying to coordinate lots of family and don't know our exact dates. Besides that we always like to be able to get there when we get there.

Does anyone have a favorite spot to camp there?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #31

You want adventure, in a hot spring
Drive the Alaska highway to the Yukon and Alaska.
Park in the provincial campsite and walk the two miles into the Liard Hot Springs, all natural, actually they have gone modern they have change rooms and an outhouse. You will have to keep an eye out for moose and bears, they like it as well. It has been a few years since anyone was killed by a bear hiking in to the pools.
There are three pools, boiling eggs hot, just bloody hot, and warmer.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #32

Funny you should mention that Doug. I was looking at the map and thinking maybe next time we should head toward Alaska. Two of our kids have spent time there -- one of them actually worked in a hot springs -- Nice to know that no one has been eaten by a bear recently.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17B 2007
I've been camping in the Fairmont/ Radium area since I was a kid and my favourite campground is Fairmont Hot Springs. Its a real quick walk to the pools that have a great view of the mountains and the swimming pool is warm all year and the hot pool is always hot too. The sites vary from power and water to deluxe with cable, pavement and grass. Its also nice to be able to walk to the hotel for dinner or drinks!
smalach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #34

Trailer: 5.0
Ruth, try out Lussier hot springs near White Swan provincial park. Leave your trailer at Norbury park or the one across from Fort Steele and drive a bit north to the White Swan turn off. It is not far in from the highway and a bit of a scramble down the hill. It's free and was set up by users. It's delightful.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #35

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Sounds wonderful !
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #36

Thank you! We'll be driving to Banff and could stop off at Revelstoke or take the alternative route that would take us by White Swan Provincial Park and/or Fairmont Hot Springs. I was wanting experience hot springs without chlorine and had just about given up on that idea.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 17B 2007
NoChlorine

There are natural hot springs at Fairmont - on the top of the hill above the r.v. park office and south of that at White Swan.
smalach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I also enjoyed Lussier hot springs when we were there. Here is a photo I found online.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #39

Great photo! I've bookmarked this page so we can study it en route.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Great photo! I've bookmarked this page so we can study it en route.
By the way, the river in front of the hot springs in the photo is glacier fed and extremely cold. It is quite a shock to sit in the very hot "hot spring" water and then cool off by dipping in the river.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote