Radium, Revelstoke, Ainsworth and Fairmont Hot Springs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Radium, Revelstoke, Ainsworth and Fairmont Hot Springs

I'm looking for campground recommendations for the hot springs that are in the general area of the loop made up of 97,95, 93 and 3 in British Columbia. It seems like there are a lot of hot springs and I'm wondering what people's experiences have been.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17B
I have not been there in a few years but Redstreak in Radium is an awesome spot.

Parks Canada - Kootenay National Park - Redstreak Campground

You might want to check out Lake Louise and Banff and Jasper too.

They have hot pools in Banff and Jasper ( Miette in Jasper is my favorite)
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Hi....Radium -highly recommend Red Streak , up on the hill overlooking Radium , with a walking trail to the springs , no hook-ups to full hook- ups ... Near Revelstoke , there is Halcyon Hot springs full hook-up on the resort , beautiful views , Ainsworth , our choice would be the Marina just north of the Hot Springs .
Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Hi....Radium -highly recommend Red Streak , up on the hill overlooking Radium , with a walking trail to the springs , no hook-ups to full hook- ups ... Near Revelstoke , there is Halcyon Hot springs full hook-up on the resort , beautiful views , Ainsworth , our choice would be the Marina just north of the Hot Springs .
There is also a full service campground below the Nakusp Hot Springs ... That loop is a beautiful drive , and if you like hot springs at all , they are all a little different ( from each other ).
Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #5

Thanks -- this is what I need. I've seen some of these places mentioned on line, but it's good to know what people think. We were thinking of just doing a hot spring tour until we get tired of it.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Thanks -- this is what I need. I've seen some of these places mentioned on line, but it's good to know what people think. We were thinking of just doing a hot spring tour until we get tired of it.
Not sure one can get tired of that !
Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #7

Gabeck? Is the campground below Nakusp private?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Gabeck? Is the campground below Nakusp private?
Hi , not really sure about that , we thought that the Nakusp hot springs and creek side camp grounds were serviced by the town of Nakusp . We have been up in those springs and actually found them too hot . When the weather is warm and sunny , it is especially hot , there is "glass " fencing ( or wind sheltering ) . We have hiked around there but not camped at the Creekside rv park - we have always stayed at Halcyon . Love the lake access and the way the Halcyon hot springs overlook the lake . Nakusp andHalcyon are maybe 15 - 20 minutes apart .
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Thanks We were thinking of just doing a hot spring tour until we get tired of it.
In that case you could start at Harrison Hot Springs, about 15 minutes from Escape.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 15A
Hot Springs Plus
If you like hiking there is a great one to do out of the parking lot at Miette Hot Springs in Jasper area. The hike is called Sulpher Skyline. Moderate hike with an incredible view when you get to the top. End the hike with a soak in the springs when you get back down.

Sulpher Skyline near Jasper, AB - a hiking trail

And of course there is some incredible mountain scenery to enjoy as you travel from one hot spring to the next.

Another natural hot spring to add to this list is one that has been mentioned in other posts on this site. It is Lussier in Whiteswan Lake Park to the south of Fairmount Hot Springs. I don't believe there are camping areas near the springs but short drive from Fairmount or Radium areas.

Hot Springs Around Invermere

There is another camping option in the Radium area. It is Dry Gulch, part of the BC Provincial Park system. Quite different from Red Streak. I think you need to purchase a daily National Park pass to camp at Red Streak? Those who frequent the Canadian National Parks usually buy a yearly pass which cuts down the cost a lot. You would also need the pass to camp in the Jasper and Banff area. I think about 7 day visit would equate to a yearly pass cost?

A bit further south of Fairmount is Premier Lake, another BC Provincial Park site.

Dry Gulch Provincial Park - BC Parks

http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/tarifs-fees...e_E.asp?park=3

All this discussion of hot springs makes one forget about the cold weather outside. Well sort of forget!!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #11

Fairmount Hot Springs also has a very convenient rv park . Lussier has no camping , there are several natural completely undeveloped smallish pools between the rocks ( no facilities for changing/showering ), one would not want to take a trailer up there.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
.There is a forestry campground just past lussier hot springs on the same gravel road. Also lots of images if you google it. I live 45 minutes from there in Kimberley B.C. and have soaked many times in the pools. Summer and ski season get quite busy, but the shoulder seasons aren't too bad. I've never used the campgrounds but I believe gravel sites with pit toilets is about all that's there. If you google whiteswan lake provincial park you will get info on camping and the hot springs.
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #13

Trailer: Looking for 15b
If you end up near Nakusp , Summit lake provincial park is a nice spot. No reservations, nice swimming beach and good for kayaking. No hook ups but flush toilets.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Hi Ruthe,

FWIW... Banff & Miette are sulphur pools (a.k.a. Stinky) smell like a rotten egg when one comes out...

Radium, on the other hand is not... priceless...

Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #15

Wow -- this is great. I'm compiling a list that I'll share when I figure out the best way to do it.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
We have enjoyed Ainsworth Hot Springs but lacking an Escape have stayed in hotels - anyone have suggestions? There is a cave that is quite fun and an outdoor pool.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' (and used to have a 17b)
Hi Ruthe: Great trip. The drive from Revelstoke to Nelson is one of the most spectacular in British Columbia. Three hot springs. South of Revelstoke on the way to Nakusp, you can camp at Blanket Creek Provincial Park on the Arrow Lakes (Columbia River). Then there is a spectacular free ferry ride across the lake. Continuing south to Nakusp, you’ll come to Halcyon Hot Springs. I haven’t camped there, but the hot spring pools are nice and they have a campground. At Nakusp, there is a municipal campground if you wish to stay in town (goggle Village of Nakusp) and there is a small campground right at Nakusp Hot Springs (also operated by the Village). Heading south on Highway 6 to New Denver, there is camping both at Summit Lake Provincial Park (great little park on the lake) and Roseberry Provincial Park. At New Denver, take highway 31A to Kaslo and then to Ainsworth Hot Springs. There is camping at the Village of Kaslo municipal campground, and at Woodbury Marina, or you can continue on to Kootenay lake Provincial Park or Kokanne Creek Provincial Park. The provincial parks can all be found by googling BC Parks. Takes about two hours to drive from Nakusp to Ainsworth.
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #18

Just in case you need more convincing that the hot springs are deliciously inviting , here are 3 photos Banff/Radium/Halcyon ……. Banff is the smallest and will only be that empty first thing in the morning ….. Halcyon has two hot pools different temperatures ,plus cold plunge and a swimming pool on a lower level , most romantic location ….. Radium by far the largest - just beautiful - also has a large swimming pool …. wish we could be there now ….
Attached Thumbnails
2010 183.jpg   IMGP0599.JPG   Fairmount Radium 2006 030.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #19

We just "camped" in a NYC hotel overnight and I'm just now able to really read all these posts. Our trip is taking shape. I'm afraid to ask this next question but is the insect population in British Columbia and Alberta in June July and August challenging? In the east we have non-biting but irritating black flies, biting huge flies and then mosquitoes. How is it out west?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Pretty much not a problem, but it really depends where you are. Terrain in BC and Alberta varies widely. We almost never have mosquitoes in my back yard in North Vancouver, but at my parents house on Chilliwack mountain you have to stay in the house most of the time.
For the most part, not a problem, which is why I've only used my screen room once ( so I could take pix of it for the forum ).