Recreation.gov - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Recreation.gov

2nd hand info...

Just read a post on another forum from someone working at a COE campground. They are being trained to changeover to Recreation.gov for all reservations as of 10/1. Says all federal CG's will be recreation.gov from now on.

If you currently have non recreation.gov reservations for the week of 10/1 you might want to take along the printed receipt.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Coe

All of the COE campgrounds we camp at switched over to recreation.gov about three years ago.

It is my understanding that on 10/1/2018 recreation.gov is switching to either new software / processor or both. I talked with an officer at the COE in May and he mentioned the switch.... I just can’t remember the specifics. The switch should be transparent to users.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
COE ? not familiar with that TLA (three letter acronym).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Corp of Engineers, as in Dams.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
COE ? not familiar with that TLA (three letter acronym).
Corp of Engineers
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
US Army Corp. of Engineers. It’s a federal agency under the Department of Defense. They actually have some of the nicest campgrounds. The Mississippi River Rendezvous held next weekend will be at a COE facility.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
ah. googled them, out west here, they all seem to be lake/boating oriented campgrounds.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
BLM or BLR

We've noticed that as you head farther west, there are fewer COE campgrounds and more Bureau of Land Management or Bureau of Land Reclamation campgrounds.

Not sure why this would vary so much around the country.

Agree that these can be some of the best sites, especially with the federal geezer pass.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
In Iowa the Corp of engineers facilities were built for flood control in most cases. The recreation component then became part of their mission as the reservoirs created had hunting and fishing opportunities. The camping boom soon followed. Now they have bird blinds, disc golf courses, hiking trails, equestrian facilities and many other forms of recreation.
I studied all this in collidge.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had an uncle who participated in the CCC prior to WWII working on federal lands building dams, roads, and cabins for the national parks and other public use areas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civili...ervation_Corps
Not sure if he ever made it to the Mississippi....six degrees of separation or something...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation
Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ccc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had an uncle who participated in the CCC prior to WWII working on federal lands building dams, roads, and cabins for the national parks and other public use areas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civili...ervation_Corps
Not sure if he ever made it to the Mississippi....six degrees of separation or something...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation
While there were CCC camps in many states, some states had more emphasis than others. Before the CCC, states were encouraged to have “ shovel ready” plans for public works projects. Not every state had done this in a complete project fashion when the program was enacted. Consequently the states that were ready, got the early funding. Iowa was one of the states that was ready. So there were quite a number of camps in Iowa with many state park projects being built. My uncle George was in the camp at Guttenburg Iowa. We have a CCC museum at Backbone State Park near Strawberry Point. that’s open on the weekends in the summer and by appointment. Two state parks near us had a number of nice projects. About 20 years ago the state spent several million dollars a year for a few years to rebuild some of these sites. Pokagon State Park in Indiana near Angola has some of the finest fieldstone work I’ve ever seen. In Iowa most all of the Stone work was in limestone.
Programs like this have been attempted since ( like the job corps) but success has never been achieved to the degree it was in the 30s. It’s a largely forgotten part of our history just like the WPA and many of the other alphabet soup programs. As Alabama sings in Song of the South,” Daddy got a job with the TVA, he bought a washing machine and a Chevrolet.”
Iowa “ off in my own world” Dave
Old 09-24-2018, 06:07 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I sensed we had a common ancestry background, i.e. perhaps my uncle met/knew your uncle around the campfire, based upon some of our common culinary tastes, i.e. Spam, scrapple, and poutine plus my fond memories of IOWA. Have a good one, second cuz, once removed, Iowa Dave!