Ruby Mountains, NV - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Ruby Mountains, NV

We had a very pleasant trip to the Ruby Mountains (near Elko) in NV. We stayed at Thomas Creek campground (no hook-ups) and would recommend it. Campground was quiet, although we could hear occassional road noise in our site (A8). Restrooms were very clean (vault) and water was available. Hosts were friendly and very helpful. We enjoyed several hikes in the very alpine mountains--although there was still a fair amount of snow (last week in June). Temperatures were hot during the day (80-90s F), but cooled off nicely at night. Highly recommended!

Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sounds nice, stuck here in 93 temps and 93% humidity, that is the killer, liquid air.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Sounds like a nice spot, and thanks for the recommendation. Any photos you can share?

Also, any other recommendations for similar (non-commercial / boondocking) sites near your home area? We're heading to your corner of Utah or your half (eastern) of Utah later this fall. Waterpocket Fold area generally but "wherever our noses take us"!

Want to visit some of the backroads, particularly Burr Trail (sans Escape, I hear that's not recommended!)

Happy travels.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
thanks for the trip report, its a big time bucket list item for me! Good Basque food nearby in Elko.

Greg
Old 07-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
Sounds like a nice spot, and thanks for the recommendation. Any photos you can share?

Also, any other recommendations for similar (non-commercial / boondocking) sites near your home area? We're heading to your corner of Utah or your half (eastern) of Utah later this fall. Waterpocket Fold area generally but "wherever our noses take us"!

Want to visit some of the backroads, particularly Burr Trail (sans Escape, I hear that's not recommended!)

Happy travels.
Kodachrome State Park.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Kodachrome State Park.
Thanks -- it's already on the list! Been there before a few times, worth another visit. Not reserving, going to take our chances, we're way too unstructured / way too spontaneous to do anything but.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post

Happy travels.
There are a couple of interesting places for hikes & photography in the area around Natural Bridges National Monument on UT 95. (Some photos from my visit to the monument) About 20 miles east (towards Blanding) is the South Fork of Mule Canyon, The House on Fire ruin is about 1 1/2 miles up the canyon (easy hike) with more ruins further up the canyon.

Another interesting hike is to Fallen Roof Ruin on Cigarette Springs road, about 15 miles south of the junction of UT 95 & UT 261 (If you continue down UT 261 you will come to the Moki Dugway, an interesting drive down the side of a mountain. I wouldn't haul my trailer down the Dugway, but many have. Too washboarded for me. If you go, drive out to Muley Point, a right hand turn onto a dirt road at the top of the Dugway; the view at the end is wonderful.)

The hike to the Fallen Roof Ruin is a bit more difficult than Mule Canyon, but it is an interesting ruin.
Attached Thumbnails
ASD_0133.jpg   _DSC2332.jpg  
Old 07-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #8

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Natural Bridges National Monument
We discovered Natural Bridges in our meanderings a few years ago, but it was at the end of a trip -- we'd come down Waterpocket Fold aka Notom Bullfrog road -- and we were out of time so we had to put it on the bucket list for future trips, and boogie home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Moki Dugway, an interesting drive down the side of a mountain. I wouldn't haul my trailer down the Dugway
I pulled our Boler 13 down it, without qualms. Admittedly, the Boler is a lot smaller & lighter than even our Escape 17, but I'd still have no qualms about taking it either up or down. I find the scary stories about the Dugway (and similar roads) perhaps a bit overblown, and wonder about the cautions against taking our trailers on other roads -- e.g. Ebbetts Pass Scenic Byway (NV/CA), which is also on my bucket list.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19
This was my field trip in 2012. I will begin my adventures in Elko in August 2017. Best wishes always.
http://daysofnightsorg.ipage.com/wp-...-Valley.10.jpg
https://daysofnights.org
johnwarrensimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #10

Trailer: oliver
just had to comment on John and cpa

John, I am always amazed to read your comments. As the song goes you have been everywhere and to do it at a your age in retirement makes me jealous. Good for you! CPA, its beyond hot in St Louis. Call it dry heat or humidity its still hot. I suppose it is more my age then the heat sucks to get old. Still tying to decide between an oliver or escape trailer but the decision to buy one or the other is people on the forum. Safe travels!
kevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What ever you get, get a/c, it is doctor recommended for those over 50.......