September trip to Okanagan Lake Provincial Park - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
bvansnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Posts: 431
September trip to Okanagan Lake Provincial Park

Just returned from a great four night stay in Okanagan Lake Provincial Park. Things we enjoyed:
  • Wonderful full moon
  • Lots of colour from blooming sage and sumac
  • Pleasant temperatures
  • Plenty of campsites available
  • Generally dry, with a touch of rain which freshened everything up

We had enough sunshine for our solar system to keep the battery fully charged, and the recent water pump silencing modification worked pretty well. Altogether a nice trip.

More photos here: Okanagan Lake Campsite Sept 2013 - a set on Flickr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP6953sm.jpg (300.3 KB, 30 views)
__________________

__________________
Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
SpokanEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Olympia, Washington
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Posts: 461
Lovely pictures Brian!
__________________

__________________
Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
amirie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Posts: 749
As usual great pictures.. Always so nice to see.
__________________
Anna-Marie
amirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bvansnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Posts: 431
Thank you Jan and Paul and Anna-Marie!
__________________
Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,159
Nice shots Brian.

We have not been to that site since the kids were little, about 20 years ago. It was so darn hot, we were glad to have a site beside the lake where we could dip every once in a while. When going through Osoyoos on that trip, it was 42°C.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,288
Nice pictures! Brian, did you stay in the North or South campground? We spent 4 nights in July at the South campground. We liked the CG and the whether was nice and hot, but July was really really busy. The campground operators seemed to have no interest in following rules relative to numbers of tents or vehicles on each site.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern, Maryland
Trailer: 2014 21'
Posts: 249
As a fellow photog, loved your photos. Took a look at the Port Towsend set (very nice) as we will be stopping there after we pick up our Escape from Tammy and Reace.

Vella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
Just returned from a great four night stay in Okanagan Lake Provincial Park. Things we enjoyed:
  • Wonderful full moon
  • Lots of colour from blooming sage and sumac
  • Pleasant temperatures
  • Plenty of campsites available
  • Generally dry, with a touch of rain which freshened everything up
We had enough sunshine for our solar system to keep the battery fully charged, and the recent water pump silencing modification worked pretty well. Altogether a nice trip.

More photos here: Okanagan Lake Campsite Sept 2013 - a set on Flickr
__________________
Vella, Glenn, and Abigail
Escape 21
abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
bvansnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Nice pictures! Brian, did you stay in the North or South campground? We spent 4 nights in July at the South campground. We liked the CG and the whether was nice and hot, but July was really really busy. The campground operators seemed to have no interest in following rules relative to numbers of tents or vehicles on each site.
Dave

Thanks. We were in the north campground, which has widely spaced sites on rows at different elevations running up from the lake. The south campground has closely spaced sites on level ground beside the lake, with some sites with their own beach. When we were there the south campground was about 75% full while the north campground was perhaps 25% full. We much prefer the north campground.
__________________
Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bvansnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
As a fellow photog, loved your photos. Took a look at the Port Towsend set (very nice) as we will be stopping there after we pick up our Escape from Tammy and Reace.

Vella
Vella

Wow! Coming all the way from Maryland to pick up your Escape?

Port Townsend is one of our favourite places to visit. There are many beautiful old buildings and an active historical society, many interesting shops and unique businesses (for example a world-class violin bow maker!). A very active artistic community. The wonderful Wooden Boat Foundation. Easy access from Whidbey Island on the Coupeville - Port Townsend ferry or by road from the south. We have usually camped at one of several excellent state parks on Whidbey Island (Fort Casey, Fort Ebey, Deception Pass) or near Bay View near Mount Vernon and taken a day trip to Port Townsend. There is lots to see on Whidbey Island also, and we have been there often.
__________________
Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Sandra L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Antelope, California
Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Posts: 1,523
Thanks again Brian for the great pictures!
__________________
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
amirie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Posts: 749
Thanks for the north campground tip.

I think one night will be spent there after the rally in June.
We will head farther up closer to Kelowna after that because we want to do some of the "Kettle Valley" trails on our bikes..
__________________
Anna-Marie
amirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
JohnB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 15A
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
Thanks for the north campground tip.

I think one night will be spent there after the rally in June.
We will head farther up closer to Kelowna after that because we want to do some of the "Kettle Valley" trails on our bikes..
After the rally last June we camped at Bear Creek, Kelowna, and one night at OK North. Would have camped longer at OK North but it was fully booked on the weekend - was not expecting that in mid June. If you want to be there for a weekend in mid June make sure you have a reservation - mid week you can probably get in without the reservation I expect.

We too rode the KVR while there. Completed the section from Penticton to Chute Lake in three outings. Had to do out and backs as we did not have any assist vehicles to position at start and end of the rides, therefore about 90 km in total. Big advantage of June is the temperatures are great for biking and the views are just as awesome. The Naramata area is incredible and you can continue wine tasting after the Osoyoos area if desired.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
amirie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Posts: 749
I think we are going to drive up to "Myra Station" and then the bike route is only 12 km out and back.
We just have small folding bikes which ride in the back of our vehicle and we have done a 12 mile loop in Wenatchee with them. easy to transport and good enough for the riding we usually do.

Think we'll spend the Sunday night in Okanogan North (just to cross another campground off our list) or maybe one night at OK Falls and do the bit of ride around there, then on to OK North, then Bear Creek for a few nights...
As soon as my holidays are approved and timing is right to book campgrounds we will...
__________________
Anna-Marie
amirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
bvansnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Nice shots Brian.

We have not been to that site since the kids were little, about 20 years ago. It was so darn hot, we were glad to have a site beside the lake where we could dip every once in a while. When going through Osoyoos on that trip, it was 42°C.
Jim

For the last few years we have camped at either Haynes Point Provincial Park or Okanagan Lake Provincial Park just before the Escape Rally in Osoyoos. It would be a good idea to be ready to book your reservation when the service opens on March 15. Mark it in your calendar! Know which site you want and have your browser open and your finger poised as soon as reservations open -- usually 7:00 AM.

Haynes Point is exceptional that most sites are right on the lake and there is a wonderful wetland at the west end of the park with all kinds of birds. It is our all time favourite campsite in all of BC.
__________________
Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
JohnB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2012 15A
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
I think we are going to drive up to "Myra Station" and then the bike route is only 12 km out and back.

The KVR section going north out of Penticton is really quite nice and easy ride if you have not already done that. It is really easy to access and goes through orchard and vineyards as it heads to Naramata. We did a 10 km out and back from Penticton and really enjoyed it. There are a couple of other access points and parking lots not far out of Penticton.
The drive up to Myra can be a bit rough at times, washboard, but the trestles and tunnels are worth it.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
Jim

For the last few years we have camped at either Haynes Point Provincial Park or Okanagan Lake Provincial Park just before the Escape Rally in Osoyoos. It would be a good idea to be ready to book your reservation when the service opens on March 15. Mark it in your calendar! Know which site you want and have your browser open and your finger poised as soon as reservations open -- usually 7:00 AM.

Haynes Point is exceptional that most sites are right on the lake and there is a wonderful wetland at the west end of the park with all kinds of birds. It is our all time favourite campsite in all of BC.
I have only driven through Haynes Point. It does look very nice, although was quite windy when we were there. It was the first year of the rally in Osoyoos, and you had told me about the wetlands.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×