Suggestions for the Dempster? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Old 11-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
Re: Suggestions for the Dempster?

What a difference a year makes. Miles and miles of washboard, pavement that didn,t exist, pavement that was broken and rutted, bare rocks, very narrow sections. The balance is just poorly kept gravel road. I'm originally from Newfoundland and have travelled on gravel & construction roads in Labrador, but Top of the World takes the cake.......but it wasn't sweet. Enough said....we had a great trip....enjoyed every daylight minute.

06 4L V6 Montana
17B      Escapei
PEI peapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #12

It's all about the difference a rain makes - I went in on the Dempster and it was great (even took the Escape to Eagle Plains) - but it rained the night I was in Inuvik, and the road out was miserable. Brand new and rather large pot holes, massive unavoidable deep slippery mud sections - it was nuts! (but absolutely beautiful and I would do it again in a heartbeat).

17' Plan A, '05 Nissan Frontier, canoe, dog.
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #13

I like adventure travel! Thanks for very nice discussions!
cunghuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #14

I drove the Dempster early September, 1997 in an ex-rental Elite camper van. Went very slowly to make it to Eagle Plains (340 kms) on a single tank of gas. Found lots of Territorial campgrounds enroute, some with grizzly bear warnings, passed lots of cyclists and saw the tundra turn red and the aspens and cottonwoods turn gold. The highway had been recently graded and was fine, and I didn't have a single flat on the whole trip.

The Top of the World was a piece of cake in comparison, and ironically the Canadian side was well paved and maintained and the Alaskan side was gravel. Arrived at Chicken, AK the first day of moose hunting season and was invited to a barbeque by an extended Alaskan family ( everyone from granny to a six year old). They were all off to shoot their one moose limit, all 14 of them. I think I now understand Sarah Palin a little better.

I would love to drive to Inuvik again with my 17' Escape. Just go slow, and if you go in late summer there are no bugs and the scenery glows. I took five days to get to Inuvik and loved every minute.

rb5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #15

My wife did this trip in a westphalia and before leaving Whitehorse she was told that Dempster is the reason they invented planes! She thought they were kidding, but after 5 flats and two new tires ,,,and a divorce,,,she knew they were not kidding. Once you take the turn off on the Dempster there is one hotel/campsite, before Inuvik,,They woke up at 3 am to see a grizzly looking down into the van . If you must go,,,FLY.

Do Top of the World Hwy to tok Alaska and back through Beaver Creek,,,way nicer. If you do go to Inuvik, she wants to her your story and how you survived. Good luck,,,you will need it! She is on the floor laughing.

He who laughs,,,,,,,,,,,,,lasts.
Moeniac is offline   Reply With Quote