Thousand Islands - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thousand Islands

I know us easterners are in the minority here but I'm looking for favorite campgrounds and things to do in the Thousand Islands for late Sept., prefer State/Provincial parks, hookups are not necessary.

Can anyone tell me the difference between US and CA public campgrounds in the area? The only thing I've found is that provincial parks are more $.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I'm glad you started this thread. We have reservations at Wellesley Island State Park next summer. Our sites are right on the river but I don't know much about the area outside the park -- it came highly recommended.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I know us easterners are in the minority here but I'm looking for favorite campgrounds and things to do in the Thousand Islands for late Sept., prefer State/Provincial parks, hookups are not necessary.

Can anyone tell me the difference between US and CA public campgrounds in the area? The only thing I've found is that provincial parks are more $.
Hi: padlin... We love NY. State Pks. Wellesley Island is huge... but a toll charge to get back into. Grass Point is small but very nice. Both at the bridge crossing the river. Most close in early Oct. You must visit Fineview NY... Much like Key West Fl.
Yes it's all about the price too.
Pic's from Wellesley Island. Nice walk from our site!!! "Sittin' on a rock of the bay". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020101.jpg   P1020131.jpg   P1020137.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:

I too am really glad you started this thread. I'm very solidly West Coast and have traveled (before my trailer days) all over the West Coast .... but also have a strong interest in finding out more about the East Coast. For one thing, my family is Scottish and we still have annual Clan gatherings. I'm not sure which but one year we gather in Scotland and the following year in Nova Scotia .... 3,000 Scots with my same name show up. I wanna go and see if anyone looks like me.

Any way a trip through the North East States and Canadian Provinces is in the planning stages (somewhere). The more I can find out the better. I'm watching and taking notes.

Thank you again Bob for starting this thread.

Tom
Old 04-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The two area state parks I've stayed at are the Robert Moses State Park & further south along Route 3, Southwick Beach State Park. Both were electric only hookups - only one section of Southwick has hookups.

The Eisenhower lock at Robert Moses is interesting - rather than a bridge going over the lock, there is tunnel under it. Watching a boat go over your vehicle is a blast.

A little more description of these & a couple of private campgrounds in the area are on my Nova Scotia trip journal.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Anyone stay at Darien Lakes State Park as a launch pad to visit Buffalo and Niagara Falls?
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Sightseeing: Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The Eisenhower lock at Robert Moses is interesting - rather than a bridge going over the lock, there is tunnel under it. Watching a boat go over your vehicle is a blast.
It's not in the Thousand Islands area, but a couple hours west in Peterborough (Ontario) there's a lift lock on the Trent-Severn Waterway: an elevator for boats. It's a National Historic Site. This and the similar lock on the same canal at Kirkfield might be the only lift locks in North America; in both cases, a road crosses under the canal on the high side of the lock.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
I think us Easterners are well represented..

You might want to hit the Adirondacks on the way up!

Adirondack Camping | Official Adirondack Region Website
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Anyone stay at Darien Lakes State Park as a launch pad to visit Buffalo and Niagara Falls?
We used 4 Mile Creek SP, nice park on Lake Ontario.

Irregardless, with your camping permit you can park in any of the state parking areas along Robert Moses Parkway, like Devil's Hole. We parked in the one closest to Niagara and road our bikes over the hill into Niagara.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
We used 4 Mile Creek SP, nice park on Lake Ontario.

Irregardless, with your camping permit you can park in any of the state parking areas along Robert Moses Parkway, like Devil's Hole. We parked in the one closest to Niagara and road our bikes over the hill into Niagara.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just started the route planning for our fall trip from Texas to New Hampshire and back for the fall colors.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
A&B

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17'
Quote:
and things to do in the Thousand Islands
Official Boldt Castle Website - Alexandria Bay NY in the Heart of the 1000 Islands — 1000 Islands NY tour St. Lawrence River
Antique Boat Museum

A couple of attractions for the area... I've only been to the Boat Museum, castle on the list when we return to the area.
A&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:42 AM   #12

Trailer: Placed deposit on 21 NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
I think us Easterners are well represented..

You might want to hit the Adirondacks on the way up!

Adirondack Camping | Official Adirondack Region Website
We love Rolling's Pond and Moffit Beach - great area if you love kayaking or canoeing .
DennisJGray is offline   Reply With Quote