Three Sisters Campground at Dead Man's Flats, AB - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Three Sisters Campground at Dead Man's Flats, AB

Great fall camping Nov 8, 2014 at site 20 right on the Bow River 5 miles down stream from Canmore, 15 from Banff AB

No services, no showers, no flushes, no crowds :-)

Note that careful trailer positioning to keep that solar cell working in the low autumn sun ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20141108_13_21_20_Pro 1.jpg   WP_20141108_13_28_48_Pro 1.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Looks awesome!!!
Yesterday was beautiful but today ... I hope you headed out before the snow storm today, we have shoveled the sidewalk 3 times already, snowed all day & temp falling.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Wow. You folks in Alberta are blessed with some of the most awe-inspiring scenery in the world.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Looks awesome!!!
Yesterday was beautiful but today ... I hope you headed out before the snow storm today, we have shoveled the sidewalk 3 times already, snowed all day & temp falling.
Hell I'm waiting for the ski season to start ;-) the good weather delayed the opening till this Friday (14th)

I am headed over to Banff tomorrow for a site with power to use electric heat to get me through the cold spell this week. Its going to be so cold Tuesday morning I might have to plug in the truck also ;-)
Old 11-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This place must be really busy in the summer, but both times we've stayed there (once in the trailer, once in the motorhome) it was off-season and there was lots of space, right on the river's edge if desired. It is a beautiful location.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Looks awesome!!!
Nice pics. Weather was fair on Saturday but kind of ugly Sunday (today).

We spent Saturday night in Canmore visiting a son who works on the mountain at Sunshine Village and drove home today in the snowstorm. That was sure a miserable 400 km drive. Glad I had left the trailer at home this trip. There will likely be at least some fresh snow at the ski hills after this weekend.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Robert,
Wow that's one large campsite your picture makes me wish I was there.
Mark

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
We've camped there many times and love the campsite. To bad the last flood did so much damage.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That second picture is calendar worthy.......beautiful!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have never camped there, but it certainly looks worthy. Beautiful photos. Less than an hour from home too, might be a great overnight spot for a spur of the moment decision to go camping.

Quote:
Looks awesome!!!
I went out Saturday to our land NW of Sundre to pick up what will be our daughters Trillium 1300, and when we left in the morning there was close to 3" of snow, and it continued to snow all the way back to Calgary. Very crappy road conditions as the snow was landing on relatively warm ground, and was quite slippery. Glad I took my work truck instead of the Pilot, or we would have never made it up the hill from the river. Really good think we left at 9:30AM, as it was only getting way worse.

BTW Ian, it is now housed in my garage (at home), 5 minutes from your place, should you feel inclined to come around and try to spend some of my money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Wow. You folks in Alberta are blessed with some of the most awe-inspiring scenery in the world.
We do have LOTS of great beauty here, but there is also tons across this continent, all different in its own way, but equally as beautiful.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
BTW Ian, it is now housed in my garage (at home), 5 minutes from your place, should you feel inclined to come around and try to spend some of my money.
Thank you for the kind invitation Jim, I would LOVE to come over and discover ways to spend your money. :

I will drop you a PM but it probably won't be for a couple of weeks, have some work related travel coming up over the next few weeks.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
We've camped there many times and love the campsite. To bad the last flood did so much damage.
Actually most of the 2012 flood damage at least in the three sisters campground has now been mitigated.. the loop and sites that were blocked off last spring are now open and accessible but your running out of time for an inspection this year.. campground closes for the winter after next weekend :-(
Old 11-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Robert as we sold our 19 this last summer we weren't able to camp... but we did get one last camping trip in on our way back from ordering our new 5.0TA and stayed there, it just wasn't quite the same, although the vegetation and campground I would imagine should look pretty good by 2015 if we don't get anymore floods.

Cheers Doug
Old 11-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
Hell I'm waiting for the ski season to start ;-) the good weather delayed the opening till this Friday (14th)

I am headed over to Banff tomorrow for a site with power to use electric heat to get me through the cold spell this week. Its going to be so cold Tuesday morning I might have to plug in the truck also ;-)
So I did chicken out and headed over to Banff Tunnel Mountain II for the cold spell. The -28C temps nicely mitigated by 30amps of juice for the trailer, 15amps for the truck block heater, and a warm and spotless wash/shower house for me ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20141111_12_38_48_Pro 1.jpg  
Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #15

That's a calendar photo there...
Old 11-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #16

Trailer: Shopping tv 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Quote:
So I did chicken out and headed over to Banff Tunnel Mountain II for the cold spell. The -28C temps nicely mitigated by 30amps of juice for the trailer, 15amps for the truck block heater, and a warm and spotless wash/shower house for me ;-)

very pretty
mk1549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Managing condensation at - 28C or -18 F

Quote:
Robert, how do you effectively manage condensation under the bed and elsewhere within the trailer under these weather conditions?
dave
Dave Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #18

He says 30 amp for the trailer, 15 amp for the truck and a warm shower house for him....
Old 11-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Whiting View Post
Robert, how do you effectively manage condensation under the bed and elsewhere within the trailer under these weather conditions?
dave
I've got the u-shaped seating area in the rear (no dinette there) so I'm 100% cushions in my trailer. Two cold weather advantages to that vs the traditional mattress in that location .. more insulation in the trailer (additional 3in thick wall cushions in the complete rear area).. and all the escape cushions have the vinyl backsides and areas against the walls.. probably to resist wear in the summer but are 100% effective against condensation that inevitably forms on the walls behind the cushions when its -28c.. when its that cold all you see is a light sheen of frost on the walls behind the cushions. I sleep on a full size thermorest on top of the seating cushions. Ive never had condensation below the cushions. They are over the storage areas which are much warmer then the exterior walls.

First job in the morning every day is to lean the cushions away from the walls and crank up the AC with the heater strip.. the powerful fan in the AC unit pushes a lot of warm air to the far reaches of the trailer. In less then an hour it melts any frozen moisture on the walls behind the cushions which evaporates almost instantly with the low relative humidity in cold weather.

I resist cooking in the trailer as much as possible.. heat water for coffee on the campstove outdoors and use the BBQ extensively.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #20

Movement of air is most important in eliminating condensation, open your blinds....