Total length of 5.0 TA + tow vehicle for camp grounds - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
Total length of 5.0 TA + tow vehicle for camp grounds

Hello,

I will be taking delivery of my fifth wheel in several months and thought to start making campground reservations at Yellowstone national park .

All the 40 ft campgrounds are booked however. Does anyone here know what the total length of the 5.0TA hitched to a short-bed chevy Colorado would be approximately? And if it's over 30 feet(I think it is) how strict are the park rangers at Yellowstone and other campgrounds based on experiences? The website seems pretty strict, it says the tow vehicle and trailer total length must be under 30 '.

Appreciate the feedback!
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My experience was in the Tetons. They mean it, when telling total lengths for rigs. Remember, these campgrounds are 'old.' The campground roads are one-way and narrow. Nothing can hang out in the road. I had to backup as far as I could without backing into the bear box. I couldn't unhook, and then stay unhooked, because it would require I pull the truck forward several feet. But I got in! Thankfully I was camping with Dave&Kathie, they were able to unhook (and park kinda sideways in their site) so we had a vehicle to cruise the park. Good luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My overall length is 38' 9". This is with an F150 and a 6.5' bed. I also have a cargo box in the back that extends about 1' further than the spare tire would.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My overall length is 38' 9". This is with an F150 and a 6.5' bed. I also have a cargo box in the back that extends about 1' further than the spare tire would.
I hope Jim if you ever take the trailer to Vancouver Island that you can afford the ferry fare at that length! You didn't mention that you have the F-150 CREW cab with 6.5 bed, certainly longer than most of us with Ford's have.

I was thinking about you in AZ now while we freeze up here - see my post on the Winter not happening thread.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I hope Jim if you ever take the trailer to Vancouver Island that you can afford the ferry fare at that length! You didn't mention that you have the F-150 CREW cab with 6.5 bed, certainly longer than most of us with Ford's have.

I was thinking about you in AZ now while we freeze up here - see my post on the Winter not happening thread.
Yes, I have the SuperCrew, good to note.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I don't have my 5.0 yet either so I don't have the length precisely, but I did take measurements and make calculations as part of my purchasing decision. Reason being is that I live across Puget Sound from Seattle and the Ferry system charges $20 or more each way (depending on the season) in 10' increments. This was a critical element in our decision to go with the 5.0 instead of the 21' tow behind. We will save $40 - $50 each round trip across Puget Sound.

My 2017 Crewmax Tundra with 5'6" bed is 19 feet over all.
The 5.0 is 21' 2" per the spec sheet on the web site.
At the last rally I measured a 3' 8" overlap on a Tundra similar to mine hooked up to a 5.0.

19' + 21'2" - 3'8" = 36' 6"

I will have a bike rack on the rear that extends ~ 2' so my best guess is that my overall length will be about 38' 6" while hooked up. So under the 40' limit for both the ferry and the campgrounds.

My prior truck, a Tacoma short bed was ~17' overall so if the Colorado is a similar length, it would still be longer that the 30' you asked about.

Hope this helps.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #7

But Arnie, you do have the option of going around and not take the ferry. Going to Vcr Island there's no choice! I haven't measured with the TA but with our old single axle we paid for 35 feet to go to the Vcr Island in 2017. Our 5.0 usually had the step (Escape originally had them on a receiver under the door) mounted on the bike rack but that added a foot so put it in the truck bed for the ferry trip.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
But Arnie, you do have the option of going around and not take the ferry. Going to Vcr Island there's no choice! I haven't measured with the TA but with our old single axle we paid for 35 feet to go to the Vcr Island in 2017. Our 5.0 usually had the step (Escape originally had them on a receiver under the door) mounted on the bike rack but that added a foot so put it in the truck bed for the ferry trip.
True, we could go around but unless it is the middle of the night, the traffic through Tacoma and Seattle is not worth it if we are heading north. We go up to Kingston and cross to Edmonds. Saves about 2 hours and 2 Advils over going around!

My sister lives on Orcas Island. So when we visit her, the ferry is similar to going to Vancouver Island. Do the BC ferries charge in 5' increments or by the foot?
- Bremerton, WA
Old 01-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
My sister lives on Orcas Island. So when we visit her, the ferry is similar to going to Vancouver Island. Do the BC ferries charge in 5' increments or by the foot?
They charge by the foot, it's funny but on the way over I had booked ahead and thought I was 34 feet and they didn't check when I got to the ferry but on the way back I had measured and found I was 35 feet so booked and paid for that and when arrived at the dock they have markings on the pavement and did check.

ooh on edit I see I'm millennial!!
Old 01-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19'
I can only comment on the yellowstone/teton campgrounds.. yes if there's a length restriction they are really strict and you can't stick out to the road (you will have to park the vehicle in the overflow area), sometimes you might get lucky and overhang at the back, or wedged in at an angle and both will fit but since the sites are assigned when you get there it's a gamble.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
I was measured at 35 feet with a 6.5 bed Tundra and a 5TA on our last trip off Vancouver Island from Victoria to Vancouver. No bike or cargo rack.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:46 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I used 35' for Yellowstone although I'm 36' +/- with the 8' bed and Supercab. The large sites at Yellowstone book way out, I reserved the day they came available which was something like 18 months out in 2014. You should book a site that you'll fit on, while some have plenty of room to fudge the numbers, others can be exact.

I had no luck finding sites at the non reservable campgrounds in the park, at least the few I drove through and was glad I had reservations. That was in Sept/Oct.

I think Mammouth may be an exception although I didn't make it up there. It is a huge campground that is all non reservable, just get there early. Summer could be different.

There are some Forest Service campgrounds just outside the gates. Try ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS LOCATOR: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more or one of the other public campground search tools. They are cheaper and as far as I know non reservable. The biggest hassle with them is you have to enter the park each day, traffic can be pretty bad. Do pay attn to their open dates.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
I was measured at 35 feet with a 6.5 bed Tundra and a 5TA on our last trip off Vancouver Island from Victoria to Vancouver. No bike or cargo rack.
Thanks! I’m assuming you have the Double cab, not the CrewMax. Same wheel base as a CrewMax Tundra with the 5’6” bed, however with the 6’ bed I’m guessing the 5.0 overlaps the rear end a bit more.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 01-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaring360 View Post
Does anyone here know what the total length of the 5.0TA hitched to a short-bed chevy Colorado would be approximately?!
The overall length of a regular-wheelbase Colorado (crew cab with 5' box or extended cab with 6' box) is 213". This is presumably a crew cab, assuming that "short-bed" means the 5' box (actually 62"). The hitch is usually mounted with the centre at least 30" back from the cab, or no more than 32" forward of the tailgate, which puts it roughly 40" forward of the rear bumper (allowing 8" for bumper and tailgate, at a guess). So that leaves at least 173" (14' 5") of truck from hitch to front bumper.

Add that truck length to the 21' 2" length of the trailer (which is probably pin to bumper), and the result is 35 to 36 feet. It is certainly well over 30 feet and well under 40 feet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The overall length of a regular-wheelbase Colorado (crew cab with 5' box or extended cab with 6' box) is 213". This is presumably a crew cab, assuming that "short-bed" means the 5' box (actually 62").
NOTE: At the top of the 5.0 TA build sheet I just submitted last week, it states in red letters that the minimum length of the truck bed should be 5' 6" or 66". Just saying ....
- Bremerton, WA
Old 01-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
NOTE: At the top of the 5.0 TA build sheet I just submitted last week, it states in red letters that the minimum length of the truck bed should be 5' 6" or 66". Just saying ....
A good point - while only 4" short of the listed minimum, it's going to be a challenge to get enough cab-to-pin clearance with the 62" box Colorado. The alternatives in the Colorado/Canyon line are to get the shorter cab (for some combination of better clearance and slightly shorter overall length), or to get the long-box crew cab, which will add about a foot to the wheelbase and overall length.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote