Travel from Vermont - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 17B
Travel from Vermont

Hi Everyone -
We will be leaving at the end of Aug to travel across the country to pick up our new 17b. So excited! Looking at Google, there appears to be many different ways to get there - and back. Obviously we'd like to get there as fast as we can and then take our time coming back. Unfortunately, we only have a little over 3 weeks - so not much time to linger anywhere.

Has anyone taken the Fast Ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee? I was thinking going out that route might save us some time and driving.

Any thoughts on great campgrounds to stay in WA? I'm thinking near the ocean and/or Seattle. When we get here, we will be brand new owners and would want to stay for a few nights to relax a bit and check out our new home.

Also thinking about Glacier National Park on our way home (it would be early-mid Sept by then - hope the Going to the Sun road is still open). Nice campgrounds near there? Things to do at that time of year?

I'm thinking our next and probably last stop might be Mt Rushmore and/or Crazy Horse - then we'd head home. Any nice campgrounds near there?

Thanks! As soon as Tammy starts sending photos, I'll try to get them on here.

Mark & Judy
RAV4 V6
JudyVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Travel from Vermont

Have you talked to Ian and Jenny Eddy, because they did the same trip from Vermont 3 years ago to pick up their 19.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #3

Hi Mark & Judy:

I'm picking up my 5.0 July 12th. We live in South Florida so our trip home will be is a little further away.
We are flying to Portland, Oregon buying a Frontier and driving up to Chilliwack. We plan on doing a little sight seeing too by visiting yellow stone & Mt. Rushmore. Our itinerary is as follows:
From Chilliwack taking the Copeville to Port Townsend ferry - staying at Fort Worden.
Then traveling to Hammond, Oregon and staying at Fort Stevens.
Traveling to North Bandon, Oregon To Bullard State Park.
Traveling to Crater Lake, Oregon (Crater Lake Resort Campsite).
Traveling to Nampa, ID - staying at Ambassador RV Resort, Caldwell, ID)
Traveling to Grand Teton, WY, Staying at Grand Teton Park RV Resort, Moran, WY
Traveling to Yellowstone, WY, Staying at Fishing Bridge
Traveling to Bighorn, WY, Staying at Sibley Lake, Bighorn, National Forest.
Traveling to Custer/Badlands, SD, staying at Crooked Creek, Hill City, SD (10 miles to Mt. Rushmore).
Traveling to Sioux Falls, SD and heading south east through Omaha, NE to our home in South Florida.

We only have 15 days once we pick up the trailer so we can't spend too much time at each place but I did some research and spoke with some people who did the places. This will be our first time traveling with a trailer so we look forward to this adventure.

Good luck and enjoy,

Roger & Julie
Roger from Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Badlands NP is about 60 miles from Mt. Rushmore on the way east, definite worth a stop. Cute little town, Interior, SD restaurant has unbelievable Indian Tacos. The Badlands should be seen on a moon light night, like being on the moon
Old 07-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

I have taken the fast ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon. It is fast but it will not save you that much time. The reason is you need to arrive 2+ hours ahead of time and then upon docking wait for your vehicle to be unloaded. Costs run about $80 per passenger and $80 per vehicle. Tolls around Chicago will run about $15 depending if you have an iPass (they are common in all the Northeast and will work in Illinois).

The ferry is interesting but not that interesting and not a time saver. I would guess that the majority of passengers are avoiding Chicago driving or looking for the experience.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Just Google the "going to the sun " road because part of it will be closed for road maintenance--I think the last day the whole thing is open is the 15th of Sept---I know because we are doing it that very last day!!!
Made us change our plans a bit...
Old 07-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #7

I haven't traveled that road for well over 30 years. Would like to do it again some time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Also Beartooth Highway in Montana, Charles Kuralt called it the "most beautiful highway in the world"
Old 07-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #9

Trailer: No more Escape 21

If you are planning on taking the Copeville to Port Townsend ferry, it is strongly suggested that you make ferry reservations, https://business.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/reservations/

Fort Stevens is a nice park with two different types of camping: near the water and in the woods. The movie, An Officer and Gentleman was filmed there. Port Townsend is a good place to visit and shop and about 5 minutes way.

You'll have a great time with your new Escape!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 17B

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the ferry isn't what I was thinking and won't save me much time (but would cost me a bundle). Back to my google maps to find another route
I knew there was 1 trailer in VT, but they had it delivered. I did not know there was another one. How would I contact Ian and Jenny?

Also, thanks for info about Montana roads. I will go back to my trusty friend - Google - and check them out - never heard of Beartooth Highway. I was thinking the going to the sun road might be closed due to snow, not construction. Ha! what do I know...

@Roger, you sound so organized. I only hope that a week before we leave we will be as set as you are. Safe travels! and enjoy your new 5.0 (that'll be my next one )

JudyVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyVT
I knew there was 1 trailer in VT, but they had it delivered. I did not know there was another one. How would I contact Ian and Jenny?
HERE is their user info. They have not posted in a while. You could try sending a PM to them, they might get email notification. If you want to PM me, I have an email address I could give you that would work. They are very nice couple, I enjoyed spending a weekend with them.

edit: As an afterthought, here is Ian's website which is public info anyway, and has all their contact info on it. He made us a small fireplace poker that is the envy of our friends.
LINK
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #12

One thing I soon realized after starting to tow a trailer, is that you should always double the time you would normally calculate for travel in just a car/truck/suv. I was used to driving at highway speeds + 5mph from sun up to sundown when I would drive across country staying at motels. Now, pulling a trailer, I keep at between 55-60 mph. Plus, you need to leave time to find a camp ground, get set up, and tear down/hook up before you leave. You'll also be stopping a couple of more times per day for fuel. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but it is something I've learned to build into my trip time with a trailer. Regardless, it's still fun.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #13

I have towed lots, and pretty much do the same speed as when not towing, about 10 kph over the limit, but rarely over 110, maybe 120 on good highways. With getting 25% less fuel economy there are a couple more fuel stops, but not too much. When travelling through, I find it way quicker to find a spot off the beaten path (rarely use a campground when through travelling), than to find a room to check in to, and get all set up in. With a trailer you can stop and are instantly set up. If you do look for an available campground that can take a bit of time too.

If you are doing lots of hills though, that can add a bit of time, but that is usually a small percentage of the total trip, even in places like BC.

I guess what I am saying is that over all the years I have towed a trailer that if it even added 5% to my travel time, that would be it.

Sometimes though, I just take more time because I am not in a hurry much of the time, but that is a totally different comparison to me.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod

We are heading through Washington State as well this summer, and have done some research. We are stopping at Escape to have the cargo box added on, and then crossing the border to Larabee State Park. This will be a short drive. From there we head to Deception Pass, which gets great reviews! I would make a reservation. Mt. Rainier is also highly rated, but it may be out of your way. We are also going to visit Cape Disappointment at the southern tip of Washington State, on the coast, as most Capes are
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote