Traveling with your dog...also a family member - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Traveling with your dog...also a family member

How challenging is it to travel between Washington state and Canada with a dog? Are there special requirements beyond traveling with their up-to-date health/vaccination records and licenses? We love to travel with our Portuguese Water Dog throughout the US, but now want to venture into Canada as well.

ROWDY II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Not challenging at all. Just have the health/vaccination records with you. They may or may not ask for them. They will likely hand you a cookie for the dog.
There are, however, rules about dog food. To my recollection, it needs to be factory sealed. But, again, they probably won't ask.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We crossed the border at Sumas and back from Chilliwack, with our 70 pound Ben in the car, with no questions asked about him. We came prepared, carrying updated documentation of his vaccination records, etc. Best to have and not need than to need and not have.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #4

Dog On Board:-)

Thank you all so much for the up-to-date information. We are picking up our 19' Escape next week and then the traveling fun will begin!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 17B
I've crossed the border many times with multiple dogs. Giung either way, I just hand over the current rabies certificates along with my passport. Never a problem.

As an additional safety measure in my travels, I've got this sign: (contacts covered)

image.jpg
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Sally has it right. All you need is a copy of recent rabies shots. We actually have never been asked to show them though. They must be within 3 years. Seeing vaccinations only need be done once in their lifetime, if seems they don't care about that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 17b
Rabies are also done every three years here in the U.S., so that has to be current, and the official papers also ask what type of vaccination it is (apparently there are various types of rabies' shots). Your vet can get the required forms from the CA authorities. I always have mine current, but have never been asked for them. I've crossed multiple times along the Montana/ID/WA borders.

I also think that having dogs (esp. three, like I do), helps keep you from getting directed into the search lanes, as the agents would rather not deal with them. I was crossing at Chief Mtn once and they were stopping virtually everyone going back into the U.S. When they saw my dogs, they looked at my passport, looked at the dogs, and waved me on through (and no, not Rotties or German Shepard types, but cattle dogs).
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #8

Dog On Board:-)

I really appreciate all of the helpful comments:-) Thank you to such a wonderful group of people
Old 04-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 17b
And don't forget - you can take your dog along on the trails in Canada's Natl Parks, which you can't do here in the U.S.

And the vet health records have to be done within 30 days of your crossing to be valid.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
And don't forget - you can take your dog along on the trails in Canada's Natl Parks, which you can't do here in the U.S.

And the vet health records have to be done within 30 days of your crossing to be valid.
The dog does have to be on a leash in the Parks here, and there are a couple trails they are not allowed on, though very few. We have seen a very select few NP trails in US NPs that allow dogs. For instance, there is only one out of the many in Zion, and it is also the only one allowing bikes too, just an easy wide trail along the river.

When entering Canada, only a Rabies Vaccination Certificate is required.

Quote:
The rabies vaccination certificate must:
  • be written in English or French;
  • be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
  • identify the animal (breed, sex, colour, and weight);
  • state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
  • indicate the date of vaccination;
  • indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
  • specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).
Here is a link to a guide to fill out, which will give you the results. I got the above results using an over 8 month old dog, from the USA.
Importing or Travelling with Domestic Dogs - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

In the US the rabies vaccines must be done at least 30 days before entry, NOT be done within 30 days of entering.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...abies-vaccines

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote