Utah National Parks - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
Utah National Parks

We just ended a 4 week trip, most of it in Utah. Our favorite by far is Capitol Reef NP. It's a smallish park but has loads of hiking and a great scenic drive. The campground is on a first-come first-serve basis but there were spaces until mid-afternoon. There are no hookups but water is available, the restrooms are clean but (no showers), and there is a sanidump. The scenery is just awesome and if you like geology it is fantastic.

We also found the North Rim Grand Canyon, Arizona, a great place. Of course, the canyon is grand and the campground was very pleasant. If you can, reserve a site on the edges of the campground. Some have views of the canyon and others abut a ravine. Showers are $1.50 and the restrooms are clean. The whole area is forested and right now the aspens are golden. Very beautiful.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Re: Utah National Parks

We were at Grand Canyon North Rim a year ago. As matter of fact we were there the last night they were open for the season. I can guess the showers were great, they were coming in the next day to tear the shower building down and build a new one. You benefited from the new construction.

I would agree that it is an excellent place to camp. So much different from the South Rim, like another world. Reservations are recommended however.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I just left Zion Park in Utah today. We have hiked and biked around there and Bryce Canyon for the last couple weeks. Absolutely fantastic country. Looking forward to the day when I can afford more time, and explore deeper and further into this unique landscape. I love travelling in country that affords good exercise while enjoying world class scenery. Pretty sure I lost a few pounds on this trip, and still enjoyed a few glasses of wine and bottles of beer every day.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21

A couple of Utah state parks that are worth visiting (and have campgrounds) are Goblin Valley & Kodachrome Basin. Both have restrooms with hot showers, a dump station and off site water, and a few sites at Kodachrome have electric. Both hiking & beautiful scenery at each. There is an interesting slot canyon (Little Wild Horse Canyon) about 7 miles from Goblin Valley, and a couple of arches in or near Kodachrome (Shakespeare Arch in the park & Grosvenor Arch about 18 miles south of the park on Cottonwood Road.)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod

Just a caution for anyone traveling with a dog, dogs are not allowed on trails in American National Parks, even on a leash. We love the National Parks south of the border, but this really puts a damper on things for us. When we are told this by the rangers, we always ask if it is ok if we carry a gun, and the answer is yes. Hum, we reply, you must have had lots of problems with dogs down here!
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA

Hi: ddevin... I don't think it's the dogs fault!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #7

We say it with a wink and a smile! It really is a shame though, as the National Parks are so spectacular. We are forced to have either my wife or me wait in the car with our very well trained dog while the kids do the hike. Yes, dogs with irresponsible owners can be a problem on trails, but it is too bad that they have painted all of us with the same brush. Nevertheless, we may be heading to Utah soon, so the information on this thread is useful.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with the effect that a dog's mere presence can have on wildlife and the environment. Multiply that by countless thousands of dogs. In addition, of course, are bad owners.

The parks are willing to let people in even though they are often a nuisance to the wildlife and environment, too, maybe more than dogs would be!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012

Looks like we all have great experiences in Utah! We will go back and Kodachrome and Goblin look like good candidates. I love slot canyons. Interesting and eerie. THe whole area is full of hiking and photo opportunities. Can't beat losing weight and having fun at the same time!
We also visited Arches and Canyonlands but Capitol Reef was our favorite by far. The old Mormon orchards were full of delicious apples which you could pick for free if you ate them on site. Otherwise, it is ten cents/pound. Such a deal.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud
I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with the effect that a dog's mere presence can have on wildlife and the environment. Multiply that by countless thousands of dogs. In addition, of course, are bad owners.

The parks are willing to let people in even though they are often a nuisance to the wildlife and environment, too, maybe more than dogs would be!
Yes, dogs have the potential to stress wildlife, but I would suggest that rather than banning dogs from all trails, to ban them from trails that would be particularly susceptible to dog related problems. The way it is now you can't even take them on short paved paths to viewpoints! I would also argue that the parks in Canada, which do allow dogs on trails, have not suffered as the result of their dog friendly approach.

This thread has really got us thinking of Utah as our next trip, perhaps as soon as December. I just googled Kodachrome, which is a Dog-friendly State Park, and it does look amazing. It is close to many of the sites mentioned above. Any other suggestions for Utah and area? We are a family with two young boys...and a friendly, well- behaved, but marginalized German Shepherd!