Visiting the Northwest - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Visiting the Northwest

Have started looking into a fall trip to check out the Canadian Rockies as well as Glacier NP in the states. I know some National Parks require one to fight for reservations up to a year in advance, hence the early start. If time permits we'd like to see Washington and Oregon too.

Thinking of heading to Jasper NP arriving just after the Labour Day weekend 2016 then work out way south. Guessing at 3 weeks in the Rockies, maybe another 3 in the PNW.

Knowing we have a good number of folks for BC and Alberta I was wondering if you folks have favorite campgrounds or areas that you would share, or some to avoid. We're not into crowds or commercial campgrounds, if they can be avoided, no need for hookups. We prefer hiking to shopping, the quieter a campground the better.

Thanks for any help you care to give.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We did a two week trip this past July, staying in Lake Louse, Banff, Radium and Waterton without booking more than about 3 days in advance at any location. Waterton over the long-weekend was the most difficult to get sites. Whenever possible, I try to book in advance as it eliminates much of the worry about getting a site. However, there are still first come - first serve campgrounds in the Mountain Parks that are not subject to being filled up long in advance by online bookers.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Start with Camping | British Columbia | Destination BC - Official Site

Look up Forest Service Campgrounds. Those have no water or power, outhouse and generally less pressure. Off the beaten path, but avoid them on long weekends.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

Looking at a schedule for Canadian holidays they show
Labour Day 9/5 and then Thanksgiving 10/10.
Imagine I'd only need be concerned with Labour Day, as far as full campgrounds go.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Start with Camping | British Columbia | Destination BC - Official Site

Look up Forest Service Campgrounds. Those have no water or power, outhouse and generally less pressure. Off the beaten path, but avoid them on long weekends.
I take it I'd need to look at campground in both BC and Alberta? looks like the border kind of splits the mountains.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #6

Yup. Look up Alberta Tourism on Google and you'll find tons of info for Alberta too.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
We spend a bit of time in BC and Alberta rocky mountain parks. Peak summer months in full service sites particularly in more southern parts of Alberta and BC are busy and pre booking where it is available is best. It also depends on how remote and rustic do you want.

I would visit the most northerly campsites first early September/late August, e.g. Jasper, and work your way south. There are a number of campsites around Jasper which are all nice, I like Wapiti over Whistlers. I would then travel south along the Icefields Parkway and there are some no service campsites that are beautiful with many great hikes from the campsites or a very short drive, i.e. Wilcox, Mosquito creek. Search where you want to hike and pick your campsite.

I find the camping options around Lake Louise and Banff less exciting, i.e. large sites and busy but the hiking is fantastic and they seem to clear out by mid September.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #8

Also, think you need to plan your route before members can help with specific campgrounds.
Would you travel through BC to the coast and down to Oregon, or would you head south from Alberta and across to the coast?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Many Escape owners in Washington and Oregon will chime in with hints once you post a preliminary route.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Looking at a schedule for Canadian holidays they show
Labour Day 9/5 and then Thanksgiving 10/10.
Imagine I'd only need be concerned with Labour Day, as far as full campgrounds go.
Labour Day is usually pretty busy, as it is the last camping trip for many. For us, we don't even think about shutting it down until Thanksgiving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
I would visit the most northerly campsites first early September/late August, e.g. Jasper, and work your way south. There are a number of campsites around Jasper which are all nice, I like Wapiti over Whistlers. I would then travel south along the Icefields Parkway and there are some no service campsites that are beautiful with many great hikes from the campsites or a very short drive, i.e. Wilcox, Mosquito creek. Search where you want to hike and pick your campsite.

I find the camping options around Lake Louise and Banff less exciting, i.e. large sites and busy but the hiking is fantastic and they seem to clear out by mid September.
I more or less agree with this. Wilcox and Mosquito for me are much preferred over Wapiti or Whistlers. The last two are very much like the Banff area sites, but they are still great places to stay, as there is so much to do away from the campsites. Two Jack Lake near Banff is a favourite.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Something to keep in mind is Parks Canada closes a lot of the smaller National Park campgrounds after Labour day. A couple of our favorites along the Icefield Parkway are Wilcox as mentioned and also Rampart Creek. Great hiking close by and both were open until October this year. Another favorite is Kicking Horse in Yoho National Park, incredible hiking there and that campground stays open late as well.
skogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #12

If you are heading south, Lundbreck Falls may be along your path. Has some power sites. I caught a nice 14" rainbow trout by walking about 30' over to the Crowsnest River while my potatoes came to a boil.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #13

Proposed Route

Kind of hard to do as I don't know what's worth visiting. Irregardless, playing with Google map I come up with the following.

Coming across Alberta into Jasper from Saskatchewan on 16 up from Portal ND. (would Jasper campgrounds's get filled up on Labour Day weekend?)
South on 93 to Banff NP
South on 1 to Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, I've read they have great hiking.
South on 2 to Many Glacier CG in Glacier NP
Two Medicine CG in Glacier
West to Mt Rainier, would like to stay off I-90, maybe rt 2.
NW around the Olympics on 101
If it's worth it, stay on 101 south to Crescent City CA, or maybe grab 20 west in Newport.
Head west, maybe stopping in Mammoth in Yellowstone, then towards home. Might be taking on too much though.

Would like to get the the Jasper area midweek before or just after the holiday.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
We have rolled into the big Jasper campground, Whistlers, on long weekends in the past and got a spot without a reservation. That said, the smaller campgrounds around Jasper don't take reservations so if you get there Thursday you can grab a spot and be set for the weekend.
skogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogan View Post
We have rolled into the big Jasper campground, Whistlers, on long weekends in the past and got a spot without a reservation. That said, the smaller campgrounds around Jasper don't take reservations so if you get there Thursday you can grab a spot and be set for the weekend.
That's what I was figuring on, arriving Wed or Thursday.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Bob,
Your trailer is not allowed on the Going To The Sun road. You can unhitch and do it. If the traffic is not too bad go all the way to West Glacier and return via US 2 which skirts the southern edge of GNP. The scenic part for all but the driver is the western side of Logan Pass.
Since it is circuit you could reverse directions, but you would see US 2 twice in the same direction when you left Two Medicine CG bound for Rainer.

Here is a perverted but scenic route to Rainer NP that avoids interstates mostly. You also can head west from Tonasket to explore the North Cascades, but I do not know a good way to avoid Seattle that way.

https://goo.gl/maps/9PuhLQnaLUE2
Old 11-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Bob,
Wenatchee is worth a look that time of year as well if you like pears and apples. May be a bit early tho.

https://goo.gl/maps/Tf4foLyKo652
Old 11-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #18

Thanks Rob, never heard of Wenatchee, I'll look it up. I knew about the size limits on GTTS Rd, I've heard it is very tight even with just a full size truck.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Bob, you need to make this trip again next May and stop in Osoyoos, BC for the Escape rally.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #20

I hear you Jim, but from what I could find many roads are still closed in May. Maybe the following year, we were talking about a trip west one spring, would like to see Yellowstone in June.