What do people think about staying at Nk'Mip - when there is no rally - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Kentucky Alleyne is a spot I think you'd like gbaglo. It about 35k from Merritt.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Thanks for the report Jmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I'm here at Moon Shadows now. Shower house etc is very clean. Sites are a bit in even but we got a level site. $35.00 for full service!
We are booked for Moonshadow in September for our maiden 17b voyage

So it s good to read a positive report. 2 nights there, then Peachland for 2 nights and Manning Park Provincial Park for 2 nights.

This first trip for meant to give us time to experiment with the Escape trailer systems and try out towing for the first time!

We are looking forward to the trip and are enjoying the "hatching" pictures of our 17b as we watch it being made

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #23

Larry
Kentucky Alleyne is much prettier, quieter, nicer an only 35k further away (from Merritt) and only$16.00.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Larry
Kentucky Alleyne is much prettier, quieter, nicer an only 35k further away (from Merritt) and only$16.00.
True, but no services, true?
Not disputing that it is better, just mentioning that it lacks services, if that's what you require.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Yea, that's right Glen we decided we want services the first few nights while we experiment with the trailer's systems. We appreciated your recommendation of Moonshadow. Booking was easy. The person on the telephone helpfully suggested a site she thinks we won't provide too much entertainment to other campers as we back into a site for the first time.

I notice that the Kentucky Alleyne Provincial Park doesn't take reservations. This prompts me to ask how Forum members manage trips to Provincial parks that don't have reservations.

Do people end up lining up early hoping for a site. End up driving down the road looking for a place to crash/park for the night? Would it help to be fully retired, traveling during the week, during the off season?

Whenever I've travelled I've always known where I was going to be spending the night. So the idea of not having reservations seems like a bit of a risk.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #26

My buddy Keath and I pulled out of Skagit Provincial Park ( Silvertip campground ) after two days because we couldn't fish. The river was high and showed no sign of going down any time soon. ( Passed another Escape leaving as we drove in - 45 minutes from anywhere ). We were the only occupied campsite in the first come, first serve campground.
We went to Kettle Provincial Park, which was full and were told that three campers had been lined up at 7am for the first serve sites that morning. The reserve sites had been booked up months ago.
We drove a four kilometers to a private campground on the river. No services, but the sites were right on the river, and we had our choice of many. Cost six dollars more per night.
It was under new ownership. Apparently the former owners used to sneak down in the night to steal booze from coolers. All I know, is I'd rather camp right next to the river, even if I had to pay a few dollars more. Provincial site has showers, pit toilets and a sani-dump ( which we used for $5 ). Sites at the Provincial are large ( but so was ours ) and removed from the river.
My 40 watt solar panel more than kept up with our usage, but we only operated a couple LED lights for a couple hours a day. Used the water pump a few times, ran the fridge on propane and charged some iStuff. I didn't run the Maxxfan because we weren't in the trailer and I couldn't see the point in drawing warm air in to replace warm air.
Ran on propane while traveling and although temps got up to the mid 80s, nights were cooler and the fridge ( 5 cu. ft. ) maintained 36 degrees or less. I cycled frozen food or freezer packs through the fridge. Came home with more than a dozen cold beer.
Attached Thumbnails
kettle private rv.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Came home with more than a dozen cold beer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #28

Quote:
True, but no services, true?
Not disputing that it is better, just mentioning that it lacks services, if that's what you require.
True, no cell service, no WiFi.
But, at only 35k +- away from Merritt it's well worth a look.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #29

Been up Kane Lakes Road? Harmon Lake? $6 a night for senior at Forest Service Camp. 35 minutes to Merritt government liquor store and Canadian Tire sani-dump.
It's between Merritt and Kentucky Alleyne. Pit toilets, no water.
Attached Thumbnails
FSCamp Harmon.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #30

Where's a good place in Merritt to fill with water? We filled at Kentucky Alleyne. But the site you mentioned doesn't have a tap anywhere on the grounds?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #31

No taps, no well water.
You can get water at the Canadian Tire sani-dump or at the sani-dump across the road from Clayburn RV Park. There is a sani-dump at Moonshadows, but I don't know if they charge if you aren't staying there. I'd check the Visitor Centre too.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Where's a good place in Merritt to fill with water?
I have found that some good sources of water in other cities include stores which cater to RV customers (such as Canadian Tire), truck stops (such as Husky), and municipal services sites. According to the listing at SaniDumps.com, Merritt has all of these. I have used these sources in other cites but have not tried any of them in Merritt: I have towed (and driven a motorhome) past Merritt, but not stopped there for RV services.

All of the above should be Merritt's city water (which comes from wells, and is monitored and chlorinated); RV parks may provide their own local well water, which may be great but may be less predictable in quality.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
You can get water ... at the sani-dump across the road from Clayburn RV Park.
Clever people at Claybank RV Park... they get listed as having a sani-dump and water station, and it's actually the city-provided facility right across the street. Then again, the Claybanks RV Park looks like it might have been a City of Merritt facility at some point.

(By the way, it's Voght St... not "Voight" street as in the SaniDumps listing)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #34

Thanks for correcting Clayburn to Claybanks. I figure no need to be accurate since it's not a place I would choose to stay again or recommend.
24-hour lumber mill nearby.
I think Claybanks itself is a municipal RV park.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post

Whenever I've travelled I've always known where I was going to be spending the night. So the idea of not having reservations seems like a bit of a risk.
In our experience in BC provincial parks and Washington State parks at some campsites reservations are not possible early and late in the season, yet that is one of the best times to camp -- weather can be reasonable and the campsites are much less crowded. As an example, in April this year we camped at Fort Casey State Park on Whidbey Island. Reservations were not possible and when we arrived we found all the serviced sites were taken, so we stayed in an unserviced site and managed quite well with our solar panel supplying our power needs. https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_...7643667056523/

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I used to make reservations and found that sometimes they added additional stress to the trip because of check in or having to stop at a particular time. Sometimes you want to stop earlier or later than the predetermined time. So I stopped making reservations when I got a self contained unit. There are hundreds of APP's available with campgrounds or rest stops that you can carry with you. KOA's will always find s spot for you. Knowing this allows you to "throw caution to the wind" and stay where and when you want to instead of a schedule. After all, isn't abandoning a schedule one of the reasons we camp?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
In 9 weeks and 6700 mile trip home from picking up our Escape on May 2, I only reserved 2 nights. One of my goals was to learn how to travel with a trailer after having spent my camping life with a tent. I learned to get to campgrounds early, to drive past "campground full" signs and check with the campground host, during summer stay Thursday through Sunday, bypass hookups for more options, be flexible, etc. We managed with only 1 commercial and only as we needed to empty tanks. A little more "stress" but allowed much more flexibility.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #38

We've always/often found mid-week doesn't present an over crowded camp site problem. Week ends do more often. 4 days dry camping requires, for us, a night at a full service site to clean tanks, shower, laundry, etc. Planning and booking long term in a favorite Provincial Camp Ground can be a computer nightmare.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #39

But worth it. Provincial C Gs often have usually have water. Some have electrical plug ins at the site. Rarely, if ever, have I seen sewer hook up or electrical on a pad at a Provincial CG.
Porteau Cove a Provincial CG is almost impossible to book because of its beauty but we booked the best site on the CG last year in mid September. There was no fire ban, wood for sale or bring your own, electrical on site, LP tank exchange $35.00 a night.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #40

So Larry, don't fret about always knowing where you'll be staying. You've got a self contained dream right behind you. The world is your CG!!