Which Campground at Cultus Lake - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Which Campground at Cultus Lake

We will be picking up the new trailer on the morning of Thursday, Sept. 25th. We don't have to be back in St. Paul until October 20th, so we can take some time coming back. Our current fantasy is to head back via the Canadian Rockies as far as Banff and Canmore, then heading south through Glacier to Missoula. We expect to be on the flat lands, east of Rogers Pass in MT by about the 13th of Oct. Since we are going to be staying in Canada for a while, I think it makes sense to spend the first few days close to Escape, trying out the trailer so we can return if there are any issues. We didn't have any issues when we picked up the Lark, and I don't expect any problems with the Skylark, but, just to be safe rather sorry, we will stay there. Staying over the week end will give us a bit of time to explore the Chilliwack Area, and rest after a fairly quick drive to Washington and BC.

Which brings me to the heart of the matter: There are 4 campgrounds at Cultus Lake: Entrance Bay, Delta Grove, Clear Creek, & Maple Bay. Is any one of these better than the others? We are more quiet campers, and if the bugs could be held in check, that would be great.

I am presuming that Cultus Creek is the best place to stay around Chilliwack. Last time we stayed in Cottenwood, but I wouldn't want to spend 4 days there. If there are other suggestions, they would be welcome.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We enjoyed our stay at Porteau Cove Provincial Park (located right on the coast along highway to Squamish/Whistler) much more than our stay at Cultus Lake. We may have just picked a bad time of year, but Cultus Lake was super busy, loud boating activity, and many bothersome wasps. Porteau Cove was also busy but the beauty of the place more than made up for it in our eyes.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
We stayed at Delta Grove for one night in early June 2012, and it was mostly empty. My brother lives near there and says that it is party-central for lots of people during the summer months.

Be sure to ask for a level site -- ours was a steep downhill with a dogleg. Very scary for the first time backing up with a fifth wheel trailer!

Sharon
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We stayed at Cultus for two nights right on the lake -- pretty spot. The first night there were partiers (they got rained out) the second night was fine -- I would guess that in September it wouldn't be very busy. It was very convenient to Chilliwack when we had to take the trailer back to fix a window. And I would definitely recommend staying more than two nights -- there were so many things we needed to buy and we needed to figure out how to use the storage -- we only had two nights there and it wasn't enough.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
We enjoyed our stay at Porteau Cove Provincial Park (located right on the coast along highway to Squamish/Whistler) much more than our stay at Cultus Lake. We may have just picked a bad time of year, but Cultus Lake was super busy, loud boating activity, and many bothersome wasps. Porteau Cove was also busy but the beauty of the place more than made up for it in our eyes.
Porteau Cove is one of my favorite Provincial Camp Grounds.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #6

Forgot to mention -- We were at Delta -- it was recommended by the B&B owner.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

Thanks much. We will try to stay in Delta. But as it turns out, the campsites aren't reservable after August 31st. Since we will be arriving on a Thursday, I am sure we will be able to find a site. Cultus lake apparently has whatever causes "swimmer's itch", so maybe that will keep any partying to a minimum, especially in Sept.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 sold, 21NE on order
Does Cultus Lake have electrical hookups?

Jack
bouterse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Geisby's
You must be getting excited, just over a month away from picking up your new Escape! If you are need of a b&B right on Cultus Lake, I can recommend my sis-in-law's Willow Cottage 604.858.4193 or willowcottage.com

The lake will be quieter and should still be warm enough for a swim in Sept. We were visiting the end of July and the area was crazy busy - it is very popular. It was a crawl getting to the lake from the freeway.
cheers, Anni
Geisby's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

We didn't have electric hookups. I can't say positively that there are none, but I don't think there are any.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geisby's View Post
You must be getting excited, just over a month away from picking up your new Escape! If you are need of a b&B right on Cultus Lake, I can recommend my sis-in-law's Willow Cottage 604.858.4193 or willowcottage.com

The lake will be quieter and should still be warm enough for a swim in Sept. We were visiting the end of July and the area was crazy busy - it is very popular. It was a crawl getting to the lake from the freeway.
cheers, Anni
We are getting excited. It seems like every other day the UPS guy is dropping something off for our trip. Today we got the new Jensen LED TV and tv stand. And we are spending evenings with the road atlas figuring what we are going to do on the way back.

But the Cultus lake park web site contains a cautionary note about "Swimmers itch". so not sure we will be doing much swimming!

Tags
chilliwack, cultus lake, pickup