Winter Camping -- curious about your experiences/campground availability - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Winter Camping -- curious about your experiences/campground availability

Hi all,

I just did a forum search and was surprised I didn't find more on winter camping (maybe I just didn't look long enough?)

It looks like we might actually get delivery on our 17B in February, which is earlier than we expected. We usually take a "get out of the dark and depressing rural Michigan winter" trip in Jan/Feb, and were planning to do that via frequent flier miles in 2012, but the news that we might actually have "Oliver" the 17B to Escape in by Valentine's Day has suddenly caused us to wonder whether we should pick up in Ste St Marie and just head south instead.

We are camper neophytes, so this would be our first experience with ANY RV -- and thus I don't know if the winter is a good time to experiment. I also have no idea how many campgrounds are open in the dead of winter, particularly in the northern Midwest. Not that we'd linger long, the idea would be to head to Big Bend in Texas if we had enough time ... but it's a long way down there.

What do y'all think? Are there good online resources for winter camping? What are your experiences? Will the furnace keep you warm even when it's well below freezing?

This is also why I'm asking about the extra insulation on another thread

Thanks in advance,

~e
& Dovekie the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
medora66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #2

Re: Winter Camping -- curious about your experiences/campground availability

hi,
I would suggest you buy the insulation package it will make a difference doing winter and summer camping. Yes the furnace works very well keeping the unit warm inside. We run the max fan on low all the time to help remove moisture. Bodies make moisture. We camped at the Oregon Coast last February. Used our water tank during the night and disconnected the campground water hose in case of freezing.

Chuck
Old 11-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

E,

One major consideration to me is towing in winter weather here in the upper Midwest.
(Preface all the rest here with my firm admission that I am as total wimp about towing on icy roads. I'm sure lots of heartier folk tow on slippery road with no problems)
For my part, I would recommend that you be prepared have enough time to wait out snow/ice storms. But even then as you well know, the road will still often have lot of icy patches that can be treacherous even in a car, let alone towing. One early spring -in our car, not camping- we were caught in Iowa during an ice/snow storm that closed I35. When it finally reopened we headed north, but found most of the road was still ice covered and it was very windy. I watched a relatively small trailer fishtailing on the ice with the wind blowing it sideways so badly that I was amazed the driver was able to keep it out of the ditch. Along with that is the nasty thought of how much salt the bottom of Blue would be covered with when winter driving up here.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #4

Eric, yikes, I hadn't even thought about that.

And the road salt -- yuck -- would that prove damaging to the trailer and/or insulation?
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora
Eric, yikes, I hadn't even thought about that.

And the road salt -- yuck -- would that prove damaging to the trailer and/or insulation?
I don't think the salt would damage the foam insulation, but it can sure cause havoc on any rustable metal parts. Auto companies spend millions trying to get their vehicles to not rust out (at least too quickly) due to salt. If I were going to take Blue out in the winter when the roads were salted, I would want to get to a car wash to get all the salt cleaned off very frequently, especially the frame and axle parts. When Mary and I talk about winter trips it usually involves a plan to go straight south quickly to get to warm areas ASAP.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #6

Neophyte question -- what sorts of rustable goodies are under an Escape trailer?

Car wash sounds like a good idea. Some drive on salted roads seems inevitable with a mid-winter pickup timeframe ...

(And speaking of salt, shouldn't you be preparing a fine turkey brine, Eric?
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

Me? Cook? No, Mary likes to eat good tasting food, so I just do whatever I am directed to do in the kitchen,like "cut these" I think she has the turkey in some sort of salt rub (got the recipe from NPR!)

Frame pieces, axle, brake drum, etc are all potential rust spots.

Eric

Old 01-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

My wife and I went out for a few days of winter camping last week. Here are my observations:
1. If you are retired like we are you can pick a time with a good weather forecast. We saw a one day window of sunshine, and that was all we needed to get going
2. No problem in finding places to stay in Washington State. We went to Bay View State Park which we have visited before and were able to get our favourite spot
3. Check out the campsites ahead of time. We discovered that Deception Pass State Park campgrounds were closed. Quarry Pond State Park was open and some people were staying there, but it is heavily forested -- not ideal for winter camping.
4. Don't bother de-winterizing. We had a few jugs of water for washing plus a container of good drinking water, and that was all we needed. There was running water at the campsite but I didn't think it was worth hooking up and then having to drain all the lines again for a few nights.
5. Have a mission. I was looking for signs of spring and my wife was looking for nice fabric for quilting -- we both found what we wanted
6. Take a movie. We took along some favourite DVDs and played one of them on my MacBook Pro. The evenings are long in winter!
7. Eat out. We had a nice meal at a nearby Olive Garden restaurant. Make winter camping a special event!

More pictures of our adventure here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_v...228269/detail/

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP4527sm.jpg  

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

Elizabeth,
I have read only good advice so far, probably the best is to call ahead for openings. We took delivery in Sault Ste Marie in early May and it was cold, they are quite a bit further north than the two of us. Also, if delivery is coming across Canada allow your self extra days. That poor driver may be forced to sit out snow on his route and be late arriving. If Tammy is using Let It Ride Carriers you can call the driver or dispatch to see how they are doing.

If I were to go camping out of the Soo I would head south and probably take a motel room the first night rather than messing with the cold. Kentucky and Land Between the Lakes maybe passable at that time of the year. Probably better to get to Tennessee or even further south. Corp of Engineer campgrounds in Alabama?

Dry camping is probably the best you can hope for, I would not want to mess with a frozen black water tank unless I had a heated garage, even then it would be a mess getting it drained. Electricity is all you need and ask Tammy to be sure the propane tanks are purged and filled.

So much will depend on that window of weather. You may just be happy to get back to S. Michigan or if you are lucky a sunny day or two can make a difference.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Geo

We camp all year round,
Winter time or below freezing, we use portable water, portable toliet.
We have a 1000 gen. for power when needed.
Seldom in RV camp grounds, usually in forestry or some lake spot off the grid.
As for driving , take common sense precautions.
Enjoy Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #11

Well winter camping on the Coast of California is pretty easy.. If you head to the mountains (Tahoe), where there's real snow chains are required for your tow vehicle and I believe the Camper as well. Right now the weather is just outstanding in the SF Bay Area and probably stay that way until mid February!

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We were in out 17 b two nights ago in Vermont where temps reached -23 F. Can you say frost on the windows?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:35 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Where did you spend the night? thought everything would be closed .
Old 03-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Last week we took 3-4 days and our 19 to Burney Falls, CA. It's a California state park between Mt. Shasta and Lassen NP, about 3500 ft elevation. The weather has been so nice we decided to give it a try. It was very enjoyable with day temps in the 50s(F) and night in the 20s(F). The campground is open all year, but the majority of the loops were closed for winter. No hookups but they had hot coin op showers. During our stay we were the only campers there, which was nice. For winter camping be sure to check what's open.

The furnace got a good workout. For these conditions we found we could camp 3 to 4 days before the battery needed attention. The site was in the trees and the 100w solar panel couldn't keep up with the use. Currently we have one deep cycle 12V battery. We have the extra insulation and insulating windows but not the underside foam.

There was more condensation inside than we expected, but with two people and two large dogs I suppose it's normal. The fourth night we stayed at an RV park in Weed CA. That night we ran an electric heater and kept the overhead fan running on low. No problem that night, electricity in amazing.

Night time temps in the 20s(F), and warm daytime, we didn't worry about the tanks freezing. Camping when the temps stay below freezing I would be concerned. The idea of keeping the trailer winterized is feasible but negates many of the trailers features (sink, toilet, etc). For us this would be a pain as we don't winterize.

The propane/CO sensor started to complain, several times, for no good reason. But I, and a pair of wire cutters, had a short talk with it. Haven't heard a peep from it since.

I suspect in the future we'll use Shasta for cold weather camping. No bathroom but the water tank is inside, won't freeze, and it has better insulation that our 19.

I've also not towed on snowy or icy roads. Done a lot of driving on these, but not towing. I think I'll avoid this, which will be our limit for winter camping. Leaving a few extra days to sit out storms is a good idea, or take short trips where the forecast is reasonably accurate.

We read a couple of books rather than movies. But some form of inside entertainment is needed.

We'll be out again, it was a good trip.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think if you had the foam tank spray then you could use you water in the winter was long as you keep your heat on.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Last week we took 3-4 days and our 19 to Burney Falls, CA. It's a California state park between Mt. Shasta and Lassen NP, about 3500 ft elevation. The weather has been so nice we decided to give it a try. It was very enjoyable with day temps in the 50s(F) and night in the 20s(F). The campground is open all year, but the majority of the loops were closed for winter. No hookups but they had hot coin op showers. During our stay we were the only campers there, which was nice. For winter camping be sure to check what's open.

The furnace got a good workout. For these conditions we found we could camp 3 to 4 days before the battery needed attention. The site was in the trees and the 100w solar panel couldn't keep up with the use. Currently we have one deep cycle 12V battery. We have the extra insulation and insulating windows but not the underside foam.

There was more condensation inside than we expected, but with two people and two large dogs I suppose it's normal. The fourth night we stayed at an RV park in Weed CA. That night we ran an electric heater and kept the overhead fan running on low. No problem that night, electricity in amazing.

Night time temps in the 20s(F), and warm daytime, we didn't worry about the tanks freezing. Camping when the temps stay below freezing I would be concerned. The idea of keeping the trailer winterized is feasible but negates many of the trailers features (sink, toilet, etc). For us this would be a pain as we don't winterize.

The propane/CO sensor started to complain, several times, for no good reason. But I, and a pair of wire cutters, had a short talk with it. Haven't heard a peep from it since.

I suspect in the future we'll use Shasta for cold weather camping. No bathroom but the water tank is inside, won't freeze, and it has better insulation that our 19.

I've also not towed on snowy or icy roads. Done a lot of driving on these, but not towing. I think I'll avoid this, which will be our limit for winter camping. Leaving a few extra days to sit out storms is a good idea, or take short trips where the forecast is reasonably accurate.

We read a couple of books rather than movies. But some form of inside entertainment is needed.

We'll be out again, it was a good trip.
Nice report; will remember to bring my wire cutters Had same problem in the 17B- PITA Love MacArthur Burney Falls campground.

Was going to go skiing at Brian Head, UT- but looked at the month forecast and the area from Zion up to Arches and down to Capitol Reef looks really good weather-wise for the next 2 weeks. Canceled the plane ticket and loaded the trailer. Lot of work-eh? I'm pooped but am glad to be heading out bright & early tomorrow. Always stow some ski jackets we bought at a fundraiser in Mammoth last October on our way home from ChilliW just in case.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I went to Jasper National park A couple of weeks ago, This was my first real winter camping experience with either Escape trailer that we have owned. I did not use any of the water or plumbing in the trailer, it is winterized and I left it that way. We stayed in Wapiti campground and had electrical hook ups, there are really nice heated full service washrooms there. It was about -10C over night each night. Used a 1500 W space heater to avoid the condensation from the propane furnace. The only condensation issue I had was in the over head storage compartments, in the future I will just leave them open and either empty or lightly packed. The only real issue we had was the propane regulator froze up and I had to pour warm water over it both mornings to get it flowing. I am going to replace the regulator and hope that solves that issue. All in all I we had a great weekend of snow shoeing and a lot of fun. Beats the heck out of a hotel room.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Might as well use the electric for heat if you have it, but I don't think using propane has anything to do with condensation. The furnace draws and vents to the outside so nothing but heat enters the trailer.
Only ways to avoid condensation are ventilation and to stop breathing.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Had no condensation with one person and propane and electric heat. Fan vent open in bathroomt. Two people and only one electric heater w minimal venting gave slight condensation.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:41 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Air movement is the key to keeping condensation to a minimum. Open your over head MaxxFan a little and your kitchen window a little and your window blinds up will keep the wetness down.
As Glenn correctly pointed out, it is not the type of heat but the breathing inside causing the issue. By circulating and exchanging that air you will be fine.