5.0 TA Storage Shed- Being Planned - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Thanks for the input.
I'm going to build it 12' wide. I live on a suburban lot.
Building code and site zoning control the height, size and lot line set backs-I can only build it a wee bit higher (10' plus the roof)
I already have a 660 sq ft shop, within a few feet of this propsed one. It does not have room for the 5.0 TA.
I'm looking for a way of removing the truck cap, when the trailer is already in the shed- hence the idea of a swing boom- mounted on the outside of the shed.

sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #12

Door Considerations

I have poured footings and foundations for my new garage.
The dimensions are 14'x24'.
I'm considering either a 10' high door or an 11' high door. I'd rather go 10' because this then allows me to lower the overall height profile of the garage.
The door width is going to be 10'

Building code dictates the maximum height of my building, so I'm working from both the top down, and grade with drainage, up. The fudge room will be between the head room above the door, and the potential attic storage space (adjusting the roof pitch within the max height). Optimum head room is 14" but I have been told by a garage door guy that 9" might be the minimum headroom.

ETI have said that the 5.0 TA height is 9' 3"and with AC 9' 6". The garage door height of 10 equals a finished height of 9' 11''.

Potentially this means the top of the trailer has 5" of clearance.

Does anyone have a 5.0 TA that they garage, and what door height do you have?
I'm asking for discussion on which door height is the best. Also headroom issues with a powered garage door.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
10' height will work fine for you then. You can finish the height of the door opening at exactly 10' in height. In normal use, the bottom edge of the door will hang down a bit, but can be forced up to give you the full 10', though not really needed.

Here in Calgary, the interior finished height is only allowed to be 3m (9' 10"), but we have done 10' without the inspector saying anything. If you want to go higher, you need to first apply for a relaxation, which you may or may not get, as neighbours have the right to give input.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
I have poured footings and foundations for my new garage.
The dimensions are 14'x24'.
I'm considering either a 10' high door or an 11' high door. I'd rather go 10' because this then allows me to lower the overall height profile of the garage.
The door width is going to be 10'

Building code dictates the maximum height of my building, so I'm working from both the top down, and grade with drainage, up. The fudge room will be between the head room above the door, and the potential attic storage space (adjusting the roof pitch within the max height). Optimum head room is 14" but I have been told by a garage door guy that 9" might be the minimum headroom.

ETI have said that the 5.0 TA height is 9' 3"and with AC 9' 6". The garage door height of 10 equals a finished height of 9' 11''.

Potentially this means the top of the trailer has 5" of clearance.

Does anyone have a 5.0 TA that they garage, and what door height do you have?
I'm asking for discussion on which door height is the best. Also headroom issues with a powered garage door.

Thanks
Hi: sleepy... Our 5.0TA is 10' 3" to the top of the King Jack TV antenna. I asked Reace to measure it when we were still in ETI's shop. Our suspension is set at the lowest setting for our Frontier 4X4. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140621_152611.jpg (215.1 KB, 15 views)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Watch out for the Jack antenna. It is higher than everything on a 21'.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
If you find you really need the taller door, one way to gain the space for it is for a little creative framing of the garage, without raising the roof ridge height.
If the garage is a gable roof, with the ridge running from front to back, you can take advantage of that high front vertical gable area to set the door opening height higher than the side wall top plate heights.
If, for instance, your roof pitch is 4:12 (4 inch rise in each 12 inch run), and you have 2 foot walls on each side of the door, you can gain up to 8 inches vertically in the area of the door.
It is not your ordinary garage framing, but it is not unusual, and is certainly do-able.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
If you find you really need the taller door, one way to gain the space for it is for a little creative framing of the garage, without raising the roof ridge height.
If the garage is a gable roof, with the ridge running from front to back, you can take advantage of that high front vertical gable area to set the door opening height higher than the side wall top plate heights.
If, for instance, your roof pitch is 4:12 (4 inch rise in each 12 inch run), and you have 2 foot walls on each side of the door, you can gain up to 8 inches vertically in the area of the door.
It is not your ordinary garage framing, but it is not unusual, and is certainly do-able.
Thanks for this idea- I understand what you're suggesting. The collar ties (via the rafters) would then hold walls vertical.
My maximum building height (by code) is 14' 9". I can place an 11' high door, plus headroom and roof but would prefer to keep the building profile as low as possible (small suburban lot aesthetics).