6V Battery Boxes on 17B's - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Since Glenn's battery is outside, on the back, and his 17 is a year older than mine, maybe it isn't the extension, but beefing it up for the weight. The 6V batteries weigh 65 lbs each. As Donna noted, it is expensive to make the change after the build.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
When I purchased my 17, the single 12V battery was not on the bumper...
Ah, that's why I was asking... the first Escape 17 I saw (this one in 2006) had the battery outside, and recent ones do, so I was wondering if they were ever any other way. Apparently so - one of the many detail design changes.

So
if a 17 (such as Jon's) is from a year in which the single battery was inside and the dual batteries need major frame work (perhaps extension), accommodating dual batteries on the year could be a big deal
but
if it is from a year with a single battery on the outside at the rear bumper (such as J Mac's), it shouldn't take more than another pair of supports from bumper to crossmember, plus perhaps relocating the spare to toward the middle... not a frame extension.

Other than extension (if it is not already long enough to accommodate one battery), and an appropriately placed crossmember (which a trailer with a single rear battery would have) I can't imagine any other frame change. The frame size (1.5" x 3") is the same either way, and I think the bumper is similarly the same size regardless.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I put in my build sheet, I was notified going from a single 12V battery to dual 6V batteries would cost me an additional $600.. after build.
Sure, I can see that:
  • two batteries
  • each of the 6V batteries used for this is more expensive (bigger, different type) than the standard Group 27 12V battery
  • extra wiring
  • who knows what structure or housing to accommodate dual batteries in the 5.0TA
Conversion of a 17' or any other model would be similarly expensive. Even if there was no structural or housing work, a pair of these batteries plus cables and terminations would be hundreds of dollars.

The current website options list shows only $250 for dual batteries (on a 17' or a 5.0TA), but remember that in place of the stock single battery, so the dual batteries and extra cabling must be worth well over $300 (after allowing something over $50 for the stock battery). All of the extra labour of removing the original cabling, installing the new cabling, and changing whatever there is for housing and mounting is therefore less than $300 on the 5.0TA... you can't do much for under $300 these days.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
It would be interesting to see pictures of the framing of Glenn's with the single battery on the rear bump compared to mine and Jon's with the dual 6v. As Brian points out, the bumper is already extended enough for the battery, so maybe it is just extra cross member on the left side to support a second battery? Also, since Glenn has the bike ready mod, doesn't that require some bumper/frame beefing up already?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote