A Better DIY Adapter to Blow-out Water Lines - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
I put a filter on mine since the only oil I like floating on the surface of my water is the type that comes from coffee beans
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #22

ooops, here's the photo
Attached Thumbnails
Air Fitting.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
I put a filter on mine since the only oil I like floating on the surface of my water is the type that comes from coffee beans
Yes, a filter and water separator at the air compressor.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or, an oil-less air compressor? It's what mine claims to be.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This is my compressor. I wouldn't describe it as portable, although I suppose it is. Haven't used it in a year or more.
Don't you see Glenn its not a portable its a porterca ble.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Or, an oil-less air compressor? It's what mine claims to be.
Yes, an oil free compressor is a good option for that. Shorter lifespan, noisy, typically higher amperage draw, but great for occasional use and interior finishing. Something to add to my Christmas wish list. Every situation needs a specific tool. I have too many situations
Old 11-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
The primary use of the air compressor is nail guns and air wrenches so higher pressure (90 psi) is usually needed.
Well, some people find other uses for them.

Back to Glenn's original question about the need for a downstream pressure regulator. If the length of the air line is short you don't normally need one. But there is a pressure drop in long lines. If you're using a 50' airline and air tools you want to be able to adjust the actual pressure the tool's receiving.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
15-09-2009 10-38-29 AM_0008_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Fenders for the tricycle?
Attached Thumbnails
Horsing2.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
No, my super fast light weight tug. What's everyone worried about GVW and all that stuff? The trailer's got brakes

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
27-03-2013 1-33-41 PM  01_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is an easy adjustment, one I make a few times a day, some days. Different nail guns I use, air tools, etc, all require different pressures. It would only take you seconds to change.
No debate from me on that. I adjust mine frequently. I was only trying to explain why one would not set the compressor to 40 psi and leave it there, as was asked by the previous post. Most of my air compressor applications require far more than 40 psi. But then again, I have never winterized any of my campers so I've never used compressed air to clear the water lines. About the only thing I have ever done is to drain the water heater at the end of the season.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Re: "...super fast light weight tug..."

Yowch-- nice fenders!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Re: "...super fast light weight tug..."

Yowch-- nice fenders!
I also worry about getting compressor oil in the fresh water system, not to mention the nasty smelling water that accumulates in the compressor. After working with compressed air for almost 40 years, I would never risk contaminating the fresh water system with it. I only use RV antifreeze for winterizing.

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No, my super fast light weight tug.
Ah, the classic Lotus 7 (or one of its descendants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Yowch-- nice fenders!
The sweeping fender (or "wing")... one of the great features of that design, although I like the minimalism and functionality (especially with wider tires) of the cycle fender alternative. Wouldn't help much towing, though...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I also worry about getting compressor oil in the fresh water system, not to mention the nasty smelling water that accumulates in the compressor. After working with compressed air for almost 40 years, I would never risk contaminating the fresh water system with it. I only use RV antifreeze for winterizing.

Dave
Other good reasons not to blow out the lines.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #35

Unless you use an oil-less compressor.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B
Quote:
Unless you use an oil-less compressor.
But, what about the condensate that smells like dirty socks.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #37

You're supposed to drain the compressor after use, at least that's what my Porter-Cable manual says. There is a valve you open. Shouldn't be any condensate in the compressor.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #38

BTW, I'm not defending compressed air. I don't use mine because it's too much work. Have to drag it around or through the house to the front drive, plug it in to an extension cord, find the hose and the city water attachment, do the job ( with my wife inside operating and watching the taps ) and then drain it and drag it back. I find anti-freeze and a hand pump much easier and I know the job is done.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
You're supposed to drain the compressor after use, at least that's what my Porter-Cable manual says. There is a valve you open. Shouldn't be any condensate in the compressor.
You drain the tank after each use to prevent condensation from forming rust in the tank, which over a long period, could rust out the tank. Anyone who uses an air compressor extensively should know that. If you really want to "dry" the tank, open the drain and run the compressor for a couple of minutes. As far as contaminating water lines with compressor oil, if the compressor is properly maintained, oil contamination is unlikely. About 10 years ago, I experimented with my oil bath compressor which was approximately 10 years old at the time. I sprayed air into a folded paper towel for 5 minutes. Examination of the towel revealed absolutely NO oil. Then I bubbled compressed air through a rather large bucket of water for 30 minutes. When finished, there was absolutely no oil sheen visible on the surface. But I still put an oil seperator on the air line because I frequently use the compressor for spray painting.
Seriously, I worked with public water supply systems for more than 20 years, and having seen some of the stuff in potable water that I have seen, oil contamination from blowing out lines would be the least of my concerns. If you really want to worry about the water you drink, worry about what is called contaminants of emerging concern, like pharmaceuticals which are in water sources almost everywhere. They get into the water supply when excreted by animals and humans after taking various drugs.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
You drain the tank after each use to prevent condensation from forming rust in the tank, which over a long period, could rust out the tank. Anyone who uses an air compressor extensively should know that. If you really want to "dry" the tank, open the drain and run the compressor for a couple of minutes. As far as contaminating water lines with compressor oil, if the compressor is properly maintained, oil contamination is unlikely. About 10 years ago, I experimented with my oil bath compressor which was approximately 10 years old at the time. I sprayed air into a folded paper towel for 5 minutes. Examination of the towel revealed absolutely NO oil. Then I bubbled compressed air through a rather large bucket of water for 30 minutes. When finished, there was absolutely no oil sheen visible on the surface. But I still put an oil seperator on the air line because I frequently use the compressor for spray painting.
Seriously, I worked with public water supply systems for more than 20 years, and having seen some of the stuff in potable water that I have seen, oil contamination from blowing out lines would be the least of my concerns. If you really want to worry about the water you drink, worry about what is called contaminants of emerging concern, like pharmaceuticals which are in water sources almost everywhere. They get into the water supply when excreted by animals and humans after taking various drugs.
Well put Carl, I agree that any tool needs to be maintained and a compressor is no exception. I paint with mine regularly and any contamination in the air lines (water, oil, etc) becomes instantly visible as flaws in the paint job. I have the opinion that I don't want to consume any chemicals when I can avoid them (like RV Antifreeze), that is the reason I blow out my lines. Use an oil seperator and an air drying if you are concerned. If you simply fully charge your compressor tank and let if cool, any water/oil will condense at the bottom of the tank, a quick drain before blowing out the trailer with the cooled air.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote