A winterising question from a newbie. - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec
Trailer: Escape 5.0 2007 pulled by RAM 1500 ecodiesel
Posts: 21
A winterising question from a newbie.

Ok, I had the water system part done. The pink stuff is flowing from all taps and is resting in the tanks. This part is done.
I removed all that needed to be removed from inside the trailer.
The remaining question is the AGM battery.
Should I move it inside or can it say outside with a battery tender?
What do you recommend? What do you do? If I can avoid hauling this heavy beast inside... I'll be smiling
Thanks in advance for your support
__________________

allenmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Hertel, Wisconsin
Trailer: TBD
Posts: 2,058
We leave the batteries in both our trailers in the trailers all winter .
Both trailers are plugged in and every week we turn the power on to the trailers for four hours to charge the batteries . We have never had any problems with the batteries over charging or becoming depleted .
Solar is another solution but that means climbing up on a ladder every time it snows
__________________

__________________
“ The Danbury Malcontented Curmudgeon
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
alanmalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Posts: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenmaloney View Post
Ok, I had the water system part done. The pink stuff is flowing from all taps and is resting in the tanks. This part is done.
I removed all that needed to be removed from inside the trailer.
The remaining question is the AGM battery.
Should I move it inside or can it say outside with a battery tender?
What do you recommend? What do you do? If I can avoid hauling this heavy beast inside... I'll be smiling
Thanks in advance for your support
I have solar and a pair of AGM batteries. Good AGM batteries should loose about 1% of charge every month if totally disconnected. I leave mine connected to the propane detector which probably pulls another 4 to 5% of the charge out of the batteries but I do make certain the main disconnect switch is in the off position.

30 minutes of solar a week is enough to make up the lost power, keeping the batteries at 100% full on average. A full battery will not freeze (although there may be some room to worry in Alaska or Montana). I'm in warm Colorado and never have pulled my oh-so-heavy size 31 batteries for the winter. (And our typical snow storm melts in just a few days.)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenmaloney View Post
The remaining question is the AGM battery.
Should I move it inside or can it say outside with a battery tender?
What do you recommend? What do you do? If I can avoid hauling this heavy beast inside... I'll be smiling
The risk to the battery of cold weather is freezing, and a charged battery will not freeze. With power available to run a maintenance charger ("battery tender"), the easy and effective solution is to just leave the battery in place with the charger attached and running. In cold weather there will be very little self-discharge, and so the charger will need to do very little to keep the battery suitably charged. That's what I do, and that's what I would do if I were down south in Montana.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,733
Allen, Do you have roof-mounted solar? We keep our 21' under a carport, and the roof solar still gets enough sun to keep the battery topped off, and you shouldn't have to worry about your battery if it maintains a full charge - one way or another. Back to your RV antifreeze, based on reports of others, also be sure to: 1) pour some into the galley sink and shower drain traps (actually, our galley sink trap has a drain plug in the bottom, so I just drain ours instead), and 2) remember to winterize the toilet and outside shower faucets, if you have those. Some have mentioned water trapped just inside the city water attachment and needing to push a center relief tab to release that water on down into the system (or something like that, I just blow ours out with compressed air). Also, someone once reported water trapped between the water heater cold water input one-way valve and the lower winterizing valve. So after draining the water heater, I always un-screw that cold water connection a bit to let any water drain that might be trapped in there, but it has never amounted to much of anything in our camper. I hope that all makes sense.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The risk to the battery of cold weather is freezing, and a charged battery will not freeze. With power available to run a maintenance charger ("battery tender"), the easy and effective solution is to just leave the battery in place with the charger attached and running. In cold weather there will be very little self-discharge, and so the charger will need to do very little to keep the battery suitably charged. That's what I do, and that's what I would do if I were down south in Montana.
Does the factory battery charging system have a desulfator mode? If not, that might be one justification for pulling the battery (or disconnect and leave in place) and over-wintering it on a maintenance charger that periodically desulfates the battery. Or so it seems....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
alanmalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Posts: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Allen, Do you have roof-mounted solar? We keep our 21' under a carport, and the roof solar still gets enough sun to keep the battery topped off, and you shouldn't have to worry about your battery if it maintains a full charge - one way or another.
Yes, I have the standard Escape roof mounted solar. ( I also have an equivalent portable - 150 watt - that I use for various tests when bored.) For example, last fall sometime, I tossed a sheet over the portable with it laying flat. It still produced 0.075 amps (75 milli-amps). That is enough to offset the self-discharge. But you may want to disconnect the vampire (power eating) propane detector while under a car port if no direct solar reaches the panel all day.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Does the factory battery charging system have a desulfator mode? If not, that might be one justification for pulling the battery (or disconnect and leave in place) and over-wintering it on a maintenance charger that periodically desulfates the battery. Or so it seems....
I wouldn't worry about desulfation, but anyone who is concerned should use a suitable maintenance charge (or "battery tender") instead of just leaving the stoc converter/charger running. The WFCO 8955 does not have a desulfation mode; left without any loads turned on it will just float at 13.2 volts indefinitely.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Notasulga, Alabama
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Yes, I have the standard Escape roof mounted solar. ( I also have an equivalent portable - 150 watt - that I use for various tests when bored.) For example, last fall sometime, I tossed a sheet over the portable with it laying flat. It still produced 0.075 amps (75 milli-amps). That is enough to offset the self-discharge. But you may want to disconnect the vampire (power eating) propane detector while under a car port if no direct solar reaches the panel all day.

--
Alan
Hey Alan, My earlier post was for "Allen", the OP, but thanks for your additional interesting information. By the way, "Alan" is my middle name, so I'm right there with you!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
alanmalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Posts: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Hey Alan, My earlier post was for "Allen", the OP, but thanks for your additional interesting information. By the way, "Alan" is my middle name, so I'm right there with you!

Whoops.
Too accustomed to miss-spellings of "Alan".
__________________

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.